• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

**Case Closed** Cabot Calling Me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **Case Closed** Cabot Calling Me

Started receiving calls from them but can't work out what for.
    Do they purchase from or act for Mackenzie Hall or Thames/Aktiv?
    Tags: None

Re: Cabot Calling Me

If your debts have been sold, you should have received a Notice of Assignment.

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
      If your debts have been sold, you should have received a Notice of Assignment.
      I've not had any letters from them yet, and I'm still being called by Mackenzie Hall. So they've either taken over the account from Aktiv/Thames, or they're chasing about DNs they recorded against me in '07 (not exactly certain what for) both are/will become SB in next the next few weeks. Perhaps they're trying to get an acknowledgement before they do?

Comment

Originally posted by CD36 View Post
        I've not had any letters from them yet, and I'm still being called by Mackenzie Hall. So they've either taken over the account from Aktiv/Thames, or they're chasing about DNs they recorded against me in '07 (not exactly certain what for) both are/will become SB in next the next few weeks. Perhaps they're trying to get an acknowledgement before they do?
        Possibly, although to reset the clock, the acknowledgment has to be in writing. Also bear in mind the default date on your credit file doesn't give an accurate idea of when the debt will be SBd. If you have made any payments, even just £1, that will reset the clock. On the other hand, it's very likely the defaults were recorded several months after your first missed payment.

In any case, don't speak to them, if they want to correspond with you, let them do it in writing. :typing:

Comment

^I wasn't even aware of the DNs until recently, and I don't believe I've ever paid any money to them either. I'm sure I won't have to wait long until the threatograms start, but I certainly won't be speaking to them.

Comment

When the calls start, don't pass up the chance to have fun with them - link.

Comment

CleverClogs that link contains some absolute classics. For anyone not wanting to scour the pages at least have a look at post No. 112 page 6 & post No. 189 page 10
              If Knowledge is Power . . . . . . .Then I Could Easily Light an L.E.D

Comment

CD36 - just keep doing what you're doing, it's working!

CC - loved some of those.

Comment

I can only assume their calls relate to this: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...terest-Charges
                  It's very likely that these accounts are, or will be SB in a week or so. My only concern is that the DNs were issued against an address I left over a decade ago, so they could sue / issue an SD and I'd never know. (Until it was too late).

Comment

Not had a call for more than a week now and nothing in the post either. The DNs have cleared from my file too. They never left a message when they called so I'll assume they were fishing.

Comment

^ I spoke too soon - had more calls but they never leave a message. I think I've worked out what this relates to, but what baffles me is that I was dealing directly with the OC until around '04/'05 so they knew my address, but these clowns issued DNs against an address I left years earlier.
                      What's frustrating is that despite the accounts now becoming SBd, there will always be the possibility of facing random court action.

Comment

Once an account becomes SB, although court action is always possible, they have to show a very good reason why they didn't take action within the 6 year period leading up to it becoming SB. This is unlikely.

Comment

That's what I thought until I read posts about SDs being issued against SBd accounts. In my case the DN was registered at an address I left over 10 years ago, so if they sent one there it's still possible they could get a default without my knowledge.
                          I assumed the judge would require proof of the debt and payment history, but this appears not to be the case.
                          http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ht=#post332055

Comment

I didn't say it was impossible, I said it was unlikely. It does happen, and nobody can give a guarantee it won't; however, in most cases it does not.

Comment

I agree, but it should be conclusive. Once a debt becomes SB it should become non-collectable rather than just unenforceable. Typically the further accounts drop down the DCA chain the more unscrupulous they become, and the fact they could still gain a default judgement without a valid agreement, or proof of payment is of great concern.
                              Last edited by CD36; 8th June 2013, 13:52:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X