• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Coventry Council Apologises for Threatening Bankruptcy for £42.50!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Newlyn Bailiffs RE: Council Tax

12 Pasty Street
    Cornish Village
    Pastryville
    Bailiffshire
    BI9 T1T
    23 August 2013
    Dear Ms Lucas,

Your Ref: abcd 9876

I am writing with regard to the above bill for Council Tax.

You will see from your records this debt to Coventy City Council was discharged in full on dd/mm/2013. At the same time an offer was made to pay your appointed enforcement agents, with whom you are vicariously liable, their legitimate fees of £42.50 for two visits to my property.

I was therefore shocked, not to mention exceedingly distressed, by a letter received from your enforcement agents, Newlyn, dated 29 July 2013 (copy enclosed). As you can see this letter is clearly headed ‘BANKRUPTCY PROCEEDINGS.’ It goes on to state that failure to pay the sum of £42.50, “will result in us taking our clients instructions to file for your personal bankruptcy.

As you can imagine this caused severe distress, especially as the debt for the Liability Order to which they refer had already been fully discharged.

The threshold for bankruptcy is £750. I would be interested to hear your explanation as to how Coventry City Council feels they can threaten their residents with Bankruptcy Proceedings for such a small sum. I imagine I am not the only person against whom this threat has been made.

As you know, Coventry City Council has attracted much publicity over its dubious collection practices. The MP Jim Cunningham secured a debate in House of Commons early in January, following a scathing article in The Telegraph about your appointed bailiffs, their treatment of vulnerable people and unlawful overcharging practices.

Coventry City Council were proud to become the UK’s first council to sign up to a national good practice protocol in council tax collection on July 5th 2013 as a direct result of the appalling publicity it had attracted, yet just 24 days later, I receive an illegal threat of bankruptcy for the sum of just £42.50, a staggering £707.50 below the legal minimum threshold.

As Leader of the Council, I imagine you were fully aware, and somewhat ashamed by all the publicity. I imagine also that you were involved in your Council being the first to adopt the new guidelines.

Please explain why, after all of this, I have been put through the distress of receiving a bankruptcy threat, clearly, according to the letter from Newlyn, instructed by you, or one of your staff.

I trust you will investigate this matter thoroughly, and in the depth it merits. I trust suitable disciplinary action will be taken against the council employees who authorised Newlyn to act in this way. It is questionable whether they are actually capable of carrying out their job description if they can make such crassly idiotic errors of judgment and law. I would suggest you give serious consideration as to their future employment by the council.

Also, I trust a suitable and comprehensive review of the practices of Newlyn will be conducted. They act upon the council’s instructions and you and Newlyn are vicariously liable over this issue. Given new instructions and guidelines were issued to Newlyn on July 5th, it is clear your appointed agents are taking no notice whatsoever of them. They appear to be acting purely for profit, and continuing to use the bullying tactics for which your council was (and is) becoming notorious. This is clearly unacceptable. Newlyn seem incapable of changing their appalling collection practices and I question whether their contract should be terminated forthwith.

I will await your response to this letter with interest, and feel strongly a compensatory gesture should be made to me for the significant distress caused.

If your response is unsatisfactory in terms of assuring me this type of conduct will never happen again to me, or any other resident within your Council area, I will take the issue to the Local Government Ombudsman for a ruling, I will pass on copies of all correspondence over this issue to Mr Les Reid at The Telegraph and a duplicate copy to Mr Jim Cunningham MP.

In order to resolve this I would expect to see:

i) Disciplinary action (and possible dismissal) of the elected officers who issued this instruction to Newlyn.
    ii) An in-depth investigation into Newlyn’s collection practices to ensure their full compliance with the new guidelines.
    iii) An assurance that action will be taken by Newlyn to remove the certification of any bailiff found to be in breach of the new guidelines.
    iv) Serious consideration of Newlyn’s fitness to hold this contract.
    v) A suitable compensatory gesture towards myself for the immense distress caused which is already fully documented on a major consumer website on the internet.

Yours sincerely,
    [Sign Name]
    Mr C. Pasty

Comment

• Re: Coventry Council Apologises for Threatening Bankruptcy for £42.50!!

A couple of observations on the letter -

Suggest substituting the words "crassly idiotic" with "potentially serious";
      In respect of the "elected officers", does this refer to elected representatives who hold a portfolio or local government officers (lgo)? If lgos, suggest replacing "elected officers" with "local government officers".

Other than these two observations, I have to say that it is a cracking letter.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
        I would suggest if the site is not going to take the opportunity to publicise this, the OP takes matters into his own hands and contacts his local press immediately, pointing them to this thread. I would also contact a national such as The Sun which may well run with this type of story.
        Dare I say it...The paper I love to hate....The Daily Mail

Comment

Great letter but sadly the council officials are so well protected by their union that they are virtually unsackable in reality

Comment

Originally posted by bizzybob View Post
            Great letter but sadly the council officials are so well protected by their union that they are virtually unsackable in reality
            Yes BB, I was aware as I typed that I could have put in a row of flying pig smilies at times. I doubt anyone will lose their job, nor will the contract be terminated, nor will the OP get an assurance Newlyn bailiffs will have their certication removed if they're caught out breaching the guidelines or charging unfairly.

That's not the point. The Leader of the Council has to respond to this seriously. That will make an interesting read as all the evidence will be staring her in the face, and the past issues have been checked for accuracy of dates etc... so she will know those are true.

Hopefully, she will also realise that if she does not provide an adequate response to CP, then it will indeed be escalated to the LGO and passed to the press and MP. That is the point of the letter. Only time will tell if it will work. :beagle:

Comment

Yes BB, I was aware as I typed that I could have put in a row of flying pig smilies at times. I doubt anyone will lose their job, nor will the contract be terminated, nor will the OP get an assurance Newlyn bailiffs will have their certication removed if they're caught out breaching the guidelines or charging unfairly.

That's not the point. The Leader of the Council has to respond to this seriously. That will make an interesting read as all the evidence will be staring her in the face, and the past issues have been checked for accuracy of dates etc... so she will know those are true.

Hopefully, she will also realise that if she does not provide an adequate response to CP, then it will indeed be escalated to the LGO and passed to the press and MP. That is the point of the letter. Only time will tell if it will work. :beagle:
              It is to be hoped that the CEO comes out of the silo, ans smells which way the wind of public opinion is blowing, as in council officers and elected members are seen as Orwell's more equal animals with their snouts in an overflowing trough paid for by us. Further that medieval draconian collection methods have no part in the 21st Century. At least they should realise they will ultimately answer for any illegalities now where are those flying pigs you mentioned?

:flypig::flypig::flypig: ahh there we are three flew over just now.

Comment

Many thanks for the letter. Who am I sending this to?

Comment

The Leader of the Council. It was a pleasure penning it for you - let's hope it does something. You need to know in advance, as per the above comments, there is no hope of them agreeing to what you've asked, but they are accountable and it will be very interesting to see the reply.

I believe if you are not prepared to carry out the threat, don't threaten it, so be aware of that in your statements about the LGO, the reporter and the MP. :beagle:

Comment

The Leader of the Council. It was a pleasure penning it for you - let's hope it does something. You need to know in advance, as per the above comments, there is no hope of them agreeing to what you've asked, but they are accountable and it will be very interesting to see the reply.

I believe if you are not prepared to carry out the threat, don't threaten it, so be aware of that in your statements about the LGO, the reporter and the MP. :beagle:
                    Oh I will carry it on to the bitter end, through all possible channels. Is Ms Lucas the leader of CCC?
                    Whats her contact details?

Comment

Originally posted by cornish pasty View Post
                      Oh I will carry it on to the bitter end, through all possible channels. Is Ms Lucas the leader of CCC?
                      Whats her contact details?
                      Yes, and see Post 145 - scroll down, click on her name, then click contact details - it gives home address and correspondence address. :beagle:

Comment

Right cheers for that , must have miss that post, it is getting rather long now.
                        Should I mention in the letter about the levy on 2 vehicles I don't own and the use of an unlicenced bailiff?

Comment

Yes, it's your letter, modify as you see fit. Perhaps soon after the bit that says in bold, "it is clear your baillfs are taking no notice of them" or something like that.

Comment

Will be on it in the morning and will post any replies I receive.
                            Once again many thanks for the letter

Comment

http://www.moneyadvicetrust.org/medi...0821-6215.aspx

1.8 million peoples 'debts' passed to bailiff companies by local councils.
                              "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Ok, letter sent, just a waiting game now

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X