• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Tenants Threatened with warrant, managing agent owes the money!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenants Threatened with warrant, managing agent owes the money!

Hi all, I hope you can help.

I am a tenant in a building of around 20 studio flats which was a former commercial premises.

A property management company bought the building with the intention of applying for planning permission to convert it into a hotel in 2/3 years. In the meantime, they have converted the interior into studios and tenants such as me are living there and paying rent.

Our tenancy agreements explicitly state that the management company pays for electricity charges.

The company used to actually have an office in this building but have since moved out. Since then, post has piled up. They know it, because they are often round to do viewings for potential new tenants.

Around a week ago we got a letter addressed to "The Occupier" marked "ELECTRICITY DISCONNECTION NOTICE" from Haven Power:

--------------------------------------------------
    Haven Power
    The Havens
    Ransomes Europark
    Ipswich IP3 9SJ

Dear Sirs

Electricity Supply to: <REDACTED>
    Supply Number: <REDACTED>
    Account Reference: <REDACTED>

Haven Power is the electricity supplier to the above premises.

If you are the current occupier please complete the slip below and return to us at the above address.

Please note that if we do not receive a response in connection with this meter within the next 7 days we will be requesting disconnection, with no further correspondence being entered into.

Yours sincerely

<REDACTED>
    Credit Management Advisor
    --------------------------------------------------------

I immediately told the property agent and they said they would look into it. I heard nothing and today a collection agency has visited the building while I was at work, and were unable to get in. They left this letter:

---------------------------
    <COLLECTION AGENCY NAME AND ADDRESS REDACTED-HEREAFTER REFERRED TO AS "C">

<SOME COMPANY NAME I DON'T RECOGNISE REDACTED/THE OCCUPIER (circled)>
    <OUR ADDRESS REDACTED>
    Date: 16/4/13

The Occupier,

Customer Reference: <REDACTED>
    Outstanding Balance: £33,943.37

We act as authorised officers of Haven Power Limi8ted on behalf of <ANOTHER COLLECTION AGENCY NAME REDACTED-I'VE NAMED "B" HEREAFTER> and your account has been passed to us for collection. We called today to discuss your unpaid account, the details are shown above.

As we were unable to resolve the outstanding amount and/or gain access we now serve notice of our intention to make applications for a Warrant of Entry (Gas and Electricty Boards) Act 1954, Section 2, from the Magistrates Court, to enter the premises and disconnect the supply. The warrant gives us authority to enter your premises without your consent and if necessary, we may be assisted by the police.

If the warrant is actioned then costs will be charged to you. This will need to be paid, along with your electricity charges up to the date your supply is connected, before reconnection is arranged.

Reconnection will be arranged once the outstanding balance and the warrant costs have been paid. You may also be required to pay a security deposit.

Haven Power Limited, <"B"> and <"C"> will not be held responsible for any loss of earnings or other expenses incurred during the period you are disconnected.

If it is your gas supply that we disconnect you may be responsible for arranging and paying a Gas Safe registered engineer to make safe your supply prior to reconnection. This can cost you around £60 depending on the engineer.

Please contact "B" on 01707 252900 between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday to arrange payment or to discuss matters which are preventing payment.

Yours,

Recoveries Agent

Registered Office: <ADDRESS OF "C" REDACTED">
    ---------------------------

I am obviously quite worried. My first instinct is to call the agency above and Haven Power but I'm actually worried that as soon as I say I am a tenant, they will change "THE OCCUPIER" to my own name! And yet my property agent appear to be doing nothing! They always promise something and fail to do it. I feel like they are giving me the runaround.

Do you have any suggestion for my rights, can we stop this disconnection? Should I just cancel my tenancy? Refuse to pay next month's rent? Leave as soon as possible? Should I attempt to call either of the two agencies or Haven Power? I am even thinking of going to all the other tenants and suggesting we all stop paying rent until this is resolved.

Any advice you can give us is greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Tenants Threatened with warrant, managing agent owes the money!

Is the arrangement that your energy costs are incorporated into your rent or is each studio/apartment on separate meters?
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Hi, thanks for replying.

There are no separate meters in each studio.

Basically, the interior of this commercial building was totally redone. Internal walls (they are thin!) were put in to create the units. There are no individual meters, I presume there is just one for the entire building.

Each unit does have its own fuse box (or whatever the modern alternative is called) but no individual meters.

As they have applied for planning permission to convert into a hotel, the council know well that they are renting these studios out to students and young professionals and such-like. So as much as I start to think they are pulling the wool over their eyes, it doesn't add up when you see their commercial intentions. It just makes it look like they are incompetent.

Comment

The ones who owe the money are the property management company, who should have paid this to the energy company. It might be advisable, if you know the address of the property management company, to direct the energy company to them. As for disconnection, yes, the energy company would, in all probability, be entitled to disconnect the energy supplies if the bill remains unpaid. From what you say, it would be advisable for you and the other tenants to seek legal advice from your local Law Centre or Community Legal Advice.

Comment

thankyou bluebottle,

Yes, I actually have a name for the person in the Credit department at Haven. I gave my property company the opportunity to sort it out on their own and they have obviously failed.

The only thing I am worried about if I call Haven is if I give my name, will it suddenly appear on their demands as will be admitting having used their electricity? It seems to me that they must be itching to change "The Occupier" to a real name.

What do you think? I could give a fake name but I don't know if that is a bad idea or not. I doubt they would talk to me without at least giving them my name.

Comment

Haven would have to prove you were liable for the total energy costs. Please speak to your local Law Centre or Community Legal Advice tomorrow. This needs input from a legal professional.

Comment

I'd also recommend the rapid formation of a 'residents committee'. It will affect everyone, so best to act as a group.
              "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Might be worth finding out about council tax?

Comment

Did the council consent to the property conversion/ private tenants? The management agents would have to obtain a number of certificates (gas safety, etc...) before allowed to rent out your units. your problems might be much bigger so I'd start looking for alternative accommodation...

Comment

Hi all, thanks again for your replies.

The AST also says the landlord is to pay the council tax for the property. Now I know that in amongst that pile of letters that they know they receive and never open are also letters from the council.

Here's the thing though, the applications for planning permission are available online. I have seen that the council is fully aware of their using the premises in the interim for residential lettings.

I guess I should just leave a.s.a.p. I understand that two week's notice from the warrant issue must be given. Luckily, I have a storage unit so I can put most of my belongings in there. This has come at a bad time financially for me though. I'm also a contractor, I hope that other landlords are happy enough with that and not having a permanent contract. I guess I can always live in a B&B if the worst comes to the worst. My rent works out to around 28/day (I'm in London) anyway.

Comment

Also, I've told two other people I know in this building. Being London, most people don't give a toss about anyone but themselves, sad to say. But I'm sure when it comes to their electric they will suddenly open their eyes.

I pay my rent at the end of the month. As I'm now on rolling, does that mean if I give notice then I will have to stay/pay till end of next month (May)? Or can it be one month from tomorrow? I seem to recall reading somewhere that it has to match the day of the month per your rent payment?

Comment

In fact we had a fire here once and all I heard was a very quiet alarm. Luckily I woke when I smelled the smoke, could barely breathe, and managed to evacuate the smoke out of the area. I asked them to look into the alarm system, of course they did nothing!

Comment

Hi everyone,

Thanks again for your help so far.

So today I called the property management company. I was quite annoyed and assertive but without having a pop. They said that the person who does billing was off sick and would be in tomorrow.

I was quite annoyed by their lack of action. The manager explained to me that she had a colleague phone them. When I asked "who?", whether Haven or one of the collection companies, she didn't even know! Quite typical, really! Who knows, could have been an outright lie. This manager loves to delegate but never takes charge.

So I underlined to her how serious this was due to the stage of the creditor's action and the number of people impacted. I said that I would hope that her manager or the directors of the company were aware of this and she said that they were. Whether that is true or not, I don't know.

Then when I pushed further, she said that one of the debt collecting companies had called the office. Perhaps they had read the obvious signs outside advertising this company and had only decided to follow up the next day. Or perhaps another outright lie, who knows!

At this point, I decided to email Haven from an anonymous email account. I got a prompt reply from the worker in charge of the case who said simply:

"Thank you for your email. I have sent this on to <name redacted> (debt collection agency) to contact <property management company name redacted>."

Hopefully this means that we won't get hassled anymore. I will be phoning the mgmt company again tomorrow to see where we are at.

If the warrant is actually served then obviously I will give up on the management company, serve notice and move out. From what I understand, it takes two weeks for them to use the warrant, is that right?
                          Last edited by scaredandworried; 17th April 2013, 19:55:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X