• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CCJ Recorded by Hegarty/IND Ltd - No Claim Form Received

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCJ Recorded by Hegarty/IND Ltd - No Claim Form Received

Dear all,

Amazing website - very interesting reading the stories of others' battles on here, I'd really appreciate your help with the following please:

Decided to check my credit report today and found that on May 1st this year a CCJ forjust under £10k was registered against me, details given are for an old address of mine.

My intention is to contest this, apologies but the details are patchy as the matter relatesto a very old account.
    • Judgement 02 May 2013 Northampton CCBC

• Default recorded Dec 2008 (HBOS Credit Card) just under £7k - so they are claiming £3k of interest/costs

• No notice of assignment received from IND

• No paperwork received in relation to the CCJ as I do not live at the address on the claim anymore

• I had back in 2010 requested HBOS to provide copies of the credit agreements, had an acknowledgement and several "we're still looking" letters but no reply.

• Business was very bad at that time and I had to stop paying - and was frankly hoping that they'd be unable to find the agreement and it would have to be written off.

• Unfortunately I have (long story) no access to the correspondance that I had with HBOS back then

• Fast forward back to this morning and after speaking to Northampton CCBC they advise that it is being transferred to my local court, possibly for some kind of enforcement, they have advised that I applied for it to be set aside ASAP.

It's amazing how much stress this instantly creates. Any and all help gratefully appreciated.

I cannot afford to pay this off at all, and having the CCJ is a major blow
    having tried to rebuild my credit file over the past few years.
    Tags: None

Re: CCJ Recorded by Hegarty/IND Ltd - No Claim Form Received

Originally posted by Clipper80 View Post
    Dear all,

Amazing website - very interesting reading the stories of others' battles on here, I'd really appreciate your help with the following please:

Decided to check my credit report today and found that on May 1st this year a CCJ forjust under £10k was registered against me, details given are for an old address of mine.

My intention is to contest this, apologies but the details are patchy as the matter relatesto a very old account.

• Default recorded Dec 2008 (HBOS Credit Card) just under £7k - so they are claiming £3k of interest/costs

• No paperwork received in relation to the CCJ as I do not live at the address on the claim anymore

• I had back in 2010 requested HBOS to provide copies of the credit agreements, had an acknowledgement and several "we're still looking" letters but no reply.

• Business was very bad at that time and I had to stop paying - and was frankly hoping that they'd be unable to find the agreement and it would have to be written off.

• Unfortunately I have (long story) no access to the correspondance that I had with HBOS back then

• Fast forward back to this morning and after speaking to Northampton CCBC they advise that it is being transferred to my local court, possibly for some kind of enforcement, they have advised that I applied for it to be set aside ASAP.

It's amazing how much stress this instantly creates. Any and all help gratefully appreciated.

On the grounds that you were not advised of the court hearing.

Comment

Dear all,

Set aside On the grounds that you were not advised of the court hearing.

Comment

Thank you Streetwise, assuming that goes through, what would be the next steps?

Comment

Thank you Streetwise, assuming that goes through, what would be the next steps?
          Do you still have the letter for the C.C.A. request that you sent in 2010.

Comment

Not the original - hard drive crashed, but I can reproduce as it was from a template

Comment

Not the original - hard drive crashed, but I can reproduce as it was from a template
              Once set aside, request the C.C.A. again one pound postal order, no signature ,recorded delivery letter.

Comment

Originally posted by Streetwise View Post
                Once set aside, request the C.C.A. again one pound postal order, no signature ,recorded delivery letter.
                They will argue that, once judgment has been obtained, they no longer have a duty to comply with a CCA request, see this post for reference. Not sure whether having it set aside would restore the duty.

Originally posted by gravytrain View Post
                As mentioned earlier the OFT consider that the request should be complied witth

WHEN THE DUTY DOES NOT APPLY
                4.1 Sections 77, 78 and 79 set out a limited number of situations where the
                duty to supply copies and statements does not apply.

• It does not apply to an agreement under which no sum is, or will or
                may become payable by the debtor or hirer. It will therefore not
                apply where the agreement has been paid off and terminated. It will
                also not apply where judgment has been obtained
                , unless there is an
                interest-after-judgment clause in the agreement which the creditor or
                owner has not expressly waived. Where, however, the agreement
                has merely been terminated, but monies are or will or may be
                payable under it by the debtor or hirer, the OFT considers that the
                duty will still apply.2

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/bus...it/OFT1272.pdf

Comment

Set aside On the grounds that you were not advised of the court hearing.
                  See below, you'll need to be able to prove you gave them your new address.

Also you'd need to have a valid defence, otherwise you'd find yourself back to square one, i.e. with the CCJ, unless you have good arguments to defend. You need to show the court you have the prospect of a successful defence.
                  http://www.trustonline.org.uk/unders...de-a-judgment/
                  Reasons to set aside

The main reason a court will set aside a judgment if there’s been a mistake, such as a default judgment when you had sent back the form asking for more time.

If you didn’t get the papers, the court will expect you to prove you’d given the creditor your new address.

Likewise, if you missed the hearing, the court will want a good reason before setting the judgment aside.

Warnings about setting aside judgments
                  Setting aside does not mean the case is over. It may still be heard.
                  http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/en...e_county_court

The court may agree to set aside the default judgment even if you did not send in a reply form within the time limit if:
                  • the court thinks you have a real chance of a successful defence to the claim; or
                  • the court thinks there is some other good reason why the judgment should be set aside.
                  If you did not get the claim form, you will usually need to show you have a defence or other good reason as well, for the court to set aside the judgment unless:
                  • you can prove you gave the creditor your new address;
                  • the claim was not made following the rules, for example, they were sent to the wrong address, lost in the post; or
                  • the post office returned the claim papers as they were not able to deliver them.

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
                    They will argue that, once judgment has been obtained, they no longer have a duty to comply with a CCA request, see this post for reference. Not sure whether having it set aside would restore the duty.
                    Well they don't have a copy of the original they sent in 2010 do you think they should reconstitute one as they have suggested.:beagle:

Comment

Well they don't have a copy of the original they sent in 2010 do you think they should reconstitute one as they have suggested.
                      Why not?

That's what HBOS will do! :grin:

Comment

Judgement 02 May 2013 Northampton CCBC.
                        Wow that was quick :eek2:

CCJs normally take a month (or two) to register on CRA files but from what you say it was only 5 working days in this case which is about the same amount of time it takes for the court to post out the order. The reason for the month delay is because you have the opportunity to pay the CCJ within that timeframe before it's formally recorded. Have you checked with Registry Trust Online to see if it's been registered there because I think they're the first to know before passing the information to the CRAs (a month later?):

http://www.trustonline.org.uk/unders...d-the-register

How long is it since you moved from the address to which the court summons was sent and how long since you last had any contact from the Claimant?
                        Last edited by PlanB; 10th May 2013, 23:50:PM. Reason: added link :)

Comment

Thanks to all for their responses. Today I received a package from IND with a scanned copy of what is alleged to be my application form. It is undated - the part where it was stamped "received" is illegible. The section where what is supposed to be my signature appears also has a space for a date, but there's no date there at all.

There are also four(!) copies of credit card agreements:
                          • One referencing penalty fees of £20
                          • One with a subsequent address referencing penalty fees of £12. The format of these agreements (in terms of the font etc.) bears no resemblance to the application form
                          • On the application form there is a box which says "The Agreement" - the text is only barely legible
                          • One sheet which has got an extract (two numbered paragraphs 6 & 7) of some T's & C's. The text on this is also illegible

Then there's a Letter Before Action with an opening paragraph saying that in July 2011 the debt was assigned to IND. I didn't ever receive any notice of assignment - all I have is this one sentence in the letter sent in mid-March. I don't know when the claim was lodged so don't know if they allowed enough time before taking action.

They've not as I requested, sent any of the court papers.

I've checked with the Registry Trust and the CCJ came up under a search. Outraged that it was on my credit record within 2 days of the judgement.

I'm going to send the papers of requesting the judgement be set aside tomorrow morning recorded delivery and copying IND telling them to remove the CCJ from my credit record. My initial intention is to claim that I did not receive the papers as I was not at the address and have had no prior dealings with them.

It's 5 months since I lived at that address, and I know for a fact that the landlord has returned all post for me, to sender.

Interestingly the signature on the document looks like mine but is significantly different.

Seething, but determine to banish IND back to whatever level of hell they came from,
                          Clipper80

PS Will try to upload the agreements with name etc redacted

Comment

A CCJ does not get recorded on the registry trust till after 28 days. The whole idea is that it gives the debtor time to settle the judgement before it is recorded for six years

To set aside a CCJ, you will need to fill out an n244 application notice, it will cost you now £80.00 i believe

Comment

Thanks for the reply but the CCJ IS recorded at the Registry Trust - I can see it having paid the £4 and done a search against my name

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X