• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

E bay scam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: E bay scam

hindesight is an amazing tool that kicks u in the teeth after. i would never buy a very high price item on ebay and of course there is some sort of risk in any 2nd hand transaction. even from reputable traders there have been cases of people un-knowingly buying 2 cars welded together, items that have been stolen etc... it happens and hopefully it only accounts for a very small %. there are many scams and most of the warnings on line are about super obvious ones where pl are offering u stuff unbelievably cheap or compensation where u have had no accident or entering detailses wen if its the real person should have it... sites also sometimes have new ways of doing or presenting business as technolgies unfold. i remember the very first time i bought a ryan air flite in 1997/8 and was so scared because in those days, i was not used to internet purchasing...
    i was fooled like countless others thro a email scam where an offer is sent to my email. now ebay say - ' we never send such offers to private emails but only to your inbox within ebay' . but how am i supposed to know that? they email me practically every dya with their offers discounts, sales, things of interest. this is the nature of e commerce. once u buy somethign u are bombared with their stuff cos they have your email.
    some ppl point out that u need to look at the email address its coming from. very true. and it came from ebay(or at least thats what it looked like. url change for legitiamte business - often companies use dontreply....@their business name .com as opposed to watever it is to eamil them... it shard to keep track with all the emails. and since companies are global. ebay exisits everywhere. wat if i get emails with .de or .se or .com as opposed to .co.uk maybe i was searching somethign tat was coming from a german seller?

in my case i received a ebay email to my private address, i responded, and a invoce follwed from ebay - jus that the payment was by bank transfer. i thought it was their payment protaction plan an di was seemingly paying ebay... that wat the acc no. looked like. also it was a barclays bank account. thats where i bank so i thought - its ebay, barclays no worries... and yes i was caught out...
    the interesting thing is - is a lot of the ebay scams - if not all of them seem to be link ed with barclays.? why. in the law of averages - u would assume internet crime to be a little everywhere, wherever the criminals can get in. so i would of thought one would find hsbc, lloyds, halifax etc... but no - its always barclays.
    why them. wat do they have or not have that makes them more a target for this? or am i just reading too much into this. there are many different types of net fraud from stealing ppls identity, using ppls personal information to defraud them etc but mine was basically i paid the criminal? wow. they did a great job.
    the other question is, in the research i have done, i have found some stats saying ebay gets scammed 600 times a day. also that there are 100 thousand spoof emaisl sent everyo month to ebay customers just in the UK. all they need is just a uptake of 0.01% and they are minted. i dont know wat the ebay fraud is compared to other prolific sites such as amazon, expedia, kayak , ebuyer etc but i would be interested to know wat proportion of crime they account for? who would know that? the police were not willing to give me a figure except that they are receiving a high amount of calls regarding ebay. well probably 600 a day!

Comment

and another interesting thing i just read but cant for the life of me find but a leading university recently did a study to test how many ppl would fall for a spoof email from a leading company vs real correspondance. it was in a very similar format to mine. very profesional with all the links on the email working. everythign correct except the URL has vv instead of a w in the company name. something that your eye would easily miss. anyway. something like 85% of their testers thought this was real and yet something like 70% thought that the real email from another leading company was fake....
      basically the criminals are getting very sophisticated.
      the question is in the light of that, wat are companies doing to protect their customers and to stop this. its not just a case of extra vigilence from the consumer. u could say the whole banking crisis was down to consumers being greedy and should of know better than buying hoses they obiously couldnt afford.... some do.
      banking needs to be so that annonomous ppl cant jsut open and close accounts very quickly or transfer money in and out instantly. there needs to be more cross referencing and evidence of the real identities of ppl opening accounts. more checks on if the stuff they are giving is - real name, real address, real id or passport number, that the passport is real, the house is real and that they actually live there. to doctor a utility bill with a false address is peanuts to setting up spoof emails...

Comment

All the time there are people greedy/stupid or mug enough to fall for these scams many offering something at a supposed bargain price there will be as many people setting up these scams to relieve those people who think their onto a good thing of their hard earned dosh,im sure most of them are not as stupid as some of us think they are but it seems the queue of punters is never ending,as the saying goes BUYER BEWARE???????????????????????????????????????????? ?/

Comment

Interesting to read your comments , sounds like Barclays accept these fraudulent people, why are the police not investigating this???? What do we pay our police for ??? We have reported our case to e bay, the police and Barclays bank none of them seem to be very helpful at all !

Comment

Nig1, you've not yet said how you paid for the item so we can advise more with that information.
            "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
            (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

thats a bit harsh mate. i think a lot of people like myself were not scammed because it was super cheap. but because we wanted something and the price was ok. i didnt buy anything chep. it was about the right price. yes some ppl do fall for very obvious scams but there are some very elaborate sophisticated scams out there that even fool the most dilligent minds. hindsight is a funny thing that smacks us after..

Comment

Originally posted by vadio View Post
                thats a bit harsh mate. i think a lot of people like myself were not scammed because it was super cheap. but because we wanted something and the price was ok. i didnt buy anything chep. it was about the right price. yes some ppl do fall for very obvious scams but there are some very elaborate sophisticated scams out there that even fool the most dilligent minds. hindsight is a funny thing that smacks us after..
                Are you referring to me? If yes, can you clarify why?

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
                  Nig1, you've not yet said how you paid for the item so we can advise more with that information.
                  Yes we paid by bank transfer

Comment

Originally posted by Nig1 View Post
                    Yes we paid by bank transfer
                    darn it, I assume the transfer went through prior to you travelling to collect it?
                    Have you reported it to the police?

Comment

Hi we have just been scammed yesterday sat 20 th April we've come to Scotland to collect a vw camper van that we brought from e bay and we thought we did our homework before parting with our very hard earned savings of £7,000 yes that's right a huge amount to recieve not a thing in return we checked the sellers feedback which was very good , went onto live chat to ask the question if we paid the money upfront would we be able to get money back and yes it was to be held in a Barclays account and wouldn't be touched until we were happy with camper van, it's all a scam we printed paperwork with the e bay logo on , sellers name Alison ciorgovean at an address in Dunoon Scotland!!
                      When we arrived at the address a very elderly man answered the door clearly had no idea what we were talking about, my partner and I traveled together we were so excited to be collecting our camper van, we knew then we had been set up, the thing is we're not stupid although we now feel sick, robbed, and after reading other experiences there's lots of others, so this must be stopped , we have to join together meet up and protest against Barclays bank, for recieving fraudulent people into there banks.We have not only lost our £7,000 , it's cost us over £300 to travel here( transport to airport in Bristol, fly from Bristol to Scotland , bus, train, ferry to Dunoon ) and now were sat in a hotel room at Glasgow trying to find costs of flights to get back home today ( Sunday ) as we have to work tomorrow to earn money the hard way not like these people who have our money!!!what can we do ???? Please help or contact us if you have had any dealings with Alison?? It's helps me to write this and to know we are not the only ones, thanks for reading this were honest hard working couple, who now need to get on with life and try to stick together and try and forget this, it's not going to be easy .!!!
                      Hello I received a second chance to buy email from i thought was eBay on a vw van i was bidding on i lost money on the 19th April I have been in contact with Action Fraud have crime number, sorry to hear about your loss too and I'm not a stupid Lady.

Comment

Hi, do you think it was the same vw as we went for in Dunoon Scotland I can post the reg to you , how much did you pay ?

Comment

Hi, do you think it was the same vw as we went for in Dunoon Scotland I can post the reg to you , how much did you pay ?
                          Hello no its not the same van but i do believe same scam the van was in cumbria and he told me the winning bidder had not got the funds to pay so because i was bidding as well i got a second chance to buy notice, they had all my ebay details i have spoken to the guy who had van for sale and i believe he has had his ebay account hacked, i have spoken to ebay and emailed them too Barclays would not listen to me i will not let this drop.
                          Kindest Regards

Comment

Morning All. Not sure whether you know this is also listed under another section. General Consumer Issues,Online, Ebay and Gumtree Scam. This has been viewed by a BBC journalist and we are currently awaiting contact. Like you i will not let this drop and will do everything in my power to get my money back. Barclays and Ebay have been made aware of this for some years and appear to have done nothing but support the criminals.

Comment

Originally posted by puddle55 View Post
                              Morning All. Not sure whether you know this is also listed under another section. General Consumer Issues,Online, Ebay and Gumtree Scam. This has been viewed by a BBC journalist and we are currently awaiting contact. Like you i will not let this drop and will do everything in my power to get my money back. Barclays and Ebay have been made aware of this for some years and appear to have done nothing but support the criminals.
                              Hello i have posted on other section too i just wanted to make sure that the person on here knew they were not alone on this scam not that it get there money back to them but i hope as a group we can put a stop to this, can't eat or sleep this has stopped me from moving forward with my new business as i was made redundant in october i am a hardworking single mum. i want to know how they get all our details that only ebay should have access too, there is also the issue with barclays as most accounts are from same bank or area.
                              Kindest Regards

Comment

Hello again i have have not lost as much as others on here but it was all i had £1864 here are the bank details of the bank transfer
                                sort code 20-69-15
                                Account number 03275671
                                I received a call from Barclays customer service today as i had email a complaint about how i was spoken to on monday when i had tried to inform them of this account, i spoke to a gentleman called Suhail Adam today and he has taken all details from me and said he would pass on to there fraud team and if i needed anymore help to call 0800 282390 and ask for him, i won't hold my breath on fraud calling me, but i live in hope of a positive outcome.
                                Kindest Regards

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X