• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ross & Robert Bailiffs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ross & Robert Bailiffs

ARGHHHH!!!
    Just need some reassurance that my knowledge is correct as these chaps do a brilliant job of unnerving me...
    5 years ago, due to horrendous debt, we lost our family home, this ended up in us moving into 5 different properties (rented) in the space of a year :-/. Result being massive co*k up with council tax, our bills were all over the place, at one time being charged for 3 properties at one time. Managed to get this sorted, but apparently still owed the council around £700+ in arrears.
    This was about 4 years ago, and since then have had an on going battle. Equita have been involved from the start, as the council wouldn't deal with it anymore! Throughout year 2011/ 2012 we were paying Equita ( I know, I know, daft thing to do!) £100 a month via debit card...after several months of doing this, asked for account balance from council and "quelle surprise" only about £300 had been recieved by them from the bailiffs. By our reckoning we should have been hundreds of pounds in credit. Met with the council, armed with all relevant paperwork, and on most occasions when we had paid £100, the council got anywhere between £1- £27.32 :-/. Backwards and forwards to Equita, phone calls, e mails, registered SAR requests, 3 x £10 cheques....to never receive a comprehensive breakdown, just to be told fees were charges. They had never levied anything, nor gained access to my home, I know the legal charges are £24.50 1st visit, £18 2nd visit. We heard nothing further from them, haven't for the past year.
    Until today.....Ross and Roberts called, same council tax debt, now been passed onto them, now a grand total of £870!! Initially thought, this chap seems reasonable, seems to be listening to what I am saying....how wrong was I?!
    Despite telling him and showing him all relevant paperwork, proving payments etc (with front door closed behind us), still not budging and saying I owe that amount. Was saying that I could set up a payment plan...I agreed to this probably stupidly as KNOW we can't possibly owe any money, but in mitigation, am a childminder and had children here, and knew he wouldn't go otherwise. He agreed to £50 pm beginning 30/5/13. This I agreed to as was aware I had 2 weeks in which to try sort this out once and for all..
    this is where I'm sure he was lying, he has arranged for a colleague to call 2 weeks tomorrow, to levy goods and also before I can start payment I have to pay incurred charges ( yes more!!) to value of £398 in one lump sum on same date. That's before I begin paying the £870 :-/
    I told him I was not a fool and knew those charges would be false, also that it is not the case that my goods have to be levied prior to an arrangement being made

I know that I never let them in etc etc but what do you suggest I do next?
    I have done the usual letter to council and requested them to take debt back, but to no avail.
    Am soooooo angry that people can be treated as such, I never denied that I owed the original debt several years ago, but am disputing the arrears still remaining as we have paid over £1200 towards it!!!
    FYI we are totally up to date with the past 3/ 4 years CT

Sorry for length and ramble!!

Thanking you in anticipation
    Last edited by sairlp; 15th May 2013, 12:21:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Ross & Robert Bailiffs

The problem here is that the council has "outsourced" its Council Tax collection - and probably other administrative roles - to the infamous firm of Crapita.

Crapita owns both Equita and Ross & Roberts, so complaints of overcharging by bailiffs - even in cases as egregious as this - are hardly likely to succeed. Nor will the Crapita drones take the collection back from the bailiffs, as the Crapita group can diddle more profits from the taxpayer if they can charge their spurious fees.

You will not be the only taxpayer to have been cheated like this - there will probably be many, many more. The council is also being cheated, which provides you with the means to get it rectified. Tell your local councillor about this, as well as the Leader or Fuhrer of the council and the Leader of the opposition or local resistance movement; that way, you should be able to create a big enough stink to get the spurious fees credited to your CT account, even if you don't get the council to remove their Crapita infestation.

The attached file shows the fees that may lawfully be charged.
    Attached Files

Comment

Uuuuurghhhh....Ross & Roberts.......scum of the earth.
      Given your OH's recent problems hun,,,,try playing on the sympathy of the council ,see if they will take it back ( I'm not 100% sure on this one but given recent events you MAY be classed as 'vulnerable',,I can't say for definite though,,hopefully other Beagles can clarify for me)

Comment

Thanks CC and Inca....that was sweet of you to remember Inca
        Since I have had invaluable and supportive advice and words from this site previously, feels good to know there's people to share it all with, who have either been there themselves or have valuable knowledge.
        Sometimes it feels like nothing ever goes smoothly in life, if it's not one thing it's another.
        We can kinda cope with our usual financial struggles, their just a constant in our lives, but the moment something else crops up, everything feels out of kilter :-/

Comment

I hate to say this, but having read what Equita have been up to, this has "Fraud" and "False Accounting" written all over it. Engage with the senior officers at the local authority concerned, Sairlp, but this matter may need to be referred to the police. And, no, it is not a civil matter, in the circumstances, it is a criminal matter. Bailiff companies collecting debts for local authorities MUST account for ALL monies they receive and provide a Statement of Account for all monies received and legitimate fees deducted to the local authority for which they are collecting CT/NNDR arrears.
          Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

They are not called Ross 'n Robbers for nothing, ask the council for a breakdown ow what is owed on each liability order and from what years, and what address they apply to, they may have charged you for periods after you moved at each address.

Comment

Have had bailiff on phone again this morning!
              Telling me that they can't send me a breakdown of account, as haven't had it from Equita :-/....said they just had the amount owed, what a great way to run a business!
              Should I send another letter to Equita asking for complete breakdown of charges etc? Am not prepared to send another £10 as have already sent them 3 in last 18 mths
              Then should I send same to Ross and Roberts?
              As expected, council not interested, am trying to arrange an appointment to go into council and discuss with someone if authority
              Any other suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by sairlp View Post
                Have had bailiff on phone again this morning!
                Telling me that they can't send me a breakdown of account, as haven't had it from Equita :-/....said they just had the amount owed, what a great way to run a business!
                Should I send another letter to Equita asking for complete breakdown of charges etc? Am not prepared to send another £10 as have already sent them 3 in last 18 mths
                You should not have paid anything, as it is your right to receive an itemised and dated breakdown of all the fees (and "costs") charged by those parasites. It is not a Subject Access Request.

Then should I send same to Ross and Roberts?
                Yes, of course.

As expected, council not interested,
                Have you spoken to anyone on the council or just to some brain-dead Crapita drone who claimed to be a council employee?

am trying to arrange an appointment to go into council and discuss with someone of authority
                You'll be damn lucky if you can get past the Crapita infestation.

Any other suggestions?
                Yes.

Raise a stink with your elected councillors, who are paid by the taxpayer rather than Crapita. They may have supposed they were being "big", "smart" or "forward going" to have Crapita "save" taxpayers' money by taking over tax collection (and possibly other administrative functions) but the truth will be that Crapita will have made pots of money whilst providing a piss-poor and arguably corrupt service.

Comment

Not like me really.....but am getting really really anxious re bailiffs returning on Thursday, despite knowing my rights, and having no intention of letting them in...I feel at a loss
                  i have e mailed and sent hard copies of a letter to council, Equita and Ross and Roberts, apart from a automated response to say they have recieved them, nothing else! To both bailiff companies I have again asked for all info that I have been kindly advised to ask for.
                  I also on the letter to the council asking them to take the debt back, said that I felt we could be classed as vulnerable ( not sure if that's true though!!) giving them the following reasons
                  a) my husband has only recently recovered from a severe depression
                  b) I'm a childminder, and have young babies and children in my care...not only could this experience be alarming for them, but I can't do my job correctly if arguing with a bailiff through a shut door or an upstairs window
                  c) my son is poorly in bed, and has been for past 4 mths with ME
                  d) my daughter suffers from anxiety/ panic attacks, which she has recieved professional help for..

I think I just need a bit of moral support really, thanks x

Comment

Regardless of what the bailiff might say, he is not allowed to seize any children to be sold off to pop stars with conical boobs. msl:

Comment

Just remember,,they are after cold hard cash that you just don't have and just can't get. Well done on the 'vulnerable' stance,personally I think you definitely qualify for that,,I recall how ill Hubby was and you don't need this tipping him over the edge again.
                      Keep badgering the council,,every day and keep popping on here,,I can't solve your problems but am good at moral support.....(and then there's Cloggy's unique take on everything msl

Comment

Originally posted by sairlp View Post
                        Not like me really.....but am getting really really anxious re bailiffs returning on Thursday, despite knowing my rights, and having no intention of letting them in...I feel at a loss
                        i have e mailed and sent hard copies of a letter to council, Equita and Ross and Roberts, apart from a automated response to say they have recieved them, nothing else! To both bailiff companies I have again asked for all info that I have been kindly advised to ask for.
                        Have you started to raise Hell with the stupid, self-serving simpletons who are your elected councillors and, if not, why not? It's not just you whom Crapita, Equita, and Ross and Robbers are cheating - they'll have done the same to hundreds or thousands of other people trying to pay off their Council Tax arrears. Ultimately, the council is also being cheated of income, which is being gobbled up in bogus fees and greater profits for the Crapita group.

Phone one of the snollygosters (link) today!

Comment

Tell the Cross 'n Slobbers clown that the press would be very interested indeed in a skanky bailiff harassing a vulnerable family and making all sorts of unfounded threats.

Comment

Do you suppose he'd care?

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                              Do you suppose he'd care?
                              Probably not but Crapita may

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X