• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mobile phone problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile phone problems

Son is having problems getting phone fixed. on contract with orange. phone screen stopped working. when took it to shop he got it from was told they would have to wangle details to get it fixed? Got it mended then three weeks later screen went again. took it back to shop said they cant fix it as no insurance. he could pay 30 for insurance to get it sorted. Surely you should have a years guarentee on items. the phone is not working yet you still have to pay the 35 quid a month.
    Is there anything son can do????????
    nannieali

Re: mbile phone problems

Not sure about the phone problem lol but looks like all else is ok, well done.
    Enaid xx

Comment

It dont sound right that they refusing to fix it seeings as tho its under a year old surely it should be covered by manufacturers warranty i personally would phone consumer direct and find out wot your rights are.

Ridiculous that he still has to pay the £35 pmth contract fee when he cant use the phone.

try them find out your rights

hugs xxxx
      me

Comment

OK looking at this
        Mobile phones

Check it out and then see what we can do to help Enaid xx

Comment

You must quote the sale of goods act to them. A mobile phone should last several years. Be firm with them, most of their staff will not know the sale of goods act. Ask to speak to their manager.

Sale of Goods Act - BERR

Comment

many thanks for info will tell son to give it a try.
            nannieali

Comment

Re: Mobile phone problems

The main section to quote from the sale of goods act is that

It must be fit and proper to carry out the purpose for which it was designed.

Or words to that effect without looking , basically it is not carrying out the purpose it was designed to do . He could also try asking for the shop assistants name and then threatening to go to Orange cutomer services at head office and /or the phone manufacturers customer complaints to report Orange.

Any chance you could tell us the make and model of the phone Ali please?
              Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Im sure she said it was an LG, but cant remember wot model LG it was i will find out more today. Thanx guys xxxxx

Scarlet

Comment

IT is an LG PRADA ...............

Comment

His statutory rights, under the Sale of Goods Act can be exercised against the retailer who sold him the phone. They cannot refuse to deal with him and he does not need any form of insurance. Any insurance, warranty, extended guarantees etc. are offered in addition to his statutory rights under the Sale of Goods Act.

It is a generally accepted principle that the seller of the item is responsible under the Act. However, he may choose to pursue LG directly and they may help, but then he may lose his Sale of Goods Act rights as he chose to pursue the matter under the manufacturer's warranty. It should be noted that rights under the Act depreciate over time and neither does it cover faults which are attributable to normal wear and tear or something that the consumer has done to the product. Usually consumers cannot have betterment either, i.e. a brand new replacement after a couple of years use of the old one.

Given that this product is less than a year old and has already been the subject of a failed repair, I would be inclined to demand either a brand new product or a full refund.

Comment

i will pass this on thanks. fingers crossed he gets a result.
                      AL

Comment

Under the sale of good act, the retailer has the right to attempt a repair first. Failing that they would be obliged under the act to replace it or offer a suitable refund. (The refund is time related). In light of the age of this one, a refund would be in order.

Stick to your guns when dealing with them, as in my experience, the average retail employee has had none, or very little training, about the sale of goods act

Comment

Something has just occurred to me here. How old is the 'phone and when did the fault first arise?

The law says that if goods are sold then they must not be faulty. Unless that fault was brought to attention of the purchaser at the time the goods were bough, the purchaser is entitled to their money back or to exchange the goods for something else.

Under the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002, any fault that arises during the first 6 months will be presumed to have existed at the time of delivery. It is therefore up to the seller to prove otherwise.

Consumers also have a right to request a repair or replacement of the goods, (although the seller can refuse if the cost of doing so would be disproportionate to the cost of any other remedy available to the buyer, or a repair or replacement is impossible). In those circumstances the buyer can ask the seller to reduce the purchase price by an appropriate amount or "rescind" (end) the contract and sue.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X