Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got an Eviction Notice

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy Just got an Eviction Notice

Hi all sorry about not being around recently, been ill.

Anyway went out today and got home to find that a bailiff had been round and put an eviction notice through the door on behalf of the Abbey who my mortgage is with.

So it looks like I have until 12.30pm on 7th February.

We are scrabbling round trying to raise what I think is needed for the arrears (can't get a proper figure until Monday), so my question is, if I can raise enough to pay the arrears off before 7th February then is the eviction called off, or can they take the money and still say 'sorry not good enough' ?

Any advice/help gratefully received at the moment as I really don't know the score.

Pleae no having a go at me, as I am feeling like I have let everyone down enough as it is.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Just got an Eviction Notice

I take it you already had a Suspended Order then?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

First of all, you have not let anyone down - don't concern yourself with that.

Is this the first you have heard about this? Has there been a hearing?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry Delta, first that you have been ill, also that you are in this horrible situation.
    You know no one here will have a go at you, they will only want to help and why did you not ask sooner?
    I can't sort this out for you, you know that. I think you will soon have someone along who will advise you.
    Once again Delta I am sorry and I am sure something can be done take care Enaid xx
    Looking after your loved ones can be tough, but you’re not on your own.
    Led by carers, we’re here to give you expert help & support

https://www.carersuk.org/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

(((((((((((((((((((((((hug))))))))))))))))))))))) you havent let anyone down at all woman.

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SHARE SOMETHING, DON'T SAY IT ON THE INTERNET !!
    NEVER SEND UNREDACTED DOCUMENTS TO SOMEONE YOU DON'T KNOW
    DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS !!! HOWEVER PLAUSIBLE THEY MAY SOUND !!!
    Amethyst's opinions are her own. Advice is given without liability.
    I carry the dust of a journey, that cannot be shaken away, It lives deep within me, for I breathed it every day....
    www.legalbeagles.info

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes I was on suspended order, but since I lost one job in October and am struggling to make a decent income with my new one I have gotten behind on the repayments + arrears.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

how much behind are you ? and have you kept the bank informed ?

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SHARE SOMETHING, DON'T SAY IT ON THE INTERNET !!
    NEVER SEND UNREDACTED DOCUMENTS TO SOMEONE YOU DON'T KNOW
    DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS !!! HOWEVER PLAUSIBLE THEY MAY SOUND !!!
    Amethyst's opinions are her own. Advice is given without liability.
    I carry the dust of a journey, that cannot be shaken away, It lives deep within me, for I breathed it every day....
    www.legalbeagles.info

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok, if you fail to make the payments under a suspended order, they can repossess without going back to court, however, if you can repay the sum outstanding, the order is cancelled. They cannot take your house.

How much of the arrears can you pay?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the arrears are about 500 - 600, will phone the bank on Monday to find out the figure.

We are scrabbling round trying to raise the money at the moment, and trying to forumlate a plan to stop this happening again.

If I can get the money together before the 7th will that be enough to stop this happening?

Amethyst, I did let the solicitors know just before Christmas that I was having a 'cashflow' problem, but never heard back from them, until today of course!

Thanks for the help so far guys, I just feel like I have let the kids down.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is this on top of the monthly payments or the total arrears?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Delta, do you have any charges on this mortgage account? Anything at all, such as monthly arrears fees etc? This may buy you some time and furthermore, even at this stage you may be able to have the eviction warrant suspended or cancelled but it would be better of course if you could avoid this happening by paying the sum outstanding.

If you cannot pay the full sum outstanding, you may be able to negotiate payment terms, after all Abbey want money, not your house.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't think there are any charges on the account.

This is arrears on top of the monthly payment, the monthly payment is £160ish a month.

Sorry for keep disappearing, but I am trying to work and keep popping back in quiet times

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you cannot raise the funds in time you still have a very real possibility of postponing or halting this possession by filing an N244 as long as you can give concrete reasons as to why this order should be postponed or halted. For example, it may be enough if you can show that you will be able to raise the money to pay the arrears in full, but just not by 7th February.

Section 36(2)(b) of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 allows the court to suspend a possession order for such a term as the court considers reasonable. If the debtor can repay with in the reasonable time no possession order is granted.

Under s.8 AJA 1973 in exercising the powers under s.36(2)(b) the court only has to consider the sums payable in arrears and not any term which may render the full amount repayable.

What amounts to a reasonable period will depend on the circumstances of the case and can include the whole remaining term of the mortgage as occurred in Cheltenham & Gloucester v Norgan. This case also stated the factors the court will take into account when deciding what is reasonable, these are; ability to make payments now and in the future, likely duration of financial difficulty, reason for arrears and the period of agreement remaining.

Essentially, if you can show you can pay off the arrears over the remaining period the court will not order possession.

Given the sums involved I would find it highly unlikely that any court would order repossession of your house.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

delta hunni I'm soooooo sorry to hear this, but don't you dare go thinking you've let anyone down.
    you know that everyone here will do everything they can to help you get through this, I'm with Cet on this one.... I too find it highly unlikely given the sums involved, that it would get as far as a repossession. Hang in there hun.... follow the advice you've been given... don't be afraid to ask for more help if you need it... and if ya just need a chat feel free to pm or skype me.

Take care hunni :hugsss:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi Delta,

Not sure I can be of much help really,but I have been through a repossession it was 5/6 years ago,now if I remember correctly we managed to hold them off the first time by paying the arrears,all I remember is the Balliffs at the door with the joiners ready to change the locks,as we had paid and was told that it would be okay by the bank I told them to contact their office,he came back to say sorry but they hadn't been notified.
    Then can't remember how long after that we fell behind again with payments,all I can remember about that time is that we were paying approx £600. per month in charges more than the mortgage payments we felt we were fighting a losing battle as Hubby couldn't get a job at the time,I had two jobs,4 Children,2 dogs and a cat everything just got on top of us in the end we just handed them the house back we had a week to arrange accomodation,and empty the house,after we had done this we did feel some relief,but saying that if I had only known what I know now,we might have been able to fight it.

Sorry can't offer much in the way of the help that you really need,right now,but can offer my support.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You have let nobody down. In this day and age many people are struggling to make ends meet.

Just look after the family, that is all that matters.
    It's my opinion as a laymen, if in doubt , seek professional advice.

http://niklowe.blogspot.com/

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Large Whisky in one hand - Cigarette in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride"

Libertarian party member for smaller government and more say for the individual.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi again all, sorry for the delay, but have been working (how come I have the only job where overtime is paid at half the regular rate )

Anyway, am now going bog eyed, so thought it was time to call it a night, having had such a traumatic evening hasn't helped with the creative juices either.

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone for your help and support, I know what you are all saying about not letting anyone down, I guess I just felt like I had let the kids down.

The kids have been told, and have been told that they have to help me around the house, minly so I can really bang in the hours working (pardon the pun there!) they have this annoying habit of starting WW3 off just as I login to work, so they have been told to help out and allow me to work.

Just wanted to let you all know that I am still here, and that I am really grateful for all the help/advice/shoulder etc.

You guys rock and have restored my faith in mankind

Off to bed now, as I have a real bad headache, my fingers hurt and I am really tired.

Speak to you all tomorrow

xx

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sleep tight Delta xx

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh Delta sorry hun that I havn't answered earlier, but to be honest it all seems to have been said. Nonetheless if you can get back to paying your monthly payment plus a decent chunk of your arrears per month then the bank would prefer that than to go for a repossession.
    First thing to do monday is find out how much is owed and then talk to them about getting it paid up. Before you make any offers though hun its best to sit down and do yourself a budget and work out how much you can realisitically afford without making rash promises and not being able to keep up with the payments.
    As you know we've been up this road ourselves and I left himself to talk to the banks etc and because he didn't know what our finances were he was pressurised into making arrangements that we couldn't keep, so I had to write to everyone and explain things and get all our payments lowered and now before he speaks to anyone I make sure he knows what limit to go to.
    So like I say hun work out your limit and try to stick to it. Also I'd make sure only one of you does the talking that way you will know where you stand.
    Please keep us posted on how you are getting on, and once you get things organised there is a managing your finances thread Legal Beagles where a few of us have made our confessions and you could join in, no judgement, just help, advice, ideas and support for each other.
    :group:and if you want to 'chat' pm me hun.
    Last edited by Sapphire; 12th January 2008 at 01:25:AM.
    POLITE NOTICE: FOR YOUR PROTECTION AND MINE I DO NOT GIVE ADVICE VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE, ANY ADVICE I MAY GIVE IS DONE FREELY AND WITHOUT LIABILITY, IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS, PLEASE CONSULT A FULLY QUALIFIED AND INSURED PROFESSIONAL.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just wanted to say another big thank you for all the help, hugs and advice that you have all showered on me.

I haven't been around as I have spent all weekend working away, obviously I need to make sure that when I have cleared this up I need to be able to pay everything each month, so have now set myself a target for working. Also there have been some bonuses that have been offered this weekend, and I even managed to get the most work in the company done yesterday (got an extra £5 for that), so as you can assume, I have been hard at it all weekend.

Plus if I hit a certain amount of work this month, then the weekday work will be paid at the same rate as my weekend work (I am contracted to weekends at the mo, and weekdays is half rate).

Anyway just wanted to let you all know that I am ok, to say thanks and let you know why I hadnt been around. It's also bed time and my likkle fingers are worn out!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi Delta, sorry I've only just got back online. Don't be silly, you haven't let anyone down, these things happen, circumstances change and dictate things no matter what we try to do sometimes. And lets face it, if none of us had money troubles we probably wouldn't be on this forum in the first place. I've mentioned before on the forum we nearly got repossessed a few years ago, had the suspended possession, but managed to keep up the repayments and pay the arrears off. Like Sapphire says, don't be pressurised into offering more than you can afford, but a realistic payment and keep to it. I went and paid the cash into the bank every week, rather than monthly, so that I wouldn't be tempted to spend it again.
    You just gotta be positive and hope it can be sorted, I'm not much use with the legal side of stuff but always here if you want a chat, or a rant, or whatever. PM or eamil whenever you feel like it. And 7th of February is a few weeks away yet, so time to get a plan togethr with help from all of us, we'll all do what we can.

Take care mate xx

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi Delta,

I feel so sorry for you being in this situation, I can remember 20 years ago coming out of hospital and the eviction notice from the halifax was on our window. We ended up in a council house for 9 years. I do hope you can find a way out of this situation.

Best wishes,
    Hod..Liam..
    Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

jeeesh what a run around!

Phoned the collections bit of the Abbey, and they put me through to litigation, who weren't open cos it wasn't 9am.

Phoned back, had to go back to collections as i didnt have the number for litigation, and the lady then told me that she couldn't give me any details and that I had to contact the solicitor.

Tried them, but they don't open till 9.30 (all this is not helping when I have been up since 5 waiting to make the calls!)

Anyway finally got someone there, the guy dealing with it isn't in, but she gave me the outstanding arrears figure, which is £606.02, and it positively has to be paid in full, no negotiation (and I wasn't going to argue with them). She also said that if paid in full before hand then they eviction will be stopped, but I am going to email them later and ask for that in writing.

So that's where we are at. I worked like mad all weekend, but I don't get paid that till the end of Feb, and being new to the job, I haven't got a cracking wage this month. Basically working like mad to ensure that I can pay everything needed each month and I don't get in a mess again.

So it's now a case of getting the money together.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sound like you have been having a hectic time of it of late delta. Hope it all gets sorted for you.

Regards

Tanz

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I really hope everything turns out ok for you. I was in the same position 15 months ago. We lost our home 10 days before I gave birth to our youngest son and I wouldn't wish that anguish on anyone. Things are turning around now, and with the current financial climate I'm actually glad we don't have the worry of a mortgage anymore.

huge hugsxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast