• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

HSBC Loan - no CCA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSBC Loan - no CCA

Hello,
    I have held a loan with HSBC since 2011 for £10,000.00. I currently have around £6,500.00 of this still to repay.
    I asked HSBC for a copy of my original Credit Agreement, which they said they could not provide as it was not filed in any relevant filing system. I wrote back with a SAR request, and they just wrote back to me to say that they could not provide me with a CCA for the same reason.

I have written back today to ask for a copy of the Agreement which they continue to enforce, meaning I have to pay.

Where do I stand? Surely they should provide me with something? It was only 2 years ago.

Thanks,
    K.

Tags: None

Re: HSBC Loan - no CCA

Hi and welcome!

Can I ask, what are you trying to achieve? If you are looking to challenge enforceability, I'm afraid you won't get very far on that argument alone, since this loan was taken out in 2011. Normally unenforceability only works with accounts started before April 2007 due to a change in legislation that was enacted at that time.

There may be other arguments, was there any PPI on the loan?

A SAR request is very different from a CCA request, the SAR is a request under the Data Protection Act for all data held about you, and they have an obligation to respond within 40 days. The agreement should be a part of the SAR bundle but banks often argue that terms do not form part of a SAR because they are not personal data. You would send a SAR to get all your statements and other details regarding the history of your account.

Did you send a SAR letter with the £10 statutory maximum fee? Did you send an official s.77 request for a copy of your agreement with £1 fee? What did you get in response to your SAR?

'Enforcing' doesn't mean asking you to pay, it means taking you to court and obtaining judgment against you. Are you still making the agreed payments or have you defaulted?

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
      Hi and welcome!

Can I ask, what are you trying to achieve?
      Key question from Miss Parrot there.

Comment

They should definitely still supply a copy of any agreement though, so it is an interesting situation for such a young debt.
        "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Originally posted by Celestine View Post
          They should definitely still supply a copy of any agreement though, so it is an interesting situation for such a young debt.
          Indeed - any loan should have the relevant agreement, that's why it's interesting to see where the OP wants to take this as it is a first for me!

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
            Key question from Miss Parrot there.
            I am still making the agreed payments on time. I just want to see what the original terms were really. You always hear so much about debts being written off by companies not keeping up with the paper trail, so, if I could get more, why not?

In response to my SAR, which I sent under the Data Protection Act with £10.00 fee, I got nothing apart from a letter in reply to say that they still could not find my application but that this is satisfied under the Information Comissioner's guidelines... I requested the SAR through a form I got from HSBC and gave it into the branch.

Comment

Hi and welcome!

Can I ask, what are you trying to achieve? If you are looking to challenge enforceability, I'm afraid you won't get very far on that argument alone, since this loan was taken out in 2011. Normally unenforceability only works with accounts started before April 2007 due to a change in legislation that was enacted at that time.

There may be other arguments, was there any PPI on the loan?

A SAR request is very different from a CCA request, the SAR is a request under the Data Protection Act for all data held about you, and they have an obligation to respond within 40 days. The agreement should be a part of the SAR bundle but banks often argue that terms do not form part of a SAR because they are not personal data. You would send a SAR to get all your statements and other details regarding the history of your account.

Did you send a SAR letter with the £10 statutory maximum fee? Did you send an official s.77 request for a copy of your agreement with £1 fee? What did you get in response to your SAR?

'Enforcing' doesn't mean asking you to pay, it means taking you to court and obtaining judgment against you. Are you still making the agreed payments or have you defaulted?

No, there was no PPI. Only looking to see if my original agreement was satisfactory in terms of my affordability at the time. I know it was, but, just want the information on file.

Comment

Originally posted by Kosenurm View Post
                I am still making the agreed payments on time. I just want to see what the original terms were really. You always hear so much about debts being written off by companies not keeping up with the paper trail, so, if I could get more, why not?
                Actually, that's quite a common misconception. Debts are NOT written off due to lack of paperwork, they sometimes become unenforceable, which means the debt still exists, but cannot be recovered through the courts. This is more easily achieved with old accounts set up before April 2007, although I have to concur with Celestine above, they should still supply a copy of your agreement, and it's rather strange they shouldn't be able to do so with a loan from just 2 years ago! :ohwell: :confused2:

Do bear in mind that, regardless of paperwork, if you default on your contractual payments, you'll get a default recorded on your credit file and it will stay there for 6 years.

Don't take this the wrong way, I myself am no stranger to the 'paper trail' (a.k.a. unenforceability or CCA) route, I have £15k worth of debts I haven't paid since 2010, the thing is, they are all pre-2007. :thumb:

In response to my SAR, which I sent under the Data Protection Act with £10.00 fee, I got nothing apart from a letter in reply to say that they still could not find my application but that this is satisfied under the Information Comissioner's guidelines... I requested the SAR through a form I got from HSBC and gave it into the branch.
                I very much doubt such a reply would satisfy the ICO's guidelines, a SAR should yield a copy of all your statements at the very least!

Comment

I don't know if you have a copy of the letter you sent, or whether you can remember whether it included statements, but these should certainly have been included if you asked for them, or asked for everything. The following link provides more information:

http://ico.org.uk/for_the_public/personal_information

We need to have a think now about the lack of an agreement after only two years.

Comment

Did you send a s77 request with £1 ?

M1

Comment

Actually, that's quite a common misconception. Debts are NOT written off due to lack of paperwork, they sometimes become unenforceable, which means the debt still exists, but cannot be recovered through the courts. This is more easily achieved with old accounts set up before April 2007, although I have to concur with Celestine above, they should still supply a copy of your agreement, and it's rather strange they shouldn't be able to do so with a loan from just 2 years ago! :ohwell: :confused2:

Do bear in mind that, regardless of paperwork, if you default on your contractual payments, you'll get a default recorded on your credit file and it will stay there for 6 years.

Don't take this the wrong way, I myself am no stranger to the 'paper trail' (a.k.a. unenforceability or CCA) route, I have £15k worth of debts I haven't paid since 2010, the thing is, they are all pre-2007. :thumb:

I very much doubt such a reply would satisfy the ICO's guidelines, a SAR should yield a copy of all your statements at the very least!
                      Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated, especially as you have explained everything so clearly and politely.

Just a random question, if they cannot provide a signed CCA (or a reconstituted credit agreement), how could they prove I consented to the loan; in a similar vein to some upheld PPI complaints?

Comment

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated, especially as you have explained everything so clearly and politely.

Just a random question, if they cannot provide a signed CCA (or a reconstituted credit agreement), how could they prove I consented to the loan; in a similar vein to some upheld PPI complaints?
                        I think statements would be considered sufficient nowadays - if you hadn't consented to it, why would you be making payments?

I'm still trying to think of some angle on this though, as I'm sure there should be something you should be able to do.

Comment

I'm still trying to think of some angle on this though, as I'm sure there should be something you should be able to do.
                          Thanks for your help. It's not as though they have provided me with a reconstituted credit agreement either (i.e. a copy of the thing I would have signed), so it's a bit odd.

Comment

I think statements would be considered sufficient nowadays - if you hadn't consented to it, why would you be making payments?

Any joy?

Comment

The only thing I've thought of so far is whether you might have any grounds for them losing your personal and highly sensitive data so quickly under the DPA. It's possible that a formal complaint would get you some compensation. Other than that, nothing better so far sorry!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X