• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

How shall I deal with this

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How shall I deal with this

Had a bailiff from Penhamexcel who informed me that I owed council tax and he was here to take an inventory. He just had a piece of paper with an amount on and the bailiff charge of 24.50. We are in arrears with Council tax. We finished paying off one debt last year for council tax and informed Central Bedfordshire we would carry on paying the £200 a month until the 2012/2013 year was finished and carry on until the 2013-2014 year was finished which would be next March April. They agreed. We have paid on or near time for the last five months.
    The Council, I believe, and I am still awaiting their reply on the situation, though they have acknowledge my e-mail and passed it on to revenue, have the outstanding amount from last year and automatically the system has flagged it up. I have received no court information at all, I assumed as the amount on our account on the Council website shows the amount going down with last year and this years payments together that they had acknowledged our letter and were happy.
    We haven't dodged it we are paying. The Court would certainly accept we were doing our best to clear the debt in a timely fashion which means that CBC did not use our correspondence and CBC reply to inform the court - it just seems to be rubber stamped. I do not see any reason, other than i should of informed them again to cover my back of the plan we would like to use, why i should tell them anything. They have it writing what we are doing and it is up to them to make sure that this is implemented.
    What would be the best way to resolve this?
    The idiot bailiff was trying to lecture me on not paying and how would I like it and was taken aback when i said it was being paid off. He said he would be back in 4 days but I will be ready for him.
    One aspect that makes we wonder a bit is that I have been campaigning against certain Central Bedfordshire planning applications quite forcefully and a friend of mine has been fighting against CBC for sometime. We both, in the last week, had problems with our council tax. I know it is unlikely but you never know.
    I have returned and i would like to tell people who contacted me before that my business has closed and i am out of the shop and my sons house is nearing completion and i have kept my sanity and dignity by clearing and digging his garden and that has stopped me getting mad over potential employers ignoring you or in one case saying my experience to run a bookshops was not enough to run a bookshop! After thirty five years of running bookshops I was mad and Oxfam have got both barrels. Ageism is now rearing its ugly head. But i do have plans to work for myself.
    Tags: None

Re: How shall I deal with this

Create an almighty stink by taking up the matter with your local councillors (or snollygosters?) as well as the Leader/Fuhrer of the council and the leader of the opposition or resistance movement.

Tell them that taxpayers' money is being squandered by the council involving bailiffs to collect monies that are already being paid.

Comment

Glad to see your past problems with the shop are over,i know what its like struggling with a business i to lost mine but came through it all,sorry to see your having probllems on the job front some charity oxfam must be to bring ageism into a job i always thought older and wiser?
      as for thie a---hole bailiff im sure you can send him packing
      good luck

Comment

We have been paying through the Council website each month for the last 5 months on time and in full so this makes the Council look stupid as we are doing as we agreed and the record is there. I looks like no-one at the Council checked and that the whole process seems to be automated and rubber stamped by the court which means Mr Bailiff can earn lots of money by scaring people when their case maybe easily sorted out with a bit of attention. I do not think the bailiff will come around but from what i have learnt from here he will be easily dealt with. There is a complaint going into Central Bedfordshire about this and with my ward councillor who just so happens to be the Deputy Chair of the Council.
        If the bailiff starts going on about his fee (he was moaning that he might not get paid - correct sunshine) what shall I do as it was the Councils fault/error and he was just doing his job to be fair? Would I be correct in refusing to pay his fee?

Comment

Originally posted by Patchie View Post
          my ward councillor who just so happens to be the Deputy Chair of the Council.
          He's a chair, is he?

Is he also made of wood?

Comment

He ?might be a plank

Sorry its my sense of humour

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
              He ?might be a plank
              He'd soon become board.

Comment

Ok, Council have come back as said that we defaulted as we were a few days late for the first payment seeing as that was around Christmas New Year it was hard but it was paid and has been since then at the right time and they have happily taken it. They referred me to talk to PenhamExcel direct which i told them i was not going to do so as I will continue paying the amount we specified until the end of this Council Tax year when it will be fully cleared. The record is there as we have paid on the Councils own website. I know I am right on this and would a letter to the council clarify things?

Comment

Funny that I tell Council I am on the Legal Beagles website and I know I don't have to deal with the bailiffs and we will pay you direct and suddenly - pay this amount a month and we will hold off the bailiff. The amount is £9 a month more but not a problem. This is a useful site.

Comment

Originally posted by Patchie View Post
                    Funny that I tell Council I am on the Legal Beagles website and I know I don't have to deal with the bailiffs and we will pay you direct and suddenly - pay this amount a month and we will hold off the bailiff. The amount is £9 a month more but not a problem. This is a useful site.
                    Awww that's really good news,,see,you knew you were in the right and they had no choice but to bow to your obvious knowledge of the way BillyBailiffs can be used,,and what their own obligations are.

Comment

yay for you Patchie.
                      Very happy to read that, hopefully this will make them sit up and listen, especially Mr Counsillor

Comment

Hi Patchie,

Good to hear from you again. For future reference, as bailiffs tend to ignore most things, you have absolutely no legal obligation to deal with the bailiffs at all over Council Tax as long as they don't get a valid levy on any of your property, including that outside - they particularly like levying on cars.

If you click the bailiff tab at the top of the page, you'll find a series of stickies, one deals with handling bailiffs for the first time; another deals specifically with Council Tax. It may be worth your while reading them, though the council seem to have seen sense. They would have been idiotic not to!

Comment

The bailiff did not get a chance of doing anything. He was told quite firmly that we were paying in money - when he queried that told him it was on the Councils own website and that our intention was to keep paying the council and not dealing with him. He wanted to take an inventory but only got as far as the doorstep. I think he realised I knew a thing or two. Everyone else was worried but I was not for once. This site does work.
                          The last lot of bailiffs, the one who produced a knife and asked me if I wanted to borrow it got a slap from their association. I have not seen them since and the matter is much better now that my royalties have been set against the amount. Now to find a job or some way of making money and we will be OK if employers can get over their age prejudice, but they have the upper hand too many people without jobs they can pick and chose.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X