• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Phonecalls from CapQuest - what to do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phonecalls from CapQuest - what to do?

Hi all,

Having done a Google search on these guys, I found my way here and hope you can advise on what to do.

About 2 weeks ago, I came home to an automated phone message saying CapQuest had tried to contact me and may do so again. I googled the company, found they were a Debt Collection Agency and promptly deleted their message. While my husband and I do have a loan and a credit card, these are paid by standing order monthly so there are no arrears, and we have no historical debt which we might be pursued for. Given what I had read about the company, I figured the call was through a random dialler and they were just hoping to chance their luck.

However, I have come home from work every week day for the past two weeks to find a message from them.

There is no reason why these people would be pursuing myself or my husband. We've been in the house since it was built so there are no previous occupants who could be the targets of these calls. The phone number is ex-directory and registered on TPS. I think the number might be all they have as there has been no written correspondence from them - they would send this if they had an address, wouldn't they?

Do I continue not returning the calls and they'll go away eventually? Should I answer and see what they are saying?

Any advice gratefully received.
    Tags: None

Re: Phonecalls from CapQuest - what to do?

Hi and welcome to Legal Beagles.

For starters, ringing a telephone number that is ex-directory and TPS registered when the subscriber has not consented to the caller being provided with the number is a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 and Protection and Privacy of Communications Regulations 2003. CapQuest could be fined for ringing your number.

It also sounds like they are in breach of OFT Debt Collection Guidelines, which is also a breach of their debt collection licence, as issued to them by the OFT.

I would certainly find out why they are ringing you and you do need to find out how they got hold of an ex-directory and TPS-registered number. They also need to be warned they are being reported to the ICO and OFT.

Do not discount identity theft. The other matter that comes to mind is a practice of debt collections agencies called "scatter gunning", where they target people with the same surname, many of whom are not debtors, hoping someone will be weak enough to pay them. It is a practice the OFT take a very dim view of and, in certain circumstances, a debt collection agency could be in breach of the Criminal Law.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Thanks bluebottle.

I'll speak to them and see what their story is. I've never heard of scatter-gunning, and I hadn't considered identity theft.

I may be back, depending on what they say.

Comment

Generally speaking you should not speak to debt collectors on the phone, but this is an exception. Be warned that their staff are trained to manipulate and deceive people on phone calls, so don't let them set the agenda. get what you want from the call and insist that if they want further communication everything must bein writing. Make it very clear that they are breaching obligations, as already stated.

Comment

Don't give them your postal address!

Comment

Originally posted by swifty View Post
            Don't give them your postal address!
            Not under any circumstances. It sounds that they have already made what could prove to be a very expensive error of judgement by ringing an ex-directory and TPS-registered number. To the best of my knowledge and belief, CapQuest could be fined for each call they have made to your number.

Follow Kafka's advice. CapQuest's call centre monkeys can be very deceitful and manipulative, so be firm with them and make it very clear from the outset you will not tolerate any BS or bullying from them. They may treat the OFT and ICO as a joke. They won't be laughing if the ICO hits them with a substantial fine.
            Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

If they have never written then this perhaps suggests that they don't have your address and that this is a speculative approach based on finding a phone number. Never give DCAs any contact or personal info that they don't already have.

Comment

Thanks all for the advice.

I had started crossing my fingers as there was no call yesterday, but they've just rang.

Asked for someone by name, explained there was no-one of that name here. The guy started asking what would be the best time or other number to get this guy but stopped when it clicked that he had a wrong number. Said he would have our number removed from the system and apologised for disturbing me.

No info given on my part except the person they're looking for doesn't live here. Now hoping that's the end of it but know that I now have a strong case if they continue calling, with regards to ex-directory and TPS.

Thanks all again.

Comment

In 2 years here every so often with have debt collectors calling asking for someone who has never lived here or had the number as at times they have asked for the husband or the wife by name i researched the names locally when collectors phone i now tell em they are not and having neverbeen here and tell them to google the names with this town or go on facebook and i tell em where the woman works have told i think 4 collectors so far all they do it seems is pass the number to another firm as i know where the woman works but not which branch if i find out i will tell the next caller i know where she is but wont tell

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                    In 2 years here every so often with have debt collectors calling asking for someone who has never lived here or had the number as at times they have asked for the husband or the wife by name i researched the names locally when collectors phone i now tell em they are not and having neverbeen here and tell them to google the names with this town or go on facebook and i tell em where the woman works have told i think 4 collectors so far all they do it seems is pass the number to another firm as i know where the woman works but not which branch if i find out i will tell the next caller i know where she is but wont tell
                    Have just googled the name and my town, spurred by wales01man, and have found the person in question they are looking for. Turns out their phone number is one digit different to mine, so I'm assuming this has been a data entry error.

Reassured that it's not us that CapQuest looking for, or that they're not chancing their luck.

Comment

See how easy it is with the internet to find someone unless they dont want to be found if anyone searched for me they would only find on the web an address from 4 years ago and thats easy too,glad it set your mind at ease Purplefleet

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X