• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

help for a friend please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: help for a friend please

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
    The issue here is that the sacked bus driver wasn't making or receiving calls whilst driving, it's a bit like being accused of shoplifting when you haven't stolen anything, you just brought something in from another shop!

If your phone is making you uncomfortable while driving, surely you are allowed to take it out of your pocket, as you would any other object. :ohwell:
    Indeed you are. I hope nobody would attempt to take a mobile out of their trouser pockets while driving with a seat belt on though. That in itself would be downright dangerous. You'd stop, take off your seatbelt, remove the phone and put it elsewhere, put your belt back on and drive off. That would be entirely lawful.

Also, the phone was being held because' "the reason he took it out of his pocket was because it vibrated and the only way work can contact the drivers is to call them on mobile." Do you not think this indicates he was looking to see if work had contacted him?

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
      Also, the phone was being held because' "the reason he took it out of his pocket was because it vibrated and the only way work can contact the drivers is to call them on mobile." Do you not think this indicates he was looking to see if work had contacted him?
      It could well do, your guess is as good as mine, however, there's still a BIG difference between looking and using the phone to make and/or receive calls. :cell:

This is an employment matter rather than a traffic offence issue, if work contact drivers on their mobiles, there probably is an internal procedure that sets out what drivers should do when that happens, there may well be a clause somewhere that says they are never to touch the phone while driving, we just don't know. :ohwell:

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
        It could well do, your guess is as good as mine, however, there's still a BIG difference between looking and using the phone to make and/or receive calls. :cell:
        Not if both could very easily result in a fatal accident there isn't. Different cause, same outcome. A driver of a coach should be looking at the road!

That aside, I agree with you entirely - it's down to what's in the contract / employment procedures and policies etc... That's where the true solution to this is likely to be found.

Comment

I'm backing off......made too many assumptions already

Comment

Sorry to but in but - shouldn't the employer of anyone who drives for them and can only be contacted (and will be contacted) by a mobile phone supply them with a hands-free set as a matter of course? Not that that helps in this case, I suppose - but you see it all the time, especially with delivery drivers lost and running late swaying all over the road with a phone to their ear and one hand on the wheel......

Comment

When I worked for a company who had a fleet of lorries on the road they were definitely NOT allowed to use the mobile phones whilst driving - it was a sackable offence as well as breaking the law.

Comment

As the OP states that the only way to contact a driver is through his mobile then I think it would be in order for the company to provide hand free sets in the drivers cabin. I have been on buses when you can hear message coming from somewhere maybe a radio or something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by enaid View Post
                  As the OP states that the only way to contact a driver is through his mobile then I think it would be in order for the company to provide hand free sets in the drivers cabin. I have been on buses when you can hear message coming from somewhere maybe a radio or something similar.
                  That's what I was trying to say Enaid, only you put it so much better. I thought all PSVs had to have some form of hands-free radio/telephone contact?

Comment

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
                    That's what I was trying to say Enaid, only you put it so much better. I thought all PSVs had to have some form of hands-free radio/telephone contact?
                    didnt see your post sorry lol

They bloody well need em too these days I wouldn't drive a bus full of school kids, even if I could drive properly lol

Comment

Originally posted by enaid View Post
                      didnt see your post sorry lol

They bloody well need em too these days I wouldn't drive a bus full of school kids, even if I could drive properly lol
                      Or ******** fans

Comment

Have just reread the OP's first post and do really wonder if there mightn't be some change in shaming the employer on Enaid's point - it seems yet another example of an employer imposing conditions on the employee (to skimp/save money) that cannot be met without sailing extremely close to the wind Elf'n'Safety wise -and legally - then passing the buck.:tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Comment

We really need to see the employment contract/ employment particulars.
                          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                          gets his brain a-going.
                          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

If it is a condition of the employment where the employers provide the mobile phones to be able to keep in touch with their drivers then they must to keep within the law provide hands free. If however, the driver is using his own mobile and it is not business related then that person should be using hands free in any case which is then nothing to do with his employer.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                              We really need to see the employment contract/ employment particulars.
                              That was exactly my point!

This is an employment matter rather than a generic legal matter, where doing something that contravenes company policy can be a sackable offence even when it's not against the law as such, I should know all about that! :grin: :grin: :grin:

it all depends on what the company's rules are, the devil is in the detail! :thumb:

Comment

Communication: drivers can currently use their own mobile phones in case of an emergency but First Leeds is about to fit a special communications device – probably a radio – in every vehicle. The radio will connect to a central contact point at the depot, from which messages can be sent to all drivers.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/violence/hslcasestudies/first.htm

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X