• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

second hand car issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: second hand car issue

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
    Should he have returned the jalopy to whence it came?
    Yes! As per this article:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/

Comment

Thanks for that guys.

Chap has had 3 opportunities to rectify the fault and whilst willing to do so, it was only at my cost 100%.

I will be sure to drive the 'jalopy' round to him 1st thing tomorrow.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by pauldaggers View Post
        I will be sure to drive the 'jalopy' round to him 1st thing tomorrow.
        With big signs in the windows saying "This car is CRAP" ?

Comment

I've just spoken to DVLA who advise logbook was sent to me 20-May.
          I told them the situation and they told me to send back section 9 taking the vehicle out of my name.

I can then take the car back to him with all the paperwork as it says on the 'honestjohn' site.

My real concern after I have taken the car to him, assuming he isn't going to play ball, is that he 'refuses to accept' the car back and doesn't write me a reciept saying he now has it back in his possesion.
          Do you think it is vital I get this or not?

Comment

If he doesn't accept the car back and refuses to issue a receipt have the number of Trading Standards with you and phone them from the premises to ask for advice. I'm unsure if you would be able to call the police for this.

Comment

Thanks a lot Labman, I'll make sure I have their number saved as speed dial.

Comment

I spoke with Citizen's advice this morning - needed some clarification on taking the car back to him and what happens should he refuse to accept. A couple of things the woman pointed out to me on the phone were:

* When rejecting a car for the reason I am - it should really be done "very quickly" i.e literally a few days. Although the time it has taken me to inform I'm rejecting shouldn't cause too much issue

* He doesn't have to accept my rejection.

* Considering the amount of miles the car has done he could argue that the fault is down to wear and tear although he would have to prove it's down to that and not a mechanical fault. She said that if it is wear and tear then I don't really have a defence since it would be expected that another fault other than that 1 described to me in advance could occur due to the high mileage.

* Says I can't just take the car back to him at this stage, I need to await a reply from him to my letter. If no reply is forthcoming I take things from there.

On a plus point she says it was a criminal offence for him to right bought as seen as he was doing that to try and take away my rights. She will be notifying trading standards of it

Comment

Originally posted by pauldaggers View Post
                  On a plus point she says it was a criminal offence for him to right bought as seen as he was doing that to try and take away my rights. She will be notifying trading standards of it
                  It certainly would have been a criminal offence contrary to the Consumer Transactions (Restrictions on Statements) Order 1978, but I had an idea that it had been repealed.

Comment

I hope she explained a bit more than that. One point is partially correct, the rest is questionable. To be sure, why not phone Trading Standards, though SOGA seems pretty clear.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                      It certainly would have been a criminal offence contrary to the Consumer Transactions (Restrictions on Statements) Order 1978, but I had an idea that it had been repealed.
                      Replaced by the Enterprise Act in 2002 I believe.

Comment

I actually called Trading Standards to start with tbh and 30 seconds in to me telling the story she said "I'll transfer you to citizen's advice" and was gone at the speed of light...

C.A. did explain the rationale behind her statements a little bit but not in tremendous detail.

Did make it clear though that I had to sit tight and await a response to my letter before I could / should do anything else.

Comment

My error sorry. I'd forgotten we are now in the dangerous situation of CAB fielding what should and should not go forwards to Trading Standards.

As someone who was investigated over the course of two days by Trading Standards and found to be 100% faultless, but TS offered to take action against CAB for their appalling behaviour, I find this a little disconcerting to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                            Replaced by the Enterprise Act in 2002 I believe.
                            Under which the culprit may be told they had been quite naughty and must not do it again.

They'd not even need to stand on The Naughty Step.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                              My error sorry. I'd forgotten we are now in the dangerous situation of CAB fielding what should and should not go forwards to Trading Standards.

As someone who was investigated over the course of two days by Trading Standards and found to be 100% faultless, but TS offered to take action against CAB for their appalling behaviour, I find this a little disconcerting to say the least.
                              I agree, not least of which because some CAB advisers have been known to recommend paying RLP invoices.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X