• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

TalkTalk - Ending the contract

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TalkTalk - Ending the contract

I've mentioned elsewhere that my sister in law cancelled her TalkTalk contract in February and last week received a letter from TalkTalk demanding money, and not an insignificant amount, to be paid within 7 days. I advised her to write back repudiating the debt and if they wished they could provide an itemised account.

Yesterday she had a letter back from them saying that the amount was her final bill (though no other details). It also demanded that because of the data protection act she needed to supply other details about herself so that they could write back to her.

I will be advising her to write back again and say that she does not supply personal details to others when there is no need then point out that they have already written to her twice using the information they already have. The final point will be that if she doesn't hear from them again within 7 days then she will assume that the alleged debt did not exist and any further letters will be charged at £20 each.

Might suggest that they go away and actually read the Data Protection Act.

Any other suggestions?
    Tags: None

Re: TalkTalk - Ending the contract

Well TalkTalk have written again, and emailed about the alleged debt. The letter still does not supply the requested information about the alleged debt and continues to request the same personal information again, also adding that they are a large company and it is safe to send them personal information as they are good at handling it. Oh Yeah? Probably as good as them getting their customers accounts correct.

Now emails have started to arrive asking when the debt will be paid. Response to the email will be to ask them stop sending letters and provide details of the invoice for the disputed debt. Also said that a charge of £25 would be made against them for having to handle any more letters. Also added that the amount being requested did not bear any relation to the original monthly charge. And finally: if the requested information was not received within 14 days then the matter would be considered closed.

Good fun.

Comment

Why not refer Squawk-Squawk to OFCOM?

Comment

The latest email to them has been copied to OFCOM. It WILL be reported to OFCOM formally if this silliness goes on much longer.

Comment

My SIL didn't send the email I suggested that should have been copied to OFCOM. They still didn't provide her with details of the debt and appeared to have forwarded it to a debt collection agency, though I suspect it may be an "In House" collection department

I was on holiday in France while this was happening and my SIL paid the money, plus an additional charge of £30! Paid because she didn't want the hastle!

As yet I haven't seen the paperwork but will when we next go to see her. I just hope she hasn't thrown it away during her house move.

I will be forwarding to OFCOM in the first instance. I've sent details to the Guardian money people.

Any suggestions of any additional actions?

3 weeks between initial demand and debt collectors!!! They're taking the mick!

Comment

Never dared raise the question of those bills with SIL BUT I found this web page which says it all

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X