• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lewis Debt Recovery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lewis Debt Recovery

I have received a threatening letter from Lewis Debt Recovery and wondered if any other members of the site are familiar with this DCA.

The letter reads as follows:

"We refer to the above mentioned case and must advise you that before we can consider your offer of payment (this is news to me as I have had no contact with them) we require details of your normal weekly/monthly expenditure together with documentary evidence of your income.

It is in your best interest to provide this information by return of post. Should we not hear from you we may transfer your account to one of our field agents who will arrange for a collector to come to your home to personally collect the debt.

Do not ignore this matter; further action will be taken if you fail to respond"

A couple of points:

Am I correct in thinking that the only person who has the authority to request an I&E form is a judge?

I have checked my CRA file and the debt is almost statute barred so are they taking a chance on me panicking?

Sorry for the length of the post!
    Tags: None

Re: Lewis Debt Recovery

Do you know what this debt is for and have you any idea as to when you last made a payment? Bear in mind the default date on your credit file doesn't correspond with your last payment, lenders usually default 3 to 6 months after your first missed contractual payment. Some lenders will default later than that and if you've made any payments (even £1 tokens) after defaulting, the debt won't go statute barred until 6 years have passed without payment or written acknowledgment (5 in Scotland). :clock:

Only a judge can make you submit an I&E form although debtors seeking a repayment arrangement may submit one voluntarily, however, if this is nearly statute barred, you have to be very careful not to acknowledge the debt, any offer of repayment could constitute acknowledgment. Have you made any offers of repayment? Have they written to you before?

Don't worry about the length of the post, on the contrary, the more information you provide the better!

EDIT: I see you've made no repayment offer, in which case just ignore the I&E form! :thumb:
    Last edited by FlamingParrot; 30th April 2013, 13:45:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ruthie59 View Post
      It is in your best interest to provide this information by return of post. Should we not hear from you we may transfer your account to one of our field agents who will arrange for a collector to come to your home to personally collect the debt.
      You may want to look at this post for a letter you can send to tell them you do not with any of their agents to pay you a visit:http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...156#post337156

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The debt is for a credit card and the last payment was in June 2007 so I guess it's almost statute barred.

I have just reported these muppets to the police who have given me a crime number. Almost wish one of their agents would turn up!

Comment

You can play a game of letter tennis to them until July OR you could just ignore them. If they do send a doorstep collector just remember they are POWERLESS and must leave your property when told. You do not have to converse with them other than to tell them to Feck Off

Comment

can i ask? if the police have given a crime number what crime is alleged whilst not siding with debt collectors what crime have they committed?

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
              can i ask? if the police have given a crime number what crime is alleged whilst not siding with debt collectors what crime have they committed?
              Stealing Oxygen, decimation of Rain Forests, Stepping on the cracks in pavements etc etc etc

Comment

The use of threats and as I am often in the house by myself for long periods of time I think that they had no choice but to take it seriously, especially as I live in the depth of the countryside.

Comment

thanks ruthie59 would love to know the police force in your areas view on the actions of bailiffs which is discussed on here maybe others will contact the police when a DCA threatens a doorstep collector

Comment

deleted

Comment

I have to admit to being surprised at their reaction to my complaint but I suppose that they have to take everything seriously these days and I was told to dial 999 and quote my reference number should anyone turn up.

I would urge anyone out there who are dealing with debt collectors and baillifs to do the same, especially having read some of the posts on the site.

Unfortunately I don't think it would be in order to name the force on this thread.

Comment

Well done Ruthie! :clap2:

Not all police are quite as sympathetic as that, I guess if anyone wants to know who they were, they could PM you. :typing:

Comment

Can't see why the police force can't be named on open forum,,it will make a change to have one acknowledged for actually helping an OP.

Comment

Probably because the OP does not want to identify the area in which she lives

Comment

It must be a remarkably small police force if it only operates on one road. :grin:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X