• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court procedure... help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court procedure... help!

Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong place.

To cut a long story short, OH is being taken to court. He sold his vehicle in November and the engine has since gone bang, requiring a replacement. The buyer feels we are responsible for the repair costs, some £2500.

We have filed a defence, filled in the allocation questionnaire and the case has been transferred to our local court. Today we received an N24 ordering the claimant to submit evidence and explain why he is claiming under his business name when we sold it to him as a private individual.

We have not received a notice of allocation or a hearing date. Does this suggest that the case will be dealt with without a hearing? Or what should we expect next? Never had to deal with court before, so any help appreciated!
    Tags: None

Re: Court procedure... help!

You should excpect either i) a date for a directions hearing, where allocation will be one matter dealt with, or ii) directions to be sent to you eg date of hearing, track allocated (likely to be small claims here), requirements to submit evidence etc.
    Last edited by SpringerSpaniel; 22nd March 2013, 19:09:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SpringerSpaniel View Post
      You should excpect either i) a date for a directions hearing, where allocation will be one mattere dealt with, or ii) directions to be sent to you eg date of hearing, track allocated (likley to be small claims), requirements to submit evidence etc.
      So it is normal to receive a 'General form of judgment or order' before a Notice of Allocation?

Comment

No it is not normal. In your case court office/judge decided that claimant has to explain discrepancies in the claim before any directions are ordered as per springer spaniel post.

Comment

If he purchased by means not connected to his business, e.g personal credit card, personal cheque, or bank transfer from his personal account. Then the claimant would be vexatious as a Company if its limited etc. Is a separate legal entity to him. If he paid by cash then he would need proof the cash came from his business account(s), which would be very difficult.

Personally i would have moved for the claim to be struck out on grounds of vexatious litigant and sought compensation for your costs and distress caused by the unlawful claim.

But first let us know how he paid you, did you invoice him, was the name, under bill to, to his name, home address etc. Also if he had purchased it using company funds for a personal transaction then that, could be misappropriation of funds if the car is registered to him and not his company. Also is his company a limited company?

PM me his company details and name (as he could be one of a number of directors) and i can do some serious digging for you.
          Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Originally posted by Dukesy View Post

So it is normal to receive a 'General form of judgment or order' before a Notice of Allocation?
            The Court does have the power to make an order of its own motion. It may be the Judge is alive to the issues, and may have realized that there are issues which need to be dealt with before the case progresses.
            I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X