• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

council tax on a burnt out house

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: council tax on a burnt out house

Originally posted by karl t View Post
    If i have the house condemned what would be needed to get it back to being un condemned, I am just thinking in terms of building regs, would it then be treated as being a new build again ? Does anybody know about the "dangerous building" route ? i have seen buildings in Glasgow centre that are only the front wall with supports behind them, surely they are not paying tax on them ...
    Do you mean "Dangerous Structure", by any chance? The situation in England with regard to buildings deemed Dangerous Structures is that they must be repaired to ensure they are rendered safe. If it is in the state the building you have acquired is in, you will need to ensure you have taken steps to ensure people cannot gain access to it. You may put up shuttering or erect high security fencing to keep people out. It will depend on what procedures the local authority has in place.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

It looks from the photo as though measures have been taken to keep people out already. Have to say to the OP, it also looks as though it could be very pleasant when fully renovated.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
        It looks from the photo as though measures have been taken to keep people out already. Have to say to the OP, it also looks as though it could be very pleasant when fully renovated.
        If the main structure is sound, there is no reason why is shouldn't be quite a pleasant place to live in, LM.
        Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Indeed - I was being serious when I said it looks as though it could be a nice house when renovated. It's something I would love to do if health and finances permitted! :beagle:

Comment

A lovely project I to would love to do it,my last project was to turn a barn that was 2 3 stone walls into 2 st house a lot of work but nice in the end

Comment

I admire your skills. Some of the properties round this part of Wales are selling for a song at auction as they need renovating.

Comment

It was in wales near lampeter I expect those at auction may not have planning in Cerdigion its hard to get it took the guy I did the job for years to get it

Comment

We're in the Valleys - there doesn't seem to be too much of a problem round here.

Comment

The cottages we renovated in the eighties (post 8) are in Carmarthenshire (used to be Dyfed), just outside Llanybydder, near Lampeter.
                    They burnt down late 80's and we couldn't face rebuilding them again, so although they were fully insured we sold them on and moved to the coast. Pleased someone else renewed them tho..

Comment

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                      gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Most of the rules and reg's regarding council tax are directed towards a "dwelling", in my opinion a dwelling is a place where someone could live, which definition of a dwelling would be the one to use in this case, i want to put forward that the structure is no longer a dwelling and therefore not liable for the charges.

Comment

Most of the rules and reg's regarding council tax are directed towards a "dwelling", in my opinion a dwelling is a place where someone could live, which definition of a dwelling would be the one to use in this case, i want to put forward that the structure is no longer a dwelling and therefore not liable for the charges.
                          This is how they define a dwelling for CT purposes:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1992/14/section/3

Comment

i had a look at this
                            http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1992/14/section/3
                            Thanks Labman but still could not see a clear definition of a dwelling, i did however come across "non domestic exceptions"
                            Local Government Finance Act 1988
                            1988 c. 41
                            SCHEDULE 5

but cannot see anything for unhibatable buildings, can someone guide me in the correct direction ?

thanks karl

Ykarlou are here:1988 c. 41
                            SCHEDULE 5

Comment

north lanarkshire council are also now trying to charge me 2500 pounds for boarding up the house and it was already done before i bought it, so basically its charging me for something thats not been done by them, which forum should this inquiry go into ?
                              thanks again
                              karl

Comment

north lanarkshire council are also now trying to charge me 2500 pounds for boarding up the house and it was already done before i bought it, so basically its charging me for something thats not been done by them ...
                                Do you have clear evidence (estate agents photographs, for instance), showing that the property was boarded up before you bought it?

Write to the Chief Executive, setting out events to date, and stating that their claim is entirely without foundation. If you feel inclined, trap them into issuing a completely bogus claim by not mentioning that you have sufficient evidence to prove your case.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X