• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

AA Motor Insurance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AA Motor Insurance

When the renewal arrived from AA Motor Insurance beginning of June 2013 quoting some £410 payable over 12 months for my car which I buy fully comp and it is a 1997 plate. I took that as rather high. So I looked around for a cheaper quote online, found one, telephoned the AA on 03/06/2013 and informed them that their renewal was too expensive and I would not be renewing with them for the coming year. Their employee tried to put me through to their loyalty department for a lower quote, too late I had already bought with another company.
    I wrote to my bank and told them to cancel the direct debt and no more money was to be paid to the AA.
    Some days later nearer the renewal date a threatening letter arrived from the AA stating in no uncertain terms that no car insurance is an offence in law, and that I was to send a payment of some £35.85 immediately or they would under the law of contract that they claimed I had broken, remove that amount from my bank account.
    I wrote a letter to the AA explaining that the renewal was too expensive with them and had telephoned them and that their employee had cancelled their end, she made NO mention that the payments were according to the AA which is from the latest letter from them, were paid ONE month in arrears, she was looking at the account on their computer system.
    I stated in my letter that I had paid well over the odds for motor insurance the previous year with them, pointed out I hadn't renewed their quote hence that is why the direct debit was cancelled.
    The latest letter from the AA arrived last Friday, stating that they have removed the said amount from my bank account and an additional fee of £12, their letter dated 12th July 2013, money taken on the 8th July 2013. And that is the end of the matter as far as they are concerned.
    I have to say that paying motor insurance in arrears is the most fantastic story that some company like them can come up with. In 49 years of driving I have NEVER known a company to not take the monthly payment when it is due.
    I would like you members views on this story, it is also nice of my bank to ignore my instructions and allow this money to be removed and then not even bother to write to me and say so.
    Tags: None

Re: AA Motor Insurance

Get straight on to your back and raise a chargeback to recover the money they paid out despite the standing order being cancelled. Or even invoke the direct debit guarantee, whcih promises to repay you for errors with the DD system.

Then check your statements over the last year to check if the AA were telling porkies. I used to have AA insurance and the time of the monthly collection was sort of neither fully in advance nor fully in arrears. You may have just cancelled the last payment for the year.

Comment

Originally posted by dunedin1941 View Post
      When the renewal arrived from AA Motor Insurance beginning of June 2013 quoting some £410 payable over 12 months for my car which I buy fully comp and it is a 1997 plate. I took that as rather high. So I looked around for a cheaper quote online, found one, telephoned the AA on 03/06/2013 and informed them that their renewal was too expensive and I would not be renewing with them for the coming year. Their employee tried to put me through to their loyalty department for a lower quote, too late I had already bought with another company.
      I wrote to my bank and told them to cancel the direct debt and no more money was to be paid to the AA.
      Some days later nearer the renewal date a threatening letter arrived from the AA stating in no uncertain terms that no car insurance is an offence in law, and that I was to send a payment of some £35.85 immediately or they would under the law of contract that they claimed I had broken, remove that amount from my bank account.
      I wrote a letter to the AA explaining that the renewal was too expensive with them and had telephoned them and that their employee had cancelled their end, she made NO mention that the payments were according to the AA which is from the latest letter from them, were paid ONE month in arrears, she was looking at the account on their computer system.
      I stated in my letter that I had paid well over the odds for motor insurance the previous year with them, pointed out I hadn't renewed their quote hence that is why the direct debit was cancelled.
      The latest letter from the AA arrived last Friday, stating that they have removed the said amount from my bank account and an additional fee of £12, their letter dated 12th July 2013, money taken on the 8th July 2013. And that is the end of the matter as far as they are concerned.
      I have to say that paying motor insurance in arrears is the most fantastic story that some company like them can come up with. In 49 years of driving I have NEVER known a company to not take the monthly payment when it is due.
      I would like you members views on this story, it is also nice of my bank to ignore my instructions and allow this money to be removed and then not even bother to write to me and say so.
      Hello dunedin1941, this is something that we would like to address. Please email the details to chat@theaa.com including your full name, address and policy number with Reference FOR46136. Kind Regards, The AA

Comment

Originally posted by The AA View Post
        Hello dunedin1941, this is something that we would like to address. Please email the details to chat@theaa.com including your full name, address and policy number with Reference FOR46136. Kind Regards, The AA
        Thanks for that, AA.

@dunedin1941 - do please let us know how you get on; could be a great help for others in a similar position.
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X