• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Santander admitted breach of Data Protection Act

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Santander admitted breach of Data Protection Act

I have just spoken to Santander , I sent an email a couple of days ago to the person I was dealing with on the phone setting out how much the ICO fined what I would call normal everyday company's in 2012/2013 for breach of the DPA , some of the company's included one from my home town.

Somehow Santanders letter about speaking on the phone and my email about the ICO fines crossed and we ended up speaking about the same things the wrong way round
    (if this makes sense!)

Earlier today I received a letter from Santander today stating once again the offer of £185.00 so I called them , I was actually thinking of taking this offer having read the comments on this forum , well I'm so far pleased I didn't as Santander have reopened my case and are looking again at compensation.

I quoted a statement from a Judge who was talking about a company in Plymouth who breached the DPA and was fined £60,000.
    I looked at it this way , if I go to the ICO and report Santanders breach of the DPA I will have more distress and possible Angina attacks , Santander will have to rally its legal department to fight in court , which as you and I know will cost them a few thousands before any court fines that the ICO may impose on them .

In an email earlier this week I had made them a very reasonable offer to once and for all settle the case and have also said I am willing to sign paperwork to the fact that I will not take action against Santander at any time in the future.

I also stated in my email that the amount I suggested does not reflect the true amount of compensation for the breach of the DPA but this is I feel a reasonable and fair gesture of goodwill from Santander to myself for its wrong-doings .

Quote by a Judge concerning Plymouth breach of the DPA 2013.
    “It would be too easy to consider this a simple human error. The reality is that this incident happened because not enough care was being taken within the organisation when handling vulnerable people’s sensitive information.
    “The distress this incident will have caused the people involved is obvious, and the penalty we have issued today reflects that."

So, now its a case of wait and see .

P.S. Ha..........never rains but it pours, just been for ECG and my doctors concerned as my stress level is rising again and something has shown up on the reading, probably an outline of my hands around the throat of a Santanders customer help agent , who likes to have that 'utterly cheerful/helpful/happy voice on when they answer the phone .........that is until you get to the nitty-gritty then they appear dumb ( no offence meant to any customer help agents who reads this by the way )

Lady Ami xxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by Ladyami; 13th July 2013, 01:11:AM. Reason: added bits and ooooop'sed odd words.

Comment

AND SO IT GOES ON AND ON ........................

Had a phone call from Santander today , this time they had upper the compensation again .........wait for it ...........yep, another whole mind blowing £15.00 to a total of now £200.00 , what gets me is that then they first offered me compensation it was £50.00 and not a penny more , that was according to there so called maximum limit , but as we all know this limit then went to £75............£95................£105............ .£155.................£185 and now a mind blowing £200.00 .
      My answer to this was no way and I have now decided to go to the ombudsman for help and then possibly report them to the iCO as well.

Whilst talking to yet another person this time she said a very strange thing to me , I asked her what was the policy on compensation , you know how did they come to this amount ? and her reply was some what strange as she said quote ' I'm sorry but we have policy's that the public are not allowed to know about ' ..................
      errrrr ....sorry what on earth made her say that ?????

So , when I asked her what did she mean she 'waffled' and back tracked and sort of got all 'confused' mmmmmmmm me thinks lady has put her foot in her mouth !

I did get to them though , all my looking up Santanders 'bonus' yearly pay-outs for all the good work they do and how much the chairman of Santander seems to be pleased at all the money the branches are saving him ......yep from mean scrounging foot in mouth so called helpful assistants who's job it is to not give compensation to people they have harmed in anyway .

Well, I'm sorry Santander but I will be copying all the letters and odd bits from phone calls and sending them all merrily to first Anna Bottin in Spain for her to read how her precious company handles breaking the data protection act and then onwards to the legal people at ICO .

So much for a quite life on retiring .

Regards to all on this hot humid horrible weather we are having , keep safe , don't get burnt and drink plently.

Lady Amixxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Thanks to everyone who has read and replied to my waffling this includes :

chartymjw flamingparrot dogtired clverclogs bluebottle and angrycat .

I think by now you have discovered I'm a bit like a small white terrier , who once they get teeth into something will not let go until blood is drawn.
        I have in my time ( some years ago when I was fit and well ) taken on some of the biggest companies and people who have 'done this girl wrong' and won each time , this includes a judge which I took on my own and represented myself without legal help at all to the Royal Court of Justice in London , a company called 'Freshbake' the TSB (when it was the TSB) the CSA ( took me 2 years to prove my case in full) a person who crashed into me from behind whilst I was stationary at a roundabout, he with many others in his land rover on his way to his own stag party , shot me in front of a juggernaut and smashed up my mini like a coke can causing me injury , who then hid at his parents claiming quote ' I should not have been born and it was all my fault for being in front of him '!!!!!, I won over £45,000 in the end.
        There are a few more . but I have so far never lost a case , so watch out and lets see how far I get with this one .

LadyAmi this one is 'Treacle pudding ' this one is 'Toffee sauce ' my two mixed up cross breed 'tabby + mancoon+ savannah cats' ( and just as crazy as me)

Comment

Just a brief note that to say in our on going dispute with our LPA receiver it has become evident data covered by the Data protection act has been disclosed to the mortgagee, causing us very significant and quantifiable losses and even with substantial evidence it is never easy to get recompense. All I will say is this, if the op wants to mount a legal claim through the courts against a bank I would genuinely advise her to  contact them and agree a settlement because litigation is a mugs game and particularly over a mistake (however distressing) that will be put down to sloppiness with no deliberate intent, not badness . Save your litigation money for the day someone tries to take something from you they are not entitled to and that suing is the only resort.

Comment

Thanks for your post Kanine, but I have no intention of taking them to court ( just frightening the living daylights out of them and make them think I am going to , like you) and even if I did I have a background in how to do this having been to the courts of justice already , and I can assure you this is no easy thing to do as the legal paperwork just goes on forever and if you get just one thing wrong they throw you out before you get into the actual court.
            When I got my day in court the leading judge wanted to know how on earth I got there and ask if I was legally trained (which I am not) but I am a strong woman and if I put my mind to doing something I will fight to the end ....as I proved on my day in court then.
            The paperwork with its green ribbons and copy upon copy passed all the lawyers belonging to the court , its just a case of knowing what your doing, when to file and how to stand your ground ..............as long as you are 100% correct and right in what you are doing.
            I've never paid for a solicitor unless I have been to ill to cope and I even did my own divorce from my mad as a hatter ex husband !!!!
            LadyAmi xxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Sadly Ladyami for me I have had to sue them to protect everything my family has worked for since 1946. The people I am having to deal with don't frighten easily and their purpose is to frighten me and not sue them which is there primary defence, that you won't be able to defend yourself. Best of luck with it and thanks for your post

Comment

I am so sorry Kanine if there is anything I can do to help you, or if you need a natter just drop me a message .
                I know how it can be hell fighting all the time for something which is your in the first place , its utterly sole destroying.
                Regards Ladyami xxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Sorry I haven't been back for a time but I'm trying to set up my own little cupcake company as I simply adore cooking (and the people around me adore eating what I cook).
                  So, this is what is happening now..................
                  I once again spoke to Santander and asked for top persons email address, sent them and next down a letter giving my reasons and asking for help.
                  I have now received a couple of letters back , one from the PA of the head of Santander saying they are concerned and are now looking into this problem ( I wonder if they will come back with an offer of £215.00!!!!!!) and possibly increasing the amount of compensation by another huge staggering amount of ............wait for it ........................ £15.00 :cheer2:.

I have started to write up in full all the contact I have had with the bank and how they have tried to 'buy me off' with the £15.00 started amount way back at the beginning of July 2013 , I will give them a couple of weeks before I once again shake them up a bit .

Regards to you all ..........have a nice weekend

Ladyami and a big :grouphug: from my family and our two furry , purry, soft & cuddly, four legged critters 'Toffee & Treacle'

Comment

What an interesting read. It amazes me the strength of some of the members here who can take on these institutions single handed and emerge victorious time after time.

Personally I'd have taken the money like the others, but gosh ...... after everything life has thrown at you (you should write a book!) I'll be interested to read the outcome of this.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                      What an interesting read. It amazes me the strength of some of the members here who can take on these institutions single handed and emerge victorious time after time.

Personally I'd have taken the money like the others, but gosh ...... after everything life has thrown at you (you should write a book!) I'll be interested to read the outcome of this.
                      On a slightly different tack, but in the same spirit of illegitimi non carborundum, someone phoned Chez Chaz today, wanting to speak to a member of the household (I can recognise a cold call, if nothing else! )
                      I asked "Who's calling"? (As you do!)
                      "Ah - can't tell you that; Data Protection, y'know" was the reply.:spy:
                      "Would you care to explain exactly how you would be infringing the Data Protection Act 1998 by revealing your firm's name?", I shot back (instant wit & repartee, if I do say so myself! :cool2
                      "I...er.....well............I'll phone back later" says he. :bolt:
                      Good job I didn't hold my breath!
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                      gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hello, sorry I've been away for so long but my heart has been playing up (again) and I have a 'bursar?' in my right hip which is giving me hell.
                        So..........first Labman , I am a writer and am at this time trying to finish two books
                        1:'laugh I nearly wet the bed' :lol: (about being a disabled family and how people do strange ,unbelievably dangerous and downright stupid things to you )
                        2: 'Brotherhood of the wolf ' aw: (mid teenage book about a young woman living as a werewolf in 2012)
                        Anyhow, the story goes on ............Santander have once again been in contact and tried it on with a plead of poverty ( er, and I'm a monkeys backside) They have also nicely sent me leaflets for the ombudsman in some vain hope that I will take this up and not go to the other data protection people ( sorry can't remember the name of them at this time , but you all know who I mean )

I'm putting together my case at this time with every bit of paperwork they have ever sent to me plus all written translations of phone calls made to me , oh what fun :tung: what with this the multitude of hospital appointments,making celebration cakes , writing , birthday parties I'm attending and with hubby 'dearest' and son's health not 100% life is somewhat skidding close to the edge!:lalala: never mind fight on keeping and smile on your face and extra incontinence pads in your pocket ( joking ) and none will ever know .....................well except you lot .

Lady Ami and her two crazy cats .

Comment

THe other lot is the Infromation Commissioner's Office (ICO).

The only Brotherhood of the Wolf I can find is THIS ONE. From the synopsis it is clearly not your book.

Comment

Nope, definitely not that one :lol: mine is still on my laptop waiting to be finished, have a front and back cover created , be checked for spellings and odd words here and there and all the rest of the stuff that needs doing ..............will be SO nice when its all done and dusted.
                            Ami :faint: that's me when its at last all together .

Comment

sorry I have not been on site for some time but I have not been very well and have been diagnosed with heart failure plus a few more little complicationsray: , I have to rest rather a lot whilst they try to figure out what to do with me and have not as yet been able to take up the case to sort Santander .
                              Lady Amelia.:sick:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X