• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Aktiv Kapital chasing old outstanding balance after settlement :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aktiv Kapital chasing old outstanding balance after settlement :(

Came home to a nice letter from Aktiv Crapital, asking me to call their 0800 number to avoid a home visit. They say I have not responded to previous letters, but I haven't received any letters from them since 2008 or thereabouts! They are quoting a debt to First National which was the company that financed a laptop I bought in 2001/02. It was one of them one year interest free or 5 year high interest deals which I neglected to pay in one year and ended up defaulting on, but there wasn't much left to pay.

Aktiv Crapital bought the account in 2006/07, they used to ring non-stop, then they sent a letter, probably in 2007/08, saying if I paid £58 or something like that, they would write off the rest of the balance, which was around £150. Back in those days I had no idea how these things worked and I picked up the phone and made a debit card payment, thinking I'd settled the account. Later on I started getting letters from AK asking for the balance, which I ignored and the letters eventually stopped, until now.

The funny thing is they are doing the same thing all over again and saying I could be paying "as little as £20.21, which will be accepted as full payment" if I ring in the next 10 days!!! :rant: :rant: :rant: This was EXACTLY what I did 5 or so years ago! :mad2: :mad2:

This must be coming quite close to SBd which is why the sleeping dog has suddenly woken up, it wouldn't be SBd yet because my 'settlement' would have been made late 2007 or 2008 but the amount is so small, it's hardly worth the bother.

I have a mind to just send them a 'prove it' letter and see what they come up with... :confused2:

Although the amounts are rather small, this has been quite a lesson for me: never deal with DCAs over the phone, even less so when it comes to F&F settlements! :mad2: :mad2:
    Tags: None

Re: Aktiv Kapital chasing old outstanding balance after settlement

Most of the big players are investing in 'state of the art' automated systems.

I guess those systems have little, if any, human intervention.

They seem to be using a scattergun approach; it's just a numbers game, I suppose.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

However, the longer they leave between the 'full & final', and subsequent chasing for the 'alleged' balance outstanding, the more likely that it will be deemed that 'accord & satisfaction' had been reached with the f&f.
      Especially if they cashed the payment.

http://www.mills-reeve.com/files/Pub...87545/2356.pdf

(Page 5 - Settlement)
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

In this case, they started chasing the alleged balance shortly after the F&F, then gave up and started chasing it again at least 4 years later!

Comment

£20.21 over 3 monthly payments no doubt plan A of their so called generious offers (Not).

Comment

It's been over a year since I posted this, have since received a number of communications that are more like statements rather than threats for the princely sum of £57.73, which I have ignored as they're not worth the paper, ink, postage and finger and keyboard wear and tear. :typing:

Today I came home to a little gem labelled Private and Confidential. It turned out to be a letter from Credit Security chasing the above. They will only hold my account for a limited time therefore it is important that I contact them within 10 days to discuss a solution, otherwise there will be further collection activity such as more letters and phone calls (have not received any calls since I made what I thought would be the F&F settlement) or a doorstep collector. Is it REALLY worth their while to pay someone to come all the way here for such an amount? I very much doubt it! :nono:

I suspect this may be statute barred, can't remember exactly when I made the debit card payment over the phone but it wasn't that long after moving here in 2007, may have been 2008. I could:
            a) send the SBd letter;
            b) send a prove it letter; or
            c) ignore it.

I'm inclined to go for C! :ranger:

Comment

I'd vote C too xxxxx if they write again then the SB letter
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X