• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Supervisor swapping my shifts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supervisor swapping my shifts?

hi all,

i work continental shifts being 4 on 4 off, there are 4 of us that work 356 days a year, one of the 4 of us is a supervisor and is wanting to swap shifts with me for the reason of giving the guy who takes me off and vice versa for my 4 shifts more training, now this reason is rubbish and we all know it but theres not a lot i can do about that, the real reason for this swap is so the supervisor can have christmas and new years off this year and next (as hes just had 2 years off and would be due to start back on this year) in other words we are suppose to be taking it in turns but he thinks otherwise.

hes not formally asked me yet but i knew it was coming for the last week and he mentioned it in passing conversation this week, i made it clear that i wasn't willing to swap and why but he seems adamant he can just swap the shifts around at his discretion, is this right? surely not legal?

id like to nip this in the bud if i can, my partner is due to start part time work and it will have to work around our two children and my present shifts so im not really in a position to be swapping all over the place, can i just say that my partner has already started part time work and that it works around childcare and my job and that it isnt possible for me to now swap my shifts?

thanks in advance
    Tags: None

Re: Supervisor swapping my shifts?

I can see no reason why a supervisor cannot swap shifts if the arranging of shifts is within their authority. If you wish to attempt to argue that you cannot work your shifts due to childcare, then you must formally submit a flexible working request, which can be refused by the employer for business reasons. But be careful what you ask for - you could go down this route and end up far worse off and with less flexibility and not more.

If you really wish to protest this then contriving explanations that are not true may backfire - if you feel strongly about this then submit a grievance.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X