• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Getting out of overtime without getting sacked?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Getting out of overtime without getting sacked?

Personally I'd rather work the extra hours and stay in a job, than go and sit in a job centre once a week/fortnight/month whatever it is. My advice to you, keep the job and keep looking in the meantime.
    Speaking as an employer if two people of the same capabilities came for a job and one was out of work and not seen to be looking and the other was working and looking, I'd take the second one, he's shown he wants to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Sapphire View Post
      Personally I'd rather work the extra hours and stay in a job, than go and sit in a job centre once a week/fortnight/month whatever it is. My advice to you, keep the job and keep looking in the meantime.
      Speaking as an employer if two people of the same capabilities came for a job and one was out of work and not seen to be looking and the other was working and looking, I'd take the second one, he's shown he wants to work.
      I have 3 kids and rent my home, its more the fact I was as well of when I was unemployed and didn't have to take crap day in day out, sure I had no prospects but I still don't in this job as its dead end.

Comment

Originally posted by dj9928 View Post
        I have 3 kids and rent my home, its more the fact I was as well of when I was unemployed and didn't have to take crap day in day out, sure I had no prospects but I still don't in this job as its dead end.
        That's an awful attitude to have, and not a good example to set you're kids either.

Comment

You were well off financially but having a job is not just about that. It's more than that, it's the fact that a person pays their own way rather than have to rely on the state to subsidise them.
          Can I ask if the bedroom tax(so called) would have any affect if you were sacked?
          What would be the affect on your future job changes by being sacked?
          what would it say about you if you simply left the job and were then applying for job roles where you are competing against people who are already working?
          Have you considered working as a Healthcare assistant at your local hospital as the pay would be better?

When I got sacked, I wanted to work and that meant anything and it took me three months and I work 2 jobs now and you may well be better off financially from this month as a result of working. Benefits are not going up but are being capped and are being looked at more negatively. I'd rather work in crap than not work at all.
          "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
          (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

That's the thing, you've got to be sacked to get the benefits, if anyone just leaves I do believe that it takes a lot longer to get in the 'system', is the OP prepared for that ?
            Personally I'd rather work and show my kids good morals than sit on my arse showing my kids that the only way is signing on.

Comment

Even getting sacked now can be classed as gross misconduct, depending on what you were sacked for

Performance will be exempt, anything else will be seen as fair game by the DWP

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
                You were well off financially but having a job is not just about that. It's more than that, it's the fact that a person pays their own way rather than have to rely on the state to subsidise them.
                Can I ask if the bedroom tax(so called) would have any affect if you were sacked?
                What would be the affect on your future job changes by being sacked?
                what would it say about you if you simply left the job and were then applying for job roles where you are competing against people who are already working?
                Have you considered working as a Healthcare assistant at your local hospital as the pay would be better?

When I got sacked, I wanted to work and that meant anything and it took me three months and I work 2 jobs now and you may well be better off financially from this month as a result of working. Benefits are not going up but are being capped and are being looked at more negatively. I'd rather work in crap than not work at all.
                How will I be better off?

Comment

Originally posted by Sapphire View Post
                  That's the thing, you've got to be sacked to get the benefits, if anyone just leaves I do believe that it takes a lot longer to get in the 'system', is the OP prepared for that ?
                  Personally I'd rather work and show my kids good morals than sit on my arse showing my kids that the only way is signing on.
                  I have worked all my life bar 1 stint of unemployment when I was made redundant which lasted 3-4 months, however I earned more 10 years ago than I do now, Its all well and good doing the right thing, setting a good example for my kids etc, it does for a while but morale soon drops when you realize your struggling away doing 43+ hour weeks and aren't really any better off for it, there are many more in the same boat as myself, I don't blame the employers, I blame the government for allowing things to get this way.

Comment

Im a firm believer that if you can work and theres a job you can do you should doit benefits are a safety net not a crutch to rely on,having a disabled wfe who would love to work and being her carer i would work but at my age and with my health i cant work doing what i know i could do but because of my only health problems i cant im really peed of about it,
                    Before benefits come in to it i only get carers allowance and a small pension i wish i could turn the clock back healthwise but that aint gonna happen for either of us,to the OP i say carryon with the job until you find one that suits you better as for 43 hour weeks with 3 kids when they were young we both worked 60 plus hours a week and kept a family and home going its called life make the most of what you got

Comment

I don't blame the employers, I blame the government for allowing things to get this way.
                      It would take a huge leap of the imagination to even suggest that I support the government on anything, but what.....????

The government did not decide that your basic working week would be 43 hours, that they would pay you a crap rate of pay, or that they would require you to do overtime at the drop of a hat. That is entirely the employers choice. If you don't like it then do something about it. Either find better work, or organise. That has always been the workers choice.

Tolpuddle martyrs, you wasted your effort....!

Comment

If you ask a conservative it was the fault of the last labour government LOL

Comment

How will I be better off?
                          You might have noticed the word "may" because without knowing the previous questions that I asked then you are asking me to say you "will" be better off which suggests to me that you think I know all your circumstances without them being posted on this thread.

The best piece of advice my mother gave me was "never quit a job unless you have another one to go to" so I didn't but I did get sacked so technically in the end she was right
                          "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                          (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                          X