• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Judicial Review - help please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judicial Review - help please

It looks like I may be forced to apply for Judicial Review against a public body as a last resort and I would be grateful for some advice regarding the requirements of the pre-action protocol (or PAP) letter - how comprehensive does this have to be and to which extent would any omissions or aspects I may not be aware of at the the time of drafting it effect any subsequent stages of the Judicial Review?

Depending whether I might be able to secure legal support - what are the financial risks if I applied for and entered Judicial Review proceedings as a litigant without solicitor (provided I would be granted permission)?

Thanks to everyone for helpful comments in advance!
    Tags: None

Re: Judicial Review - help please

Your paperwork will have to be very good indeed - after all, you are saying that what has gone before is wrong. Depending on the nature of your case, you might be able to find someone to take it pro bono.

Comment

This may help - http://www.help4lips.co.uk/ (lips being litigants in person!)
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by JCE View Post
        It looks like I may be forced to apply for Judicial Review against a public body as a last resort and I would be grateful for some advice regarding the requirements of the pre-action protocol (or PAP) letter - how comprehensive does this have to be and to which extent would any omissions or aspects I may not be aware of at the the time of drafting it effect any subsequent stages of the Judicial Review?

Depending whether I might be able to secure legal support - what are the financial risks if I applied for and entered Judicial Review proceedings as a litigant without solicitor (provided I would be granted permission)?

Thanks to everyone for helpful comments in advance!
        Can we ask what the issue is ?

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
          Your paperwork will have to be very good indeed - after all, you are saying that what has gone before is wrong. Depending on the nature of your case, you might be able to find someone to take it pro bono.
          Thanks, I have applied with one organisation, however I don't know if they will accept it yet.

Comment

----

Comment

Judicial Reviews are major High Court litigation proceedings and unless you are prepared to lose hundreds of thousands of pounds in costs you shouldn't consider it.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                Judicial Reviews are major High Court litigation proceedings and unless you are prepared to lose hundreds of thousands of pounds in costs you shouldn't consider it.
                Thanks for your advice, however I am not sure, if the cost region you are referring to is necessarily that high - there have been already between one and two dozen Judicial Reviews brought against this particular public body and given that the overall clientele of the applicants is presumably not that wealthy and one even acted as litigant (this person actually was the only one who won his case), the costs may be a bit lower - at least the application costs are not that high.

Comment

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pro...tocol/prot_jrv
                  CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

Comment

http://www.leighday.co.uk/LeighDay/m...e.pdf?ext=.pdf
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

Comment

That mentions an Aarhus Convention Claim - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aarhus_Convention

Comment

Originally posted by JCE View Post
                        Thanks for your advice, however I am not sure, if the cost region you are referring to is necessarily that high - there have been already between one and two dozen Judicial Reviews brought against this particular public body and given that the overall clientele of the applicants is presumably not that wealthy and one even acted as litigant (this person actually was the only one who won his case), the costs may be a bit lower - at least the application costs are not that high.
                        You misunderstand.

Unless you can obtain a protective costs order, which in most cases would be unachievable, you will be liable for the defendant's costs in defending the claim should you lose for which you have no control over and which can be eye-wateringly high.

Comment

You misunderstand.

Unless you can obtain a protective costs order, which in most cases would be unachievable, you will be liable for the defendant's costs in defending the claim should you lose for which you have no control over and which can be eye-wateringly high.
                          Thanks for your advice - I have been aware that I would risk having to pay the defendant's cost.
                          Have you ever applied for a Judicial Review?
                          What are the criteria for a protective cost order and where can I find more information about this?
                          Besides there are a number of examples of PPI-related Judicial Reviews on here hence it cannot be that impossible.

Comment

What type of public body is it?

There was only one PPI related Judicial Review for which the claimant who bought it lost and had to pay in excess of £1m in costs.

Comment

You misunderstand.

Indeed, and if the Defendant chooses a top london firm and engages a number of fee earners in defence of the matter, you could be running £1k per hour plus in fees.

It may be worth looking to see if there is any legal insurance available to cover costs, such as ATE policies, otherwise as Exc says i would avoid like the plague
                              I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X