• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Newlyn Bailiffs RE: Council Tax

Collapse
This thread is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newlyn Bailiffs RE: Council Tax

Need advise regarding Newlyn PLC please.

I've been in contact with both them and the Council. Coventry Council say there is only £79 owing to them and Newlyn have agreed that I do only owe the Council £79, but that because they "have been enforcing a Liability Order for non payment of Council Tax we can make charge for the administration and enforcement of the Liability Order as per The Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992 – Regulation 45 (As Amended). Therefore your outstanding balance is correct at £282.86."

However, when the account originally fell into arrears October last year, I contacted the Council by phone and arranged repayments through the "free" months and they were fine with that, so never heard anything else, had any letters or anything saying we still owed or that things were being passed on.

Last month, out of the blue, Newlyn sent a letter demanding £282.86 without any prior warning...so I'm not really sure how to proceed as I think it is absolutely ludicrous that they're trying to charge me over £200 for what is in affect one letter sent 2nd class 6mths down the line!!

Thanks
    CP
    Tags: None

Re: Newlyn Bailiffs RE: Council Tax

Originally posted by cornish pasty View Post
    Need advise regarding Newlyn PLC please.

I've been in contact with both them and the Council. Coventry Council say there is only £79 owing to them and Newlyn have agreed that I do only owe the Council £79, but that because they "have been enforcing a Liability Order for non payment of Council Tax we can make charge for the administration and enforcement of the Liability Order as per The Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992 – Regulation 45 (As Amended). Therefore your outstanding balance is correct at £282.86."

However, when the account originally fell into arrears October last year, I contacted the Council by phone and arranged repayments through the "free" months and they were fine with that, so never heard anything else, had any letters or anything saying we still owed or that things were being passed on.

Last month, out of the blue, Newlyn sent a letter demanding £282.86 without any prior warning...so I'm not really sure how to proceed as I think it is absolutely ludicrous that they're trying to charge me over £200 for what is in affect one letter sent 2nd class 6mths down the line!!

Thanks
    CP
    Your post tends to suggest you need to start a Formal Complaint with Newlyns. Make sure you clearly mark both the letter and the envelope to the fact you have submitted a formal complaint, copy in the Head of Revenues at every stage through the Newlyn complaints process then if you have to escalate the matter to the Council direct you have a paper trail.

Pepsie

Comment

Should one take that reply to indicate that LB does not have a "positive relationship" with Newlyn in the same way that one is told the site has with the hallowed Marston Group?

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
        Should one take that reply to indicate that LB does not have a "positive relationship" with Newlyn in the same way that one is told the site has with the hallowed Marston Group?
        CC your comments do not put you in a good light.... the poster will have to start at square one and wind themselves to the top, you will be familiar to the tried and tested methods advised on here to getting them there and it does not include 'sleeping' with anyone.

Pepsie

Comment

I have not (yet) accused anyone of adultery.

Should I have done? :rofl:

Comment

Should I ask in the letter of complaint how their charges were incurred?
            I take it the Head of Revenues is based at the council?

Thanks for your help
            CP

Comment

This seems to be nonsense. That regulation (link) merely refers to the levying of distress and refers to schedule 5 - a current copy of which is attached.

Their supposed "administration" charges do not appear anywhere in Schedule 5.

Before the bailiffs became involved, you should have received a summons for a Liability Order to be given against you and, before that, you should have been sent a Final Demand.

Did neither arrive?

When challenged, I expect they'll try to justify it as an "attendance to remove" fee, even though there seems to have been no visit made by a bailiff nor any levy made on any goods.
              Attached Files

Comment

Sorry about the noise...

Should I ask in the letter of complaint how their charges were incurred?
                I take it the Head of Revenues is based at the council?
                Yes, but he/she/it probably won't have a clue what they're playing at, and will doubtless refer the question to Newlyns who'll respond with flim-flam.

Comment

Sorry about the noise...

Yes, but he/she/it probably won't have a clue what they're playing at, and will doubtless refer the question to Newlyns who'll respond with flim-flam.

Which is why the Formal Complaint marked clearly as such is also copied to the council CEO, the Elected Leader, your local member and MP for their perusal of Newlyn's naughty behaviour

Comment

This seems to be nonsense. That regulation (link) merely refers to the levying of distress and refers to schedule 5 - a current copy of which is attached.

Their supposed "administration" charges do not appear anywhere in Schedule 5.

Before the bailiffs became involved, you should have received a summons for a Liability Order to be given against you and, before that, you should have been sent a Final Demand.

Did neither arrive?

When challenged, I expect they'll try to justify it as an "attendance to remove" fee, even though there seems to have been no visit made by a bailiff nor any levy made on any goods.
                    The letter from Newlyn says "Notice prior to removal of goods" but that's it; we've had no visits, no phonecalls, no other letters or anything. Just this one out of the blue months after we had supposedly sorted it out with the Council.

Comment

The letter from Newlyn says "Notice prior to removal of goods" but that's it; we've had no visits, no phonecalls, no other letters or anything. Just this one out of the blue months after we had supposedly sorted it out with the Council.
                      When they do visit then there may be "upfront" unlawful Attending to remove and other additions from the Alice in Wonderland Fee Guide as amended by Brothers Grimm, and Hans Christian Anderson

Comment

The full letter is as follows

NOTICE PRIOR TO REMOVAL OF GOODS

ARREARS OF: Council tax DUE TO Coventry City Council

Removal Contractors and Bailiffs have been now booked and will be working in CV5 ??? within the next seven days. As a result of this action a minimum charge of £95.00 will be incurred.

Full payment of £282.86 is due immediately. Payment can be made by cheque, postal order, credit or debit card or at the post office using transcash reference ?????

Telephone 01604 633001 to suspend bailiff action and further bailiff charges

Comment

NOTICE PRIOR TO REMOVAL OF GOODS
                          What goods?

Comment

Have you by any chance been late (even by a day or two) with a payment to the council in your agreed repayment plan?

Alongside the formal complaint I would send Letter 1 from here as well:

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...Useful-Letters

Also, just to make it VERY clear - Legal Beagles has no special relationship with any bailiff company. However, we do work with them, as opposed to against them to resolve issues and ensure bailiffs comply with the law when possible. Where companies have the majority of the work contracted out for enforcement, it is almost inevitable we work with those companies more.

Comment

What goods?
                              Your guess is as good as mine. That is all the letters states. Had no other contact with Newlyns, this is the first letter of contact.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X