• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

OPOS limited problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPOS limited problems

Hi, only just registered on the forum so this is my first post!
    Have been having problems with OPOS ltd ringing me and leaving me obscure answerphone and text messages.
    This is in relation to a small debt that my partner has with an internet provider, Primus. My partner didn't have a contact number at the time so always used mine; this number was then passed on to OPOS regarding the debt and now I am getting two or three calls a week from them. They are rude and unhelpful on the phone, and when I have contacted them by phone myself they have agreed to take my number off their list but then I still receive calls. I use a call blocker as I receive a lot of nuisance calls but it does log the calls.

I rang them today as I had received another call and they had left me another obscure, rude answerphone message. I was told my partner had GIVEN them my number (which he hadn't) as their point of contact- I explained I had called recently (giving him the date and time of phonecall) and the person I had spoken to had agreed to remove me from the list. He asked me who I had spoken to and I said I didn't know as I hadn't been given a name- to this he said he couldn't help me and that he needed the name to find the call, even though I had given him the date and time. I then stated that I thought the calls were harassment. He told me he didn't think they were harassment and that I was over-reacting, then asked me to tell him why I thought it was harassment! I told him I was receiving aggressive calls, texts and answerphone messages on my personal mobile, sometimes whilst I was at college, which I had asked not to receive, which I deemed to be harassment. He told me he disagreed with this, I was wasting his time and he would take the details and try to make a decision on them. He also told me off for not answering their calls.
    To clarify, I have nothing to do with this debt, the contract with Primus was taken out in my partner's name, was paid from his bank account and the only thing linking me to it was the fact he used my phone number.

I found this letter by memeber diskmandave on another thread on this site http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...on-Phone-Calls and was wondering whether I could be confident about sending it to them and that it wouldn't backfire on me, as things generally seem to do!

Opos Limited

1stFloor, Ingram House
    227Ingram Street
    Glasgow
    G11DA

-HARASSMENTWARNING-

WARNING:PROTECTION FROM HARASSMENT ACT 1997;

WARNING:COMMUNICATIONS ACT 2003, s.127

Telephonenumber: *************

Re:Harassment by telephone

DearSir/Madam,

Iam writing in relation to telephone calls that I have received fromyour company, which I deem to be personally harassing.

Ihave verbally requested that these calls stop, but I am stillreceiving them.

Inow require the telephone number listed above to be completelyremoved from your systems.

Iam of the view that your continued telephone calls put you in breachof the Protection From Harassment Act 1997.

Ifyou continue to harass me by telephone, you will also be in breach ofthe Communications Act (2003) s.127 and I will report you to OFCOM,Trading Standards and the Office of Fair Trading, meaning that youmay be liable to a substantial fine.

Beadvised that all telephone calls from your company are recorded.

Yoursfaithfully,

Thanks for your help
    Tags: None

Re: OPOS limited problems

Hi and welcome!

The first thing to do is not to speak to them over the phone at all. Don't ring them back and if you happen to answer the phone, refuse to go through the security questions and hang up. You could also send the 'Prove it' letter below which is probably more appropriate in this case, because you don't want ANY contact from them, either by phone or in writing, as you don't owe them anything. :nono:
    Dear Sirs

Account No: xyz

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself. I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to [CREDITOR NAME]. I am familiar with the CPUTR 2008 and the Office of Fair Trading's Guidance on debt collection, which states that it is unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question. I would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable and in not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive and unfair methods. Furthermore ignoring and disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical & psychological harassment.

I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my liability for the debt in question and await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to Trading Standards and also inform the Office Of Fair Trading of your actions.

Yours faithfully,

Comment

Thanks for the reply! They haven't claimed (yet) that I owe them anything, as I don't let them get to that point on the phone, so not sure if I can use that? They keep calling me for my partner, asking me for his details (which Primus has) etc. which of course I wont give out as he will only deal with Primus (he has made an offer to pay them, and does pay a small amount that they add various charges to but think that may have to be the subject of another thread!) All text messages and answerphone messages are addressed to him, just on my phone, despite me telling them time and again that I'm not involved.

Actually on checking, most of the test messages aren't addressed to anyone, which is weird.
      'Clear your balance by contacting Opos Limited and making a reasonable offer to settle your account. Please call on 01412371033 quoting ...'
      edit: that is quite a nice text from them actually, the only one I have at the moment as like an idiot I deleted all texts from them in a panic (I have anxiety issues).

As you can probably tell I am completely illiterate in terms of this, I understand very little of it as am inexperienced (I'm 22, have no debt and only a current account) so sorry if I am frustrating in my lack of understanding!!

Thanks again

Comment

I have had an evil thought....
        When they ask for your partners details ask them that if you confirm them will they discuss it with you
        If they say yes, just say thank you very much the recording of this will be sent to the Information Commisioner as a breach of the data protection act

Now that is just an evil thought...the letter that FP has suggested seems good to me

If you google that number it says it belongs to a grocer in Glasgow a Mr Hussain

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post

If you google that number it says it belongs to a grocer in Glasgow a Mr Hussain
          LMAO! Does it really?! It is the right number, no typos, very strange!

Comment

Originally posted by theghylpig View Post
            Please call on 01412371033 quoting ...'
            Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
            Originally posted by theghylpig View Post
            LMAO! Does it really?! It is the right number, no typos, very strange!
            http://www.do-business.net/Indexer/Company/I-Hussains

Perhaps Mr Hussain's hobby is debt collecting? :rofl:

Comment

So do you think the letter posted by FP should be the one to send? What do I put for account number? As I'm not involved I don't actually have one- should I use the various reference numbers texted and left in answerphone messages? Is creditor's name my name, my partner's name or the company name?

Thanks

Comment

The creditor is the company name
                Do you have more than 1 reference No , if so I would put all of them in

Yes i would send the one that FP suggests

Comment

I've got two different reference numbers from two different phone numbers which have texted me, one with no name, one with my partner's name. Will put them both in, typing it up now. Thank you

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X