• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Barclays Bank Additions Account advice please....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Barclays Bank Additions Account advice please....

I definitely won't bother with the court route, as there are probably too many things I could have done in the past that would harm my case, but its probably worth one last prod at Barclays. If they still refuse anything more, I'll have to decide if its worth taking it to the FOS....I am quite sure they cannot supply any proof that I asked for the Additions account.

Their exact words were that although my account dates back to 1990, they can only locate statements from Nov 1997 onwards, when the Additions charges were being charged. They say
    ' as we are obliged to keep records for up to 6 years, I am unable to provide evidence that we upgraded your account without your consent' (this still confuses me. Are they saying that as we can't prove we did it without consent, then we must assume we had consent! isn't the onus on them to prove consent!)
    ' At the time we did not require any application to be signed to authorise the amendment to the account, as this could be actioned over the telephone or in branch. Given the length of time elapsed, we are unable to establish where or by whom the upgrade took place'

Comment

A new report questions the transparency of banks. It says, despite claims of reform, lenders are still using hidden fees to maximize profits. Banks say that the fees they charge are reasonable, but the Pew report concludes that many are unfairly charging customers inflated fees to make up for the profits lost to regulations designed to make them more transparent.
      Last edited by Sapphire; 26th August 2013, 10:27:AM. Reason: Removed link

Comment

Good try, rolly!

Spam on link.
        Last edited by charitynjw; 26th August 2013, 10:47:AM.
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi, Don't know if anyone can advise me. I was turned down for an increased overdraft wanted it to be increased from £500 to £1000 which they wouldn't let me have, however a couple of weeks later they offered me a Connect account with a £3000 overdraft. At this point I had no choice as I needed some extra cash. still have it but will be closing it now I know about the charges etc. Is there any chance I can get any money back. I have had the account 20 years.

Comment

Hi Decanus, now here's the thing. I was offered the Additions account the first week it was released (can anyone rember how long ago that was) If memory recalls correctly it was about 1992. Anyway last week I recieved one phone call and one letter. The phone call was from Gladston Brooks asking if I knew I was paying insurance on an Barclays Additions account and the letter was from Bartclays giving me an annual eligibility statement on my Additions account, (this is one hell of a coincidence). Apparently I have RAC, mobile phone, extended warranty (whatever that is) and Card Secure cover. Non of which I knew about on the basis of when I started the Additions account not many people did have mobile phones so this must have been slipped in by Barclays recently without me asking. However here it gets stranger, 10 years ago I moved to France when I now live and in bold letters on the Eligibility Staement is says "YOU MUST BE A UK RESIDENT". Of course I told Barclays I was moving abroad 10 years ago as my new address was changed on the account. What's going on???? I'm still using the account and apparently being charged for all the cover I mentioned. Confused SW France

Comment

Originally posted by rwhite6801 View Post
              Hi Decanus, now here's the thing. I was offered the Additions account the first week it was released (can anyone rember how long ago that was) If memory recalls correctly it was about 1992. Anyway last week I recieved one phone call and one letter. The phone call was from Gladston Brooks asking if I knew I was paying insurance on an Barclays Additions account and the letter was from Bartclays giving me an annual eligibility statement on my Additions account, (this is one hell of a coincidence). Apparently I have RAC, mobile phone, extended warranty (whatever that is) and Card Secure cover. Non of which I knew about on the basis of when I started the Additions account not many people did have mobile phones so this must have been slipped in by Barclays recently without me asking. However here it gets stranger, 10 years ago I moved to France when I now live and in bold letters on the Eligibility Staement is says "YOU MUST BE A UK RESIDENT". Of course I told Barclays I was moving abroad 10 years ago as my new address was changed on the account. What's going on???? I'm still using the account and apparently being charged for all the cover I mentioned. Confused SW France
              Hi--I indeed have similar to you from way way back

How it worked was you paid a fee to be allowed to use an Additions Plus Current Account----and you were then given a few extra goodies which may or maynot have been useful---these of course were clearly stated in my original paperwork

Extended warrant btw gives you addition warranty time on top of the manufacturer's warranty

In your present situation , it appears the goodies are not eligible in France--so I suggest you find a bank account more suitable to what you require

I,myself, have benifited from their mobile phone insurance, gadget and laptop insurance,use of RAC as well as overdraft and extended overdraft--however--the other week I went on the Barclays site to see if there was a cheaper account for me--and I noted that you can now choose the goodies as selectable add-ons.

However--it was far more expensive as the original Additions Plus Account Fees are locked and can't be increased (I think)--I discussed this down at branch and the staff said I'd got a far better deal than anyone joining now.

Hope that helps

Turbs

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X