• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Evicted, Homeless & Suicidal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evicted, Homeless & Suicidal

I've been a council tenant (1 bed flat) for 9.5 years.

My history consisted on arrears which would accumulate whenever I'm unemployed or out of work and last time the local council took me to court was 5 years ago in which we agreed part payments. That went on till I lost my job again so in 2012 November the council reactivated an automatic eviction notice under pretext that they don't need to get any from the court. I managed to clear off my arrears before they evicted me.

After that I got a part job which meant I paid couple of installments but this went on till they sent another EVICTION NOTICE on 15th of last month. The eviction stated that unless I paid out, the council would evict me on 25th of July. I owed around £930 which I managed to pay £990 by 24th...a day before eviction (I got a confirmation of payment reference and printed a statement from the council's website).

When the housing officer came with the courts officer she first accused me of subletting my flat I told her the burden of proof is on the council considering they've never written a letter to me on this subject, they've never called me for an interview and have never conducted any investigation on this subject at that point she apologized (I never said anything).

After this she stated that they've come to evict me as per eviction notice. I told her that I've cleared my arrears previous day and showed her the confirmation receipts sent to my e-mail by the council.

When she called the rents officer who checked and told her that they couldn't see any payments on the system

The housing officer advised I go to speak to the rents officer who in her opinion if they can confirm the payments then she would let me back in.

When the rents officer called me (after 3 hours) she said that there's inst much she can do and the decision has been made since its the 4th eviction notice so the order will stand even if I cleared my arrears before. I tried to reason with her and told her that for the first time in a long time, I've managed to get a full time permanent job which I started on 1st of July and I will be able to pay my rents on time and my employer had offered me monies to pay an advance of 6 months rent from this month. She flatly refused to accept my offer so since 25th I've been homeless, I sleep in a night bus and this issue has taken a toll on me mentally.

I believe that the council officials have acted unreasonably in refusing to cancel the eviction order given the rent account had brought up to date before the eviction date 25july. I had not breached any other terms of my tenancy and given that I had remedied the current breach. So I've taken legal action so the court makes an order to:

1. Cancel the eviction order
    2. Set aside the suspended order for possession

I also wish to point out that l feel that I've been unlawfully evicted from my flat because when I returned at night I found that my locks had been changed which mean's I could not gain entry into the flat. There were no signs or notices put up on the flat to indicate as to why this had occurred and indeed who was responsible for this act.

Under the circumstances it can only be assumed that the council had failed to cancel the eviction order despite their knowledge of the above stated facts. In still I feel misled by my housing officer who attended my property and advised me to leave home to go and see my rents officer therefore enabling the bailiffs to gain access/entry to my property in my absence. So is it possible to ask the court to make an order so I could re enter my property?

I also wish to point out that the flat is once of those built in the 1960s and is about to be demolished and decanting officer had visited me for the re housing process in September which would involve the council paying us for the process.

Furthermore when the housing officer came she wrongly stated that she heard that I was subletting my property something which I've never done in since I moved in 9.5 years ago. When I asked her for evidence she couldn't offer any and she just apologized and said that's besides the main point so basically she was making false accusations which was quite unprofessional on her side.

I wish to point out that I checked the statement which I printed from the council website, it shows all my arrears were cleared on 22nd even though I cleared them on 24 and my eviction was (25th). Not sure why but I've printed it.

I took the following measures since then.

1. Complained to my local MP who asked two questions:

a) When did I clear my arrears
    b) The payment reference numbers.

They told me they will make an inquiry with the council and would revert with any feedback.

2. I also went ahead to complain to the Councillor who is the Chair for the boroughs Housing Committee.

3. Contacted my local Shelter but from what I was told, that I'm ''intentionally homeless'', and since I have a job, I have no criminal records and single it means that I wouldn't be given a priority even though I've loved locally for the last 13 years.

4. Went to my GP and called the mental health line about my suicidal and all I got was a note from my GP. while the Mental health people said they would assist me in anyway they can but this will be on 9th.

5. Contacted a lawyer but she's not giving me enough attention since she's always busy and claim that she has a barrister on standby for Monday's hearing.

I wonder what are my chances in this subject.

Re: Evicted, Homeless & Suicidal

Met with the councillor who chairs the housing committee in the borough

I gave him the whole batch of docs as given by my lawyer and from his understanding this subject is all over the council so he's appointed one person to coordinate the whole this from a single point.

That said, he says council's rents department told him on the phone that they sent me a letter (which I never got) stating that I will be evicted regardless of clearing the arrears.

His arguments are; I paid my arrears before the eviction date, my current employer agreed to pay 6 months in advance rent payments which the council declined, and now the council is losing revenues and considering the building is being decanted, I would be moving out by end of next month (September)

Furthermore, He says the council has put up notes in their system that I've sublet the flat (which i never have) , and the council has never written or asked me for any clarification on this subject and has never produced any evidence whatsoever that I've sublet the flat which would be a breach of my tenancy agreement and on this the burden of proof lies with the housing department.

Comment

In addition, this is the response given by one of the borough's housing officer to my local MP by stating the following:

Thank you for your emailed enquiry dated the 29th July 2013 regarding the above named former tenant ofXXXXXXX. I am afraid you have not been provided with the totality of the events that led to the eviction of XXXXXXX. I will provide as much details as possible in this response so that you are clear on why we are not able to consider allowing XXXXXXX back into the property.

I feel it is best to start off by saying that the tenancy XXXXXXX was brought to an end by a Court of law after due processes have been followed. Once a tenancy has been determined in this manner, looking to reinstate is not possible by law. Secondly any action on our side to reinstate a tenancy brought to an end by a competent court of law is in itself a violation of the court order.

What XXXXXXX ought to have done prior to the Eviction date was to apply for a ‘stay of eviction’. XXXXXXX is aware of this process as he has a history of taking this action successfully in the past. Just to enable you have a picture of the rent actions please see below the history of possession actions taken by the rent team and actions taken by XXXXXXX to avert the eviction.

There was an eviction date set for August 2008. As per procedure, a visit was made to the property and the eviction letter was delivered on the 24th July. XXXXXXX made an application to stay the eviction at a hearing on the August 2008. The warrant of Eviction was suspended on terms that the rent is paid plus £3.05 toward the arrears weekly. With the suspension of the Eviction, XXXXXXX was able to continue to reside in the property as long as he paid the rent and the extra towards the arrears.

By the march 2009, the arrears were creeping up again as XXXXXXX was not keeping to the terms of the Court order that suspended the eviction that was meant to hold on the August 2008. As a result of his non compliance with the court order, the papers to resubmit for the hearing was collated but XXXXXXX cleared the arrears. Similar instances where Eviction dates have been received by Court and then XXXXXXX cleared the arrears happened in January 2011 when eviction should have taken place on the January 2011 and again in December of 2011. On 26th March 2012 arrears were again cleared so eviction was called off but tenant had not made any payments since March 26th 2012 so a final Warning Eviction letter was sent. As a result of not adhering to the terms of his tenancy agreement to pay his rent and also not adhering to the court order, a visit was carried out to the property on the April 2012. On the August 2012, paper work to enable eviction be carried out were completed and an eviction date for the 28th November 2012 was received and notified by hand delivery to XXXXXXX on the 9th November 2012.

On the 21st March 2013, a visit was carried out regarding arrears. Eviction ratification was completed on the 7th May 2013 and confirmation of eviction for the 25th July 2013 was received from the Court. Eviction was carried out on the said date as per the norm.

On this occasion XXXXXXX failed to carry out his usual action of applying for ‘a stay of eviction’. Instead he made a payment of £500 on the 24th July, £490 on the 25th July and another £100 on the 25th July to clear the arrears but he failed to notify the court of this intention to clear the arrears and apply for a ‘Stay of Eviction’. Mr. XXXXXXX knows that the courts have the final say with regards to his management of his rent account and his tenancy. He has been through this enough times to know what is required of him. As of the date and time of eviction, only £500 of the arrears has been received.

There are a number of reasons why the tenancy cannot be reinstated. The most critical of the reasons been the fact that it has been determined by Eviction in a competent court of Law. Secondly, a ‘stay of Eviction’ was not applied for by XXXXXXX when he knows very well that the only avenue open to him was a stay of eviction application.

I hope you find that I have covered the reasons why the tenancy cannot be reinstated. If you need further clarification please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely

XXXXXXX

COUPLE OF POINTS TO NOTE:

Basically the housing officer tried to come up with legal semantics and chronology of events (I believe they will use the same arguments at the hearing on Monday....) I wish to point out they've left out the previous accusation that I had sublet the flat....and I think this will also be the official response to the Councillor who is the Chair of the Borough's Housing Committee.

1. They presented a story to MP

2. I will present facts based on evidence

3. They claim i owed them 930 in arrears

4. I paid £990 a day before the eviction date

5. They claim I paid £500 on 25 the eviction day

6. I have receipts from the council showing I paid £990 a day before (24th)

7. They claim I'm a not a consistent payer

8 They failed to point out that at times when I had a permanent job I paid up to 4 months in advance & I offered to pay them 6 months in advance and I was told by the rents officer that: "we don't want your money"

9. They wrongly accused me of subletting

10.When I asked for evidence since the burden of proof is one their side, They failed to produce any.

11.They failed to point out that I was inline for removal payments in September since the building is about to be knocked down.

12. They still have me in their system as dishonest tenant and that means my reputation as a good citizen and I don't know why they're so vindictive towards me.

Comment

What do you want exactly?

http://www.shelter.org.uk/

http://www.crisis.org.uk/

http://www.mind.org.uk/

http://www.sane.org.uk/

http://www.rethink.org/

The Samaritans Tel: 08457 90 90 90
        Last edited by labman; 4th August 2013, 18:58:PM.

Comment

Which council is involved, please?
          Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Hello George to Legal Beagles. I assure you we will do whatever we can to help :grouphug:

First things first. Can you tell me about your current situation. Are you technically homeless and staying with friends or sleeping rough? I'm guessing from your posts that you may be a single person without dependants so possibly not classed as priority. Also if the council are accusing you of causing yourself to be evicted due to rent arrears have they also labelled you as *intentionally homeless* which is why they may be refusing to re-house you?

What is the court hearing about on Monday (tomorrow) even though it's too late in the day for me to help with that tonight? Please post up again after the hearing to see if there's anything useful we can add. Just remember that after every court hearing there's usually still a chance to appeal or make another application if things don't go your way

Having read your posts it does seem you may be the victim of red tape and bureaucracy which makes my blood boil.

I see you were referred to Legal Beagles by the BBC so please PM me with details of that because we have a very good working relationship with the media and we will do what we can to help

Plan B xx

Comment

Apologies, my current post might be riddled with typos. I'm using a phone and I'm on a bus. I'm sleeping on a night bus that goes to central london. By 8am I'm usually at the gym where I took membership for shower and perhaps change of t shirt (managed to get one or two from primary) considering when they came to evict me on 25th I never took anything other than my phones, and passport so technically my employer has been quite tolerant but I try to keep as clean and patient as possible. It never occurred to me I would be sleeping on buses like those that were shown in a tv documentary some few weeks ago but that's life and I'm determined to fight and I wouldn't wanna go back to the dole (it's been 5 years since I left job centre)

anyway I posted my issue has been largely due to inconsistencies with the jobs that I had and also this wasn't made better when the recession hit so I was left with a choice of being in employed or work for 16 hrs a week. Obviously I chose the latter but my performance want that's satisfactory due to chronic headaches and perhaps my pride the best of me as I never wanted to be on income support so my previous employer would still pay me the hand outs while I wouldn't work so this also led to pile up of rent arrears.

I'm not a drinker, smoker, never had a criminal record or any anti social orders. I'm glad 5 yrs ago I did put myself to a higher education and I was determined that with this new job I could take a pay it so I can do a postgrad but every time I try to move forward something always pull me back and the suicidal thoughts often creeps in since I feel like I'm a failure and my recent issue with the council has not helped but every time I have those thoughts I often think of my current employer who is willing to write a cheque and support letter as evidence that she's willing to pay for my 6 months rent. I wouldn't want to fail her or myself that's why I joined LB for advice
              As far as my lawyer is concerned,I'm not happy with how she's communicating with me and I feel that I'll have to find and point out as many crucial stuff that she can use while she presents my case later today afternoon.

My possessions have been taken out since Monday and the council says they will destroy them after 1 week so far I've visited the council 3 times and all I'm told someone will call me since they have no idea which storage they are. And on top of that they want me to pay for that.

Plan B thanks and will drop you a line on PM
              Last edited by Celestine; 5th August 2013, 19:37:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by George Smiley View Post
                My possessions have been taken out since Monday and the council says they will destroy them after 1 week so far I've visited the council 3 times and all I'm told someone will call me since they have no idea which storage they are. And on top of that they want me to pay for that.
                Exactly which Nazified council is threatening to destroy your possessions that are in its bailment?

Comment

I would appreciate any inputs that I could add for my defense.

Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                    Exactly which Nazified council is threatening to destroy your possessions that are in its bailment?
                    The fact that they made false accusations against me says it all and I wasn't surprised at all with their intent.

Comment

But just who are those onanists (glossary) who seem to think that they can merrily ignore the Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977 (link) and, in particular, Schedule 1, Part II, 6 (3)? (link)

If they propose to charge you for storage, they must give three months written notice (by Recorded Delivery post) before they sell (or otherwise dispose of) any of your goods in their bailment (custody or keeping).

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                        If they propose to charge you for storage, they must give three months written notice (by Recorded Delivery post) before they sell (or otherwise dispose of) any of your goods in their bailment (custody or keeping).
                        ^^^^ Which would be tricky since George's current *home* is a night bus

I presume they could serve it on his solicitor?

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                          ^^^^ Which would be tricky since George's current *home* is a night bus

I presume they could serve it on his solicitor?
                          No - it has to go to his last known address!

The point I was making, though, is that they have made a mistake with the notice period.

Comment

Originally posted by George Smiley View Post
                            but every time I try to move forward something always pull me back and the suicidal thoughts often creeps in since I feel like I'm a failure and my recent issue with the council has not helped but every time I have those thoughts I often think of my current employer who is willing to write a cheque and support letter as evidence that she's willing to pay for my 6 months rent. I wouldn't want to fail her or myself that's why I joined LB for advice

As far as my lawyer is concerned,I'm not happy with how she's communicating with me and I feel that I'll have to find and point out as many crucial stuff that she can use while she presents my case later today afternoon.

Plan B thanks and will drop you a line on PM
                            PM received and replied to

I wish you all the luck in the world with your hearing this afternoon listed for 2 pm. Don't worry about the way you relate to your solicitor and barrister because members of the legal profession often have poor bedside manners. But they'll be ruthless in court because they'll be programmed to win, and that's what matters. The fact that you have to point everything out to her is a good thing because it means she's listening to you. You wouldn't have been granted Legal Aid (I assume this is the case or are the lawyers acting pro bono for you?) unless you had a very good chance of success.

I look forward to being able to help where I can from here on. Your story is remarkable and worthy of a movie. Living on top of a night bus can't be fun (I use the No 24 in London so I know how 'undesirable' it can be in the middle of the night) but when, not if, you get yourself re-homed you will look back on this phase of your life and feel proud of the way you've handled it. Your determination is a lesson to all those who are workshy and rely of the State to pick up the pieces.

When you feel able, can you let us know a little bit more about your overall circumstances. What is the line of work you are in, and your age may be relevant. We like to look at things holistically so although your immediate crisis is your housing situation, I sense there may be some other issues where we can offer help and support

Fingers crossed for this afternoon. Come back later and tell us what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                              What do you want exactly?
                              A roof over his head? Not a lot to ask for in 21st Century Britain.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X