• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Right to Confidentiality At Work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Right to Confidentiality At Work

Admin please be good enough to delete this thread for me.

I've had enough of the hostilities.

Thank you for your time.

Comment

"Bipolar disorder (manic depression) and driving
      You must tell DVLA if you have bipolar disorder.

You can be fined up to £1,000 if you don’t tell DVLA about a medical condition that affects your driving. If you’re involved in an accident, you may be prosecuted.

Car or motorcycle licence

You must tell DVLA. Fill in form M1 and send to DVLA. The address is on the form.
      Download ‘M1 - Confidential medical information’ (PDF, 252KB)

Bus, coach or lorry licence

You must tell DVLA. Fill in form M1V and send to DVLA. The address is on the form.
      Download ‘M1V - Confidential medical information’ (PDF, 243KB)"

Source: https://www.gov.uk/bipolar-disorder-and-driving

It is not true that ceasing treatment means you do not have to inform DVLA, insurers, or employers in the case of people required to drive as part of their job. People may cease treatment for a variety of reasons, that does not mean they are "better".

Comment

Originally posted by Salmon Man View Post
        The DVLA are up to speed. I have not had an episode of mania in years, and avoid the triggers. I am considered less of a risk than those on meds.
        Originally posted by Eloise01 View Post
        "Bipolar disorder (manic depression) and driving
        You must tell DVLA if you have bipolar disorder.

You can be fined up to £1,000 if you don’t tell DVLA about a medical condition that affects your driving. If you’re involved in an accident, you may be prosecuted.

Car or motorcycle licence

You must tell DVLA. Fill in form M1 and send to DVLA. The address is on the form.
        Download ‘M1 - Confidential medical information’ (PDF, 252KB)

Bus, coach or lorry licence

You must tell DVLA. Fill in form M1V and send to DVLA. The address is on the form.
        Download ‘M1V - Confidential medical information’ (PDF, 243KB)"

Source: https://www.gov.uk/bipolar-disorder-and-driving

It is not true that ceasing treatment means you do not have to inform DVLA, insurers, or employers in the case of people required to drive as part of their job. People may cease treatment for a variety of reasons, that does not mean they are "better".
        Perhaps you still have not read the above quote?

Comment

With respect, in your first post you stated you suffer with Bipolar not you used to suffer with it - present, not past tense. It is hardly fair now to say you do not suffer from it. Perhaps you need to make your mind up.

If you suffer, which is what you said, it is very possible your employer's insurance would not cover you in the event of an accident. Just because people do not declare psychiatric conditions to the DVLA does not mean they are right not to do so. It just means they might get insurance more easily and lower premiums, but may well actually be driving around uninsured.

Out of interest, how can you state with such certainty your employer's insurance covers you, when you had not disclosed the condition to them?

Again this is going off topic, but only because I am responding to the points you raised.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
            With respect, in your first post you stated you suffer with Bipolar not you used to suffer with it - present, not past tense. It is hardly fair now to say you do not suffer from it. Perhaps you need to make your mind up.

If you suffer, which is what you said, it is very possible your employer's insurance would not cover you in the event of an accident. Just because people do not declare psychiatric conditions to the DVLA does not mean they are right not to do so. It just means they might get insurance more easily and lower premiums, but may well actually be driving around uninsured.

Out of interest, how can you state with such certainty your employer's insurance covers you, when you had not disclosed the condition to them?

Again this is going off topic, but only because I am responding to the points you raised.
            "Telling your manager and work colleagues about your illness is a personal decision, but you have to ensure you remain within the law and your contract of employment.

If, for example, your employer specifically asks about any illnesses then you should disclose if you have a diagnosis of bipolar."

http://www.bipolaruk.org.uk/faq-livi...h-bipolar.html

As I have never been asked, have a contract of employment which does not mention this or disclosing any other condition, then I think I'm okay, wouldn't you agree?

Comment

Admin please be good enough to delete this thread for me.

I've had enough of the hostilities.

Thank you for your time.
              It is a shame you have been here wasting our time with your alarming post. When we pick you up on key things about your post you ask for it to be deleted. Why?

Comment

Why am I subject to this deviation from topic?

Why are others not being questioned on why their brother robbed out of Tesco, and such?

Seems it's okay to shoplift on this forum, and to wangle out of the civil repurcussions, but me being involved in a couple of legitimate disputes and I'm being demonised.

This is disgusting. You lot are like a dog with a bone.

Comment

It is a shame you have been here wasting our time with your alarming post. When we pick you up on key things about your post you ask for it to be deleted. Why?
                  Because this is all unwarranted and bordering on bullying, that's why I've asked for it to be deleted. The hostility is astounding.

Comment

'Tis true that we are mistaken - often. Wrong - never! In doubt is how much we are prepared to take having our legs pulled.

Comment

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
                      'Tis true that we are mistaken - often. Wrong - never! In doubt is how much we are prepared to take having our legs pulled.
                      Sorry?

Comment

With respect, in your first post you stated you suffer with Bipolar not you used to suffer with it - present, not past tense. It is hardly fair now to say you do not suffer from it. Perhaps you need to make your mind up. .
                        I was under the impression that whilst bi-polar can into remission, it cannot be "cured". On that basis nobody could stop suffering from it, and so any licensing would be contingent upon evidence of continued remission which requires more than someones word for it. According to both MIND and Rethink - who are leading authorities on mental illness, any failure to disclose a mental illness may invalidate insurance, exactly as you suggest Labman. Having suffered from a mental ilness does not necessarily prevent insurers from providing cover, and many do not charge additional premiums - it is the failure to disclose that is the issue. We have come across this in other contexts. Being uninsured in a personal capcity would be very serious - being uninsured in a professional capacity leaves the employer open to significant risks and liabilities. In this case the employer could not be insured for this risk - they were not told about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Eloise01 View Post
                          I was under the impression that whilst bi-polar can into remission, it cannot be "cured". On that basis nobody could stop suffering from it, and so any licensing would be contingent upon evidence of continued remission which requires more than someones word for it. According to both MIND and Rethink - who are leading authorities on mental illness, any failure to disclose a mental illness may invalidate insurance, exactly as you suggest Labman. Having suffered from a mental ilness does not necessarily prevent insurers from providing cover, and many do not charge additional premiums - it is the failure to disclose that is the issue. We have come across this in other contexts. Being uninsured in a personal capcity would be very serious - being uninsured in a professional capacity leaves the employer open to significant risks and liabilities. In this case the employer could not be insured for this risk - they were not told about it.
                          Can you quote any evidence to back this up? As there is no known organic cause for bipolar, then there is no suggestion of a "cure".

I was probably slack with my terminology stating I "suffered" from bipolar. I haven't "suffered" any ills from it for years. Can you also provide any evidence to back up your claim that those inflicted always "suffer"?

Comment

Can you also provide evidence of "remission" from bipolar. That doesn't exist either.

Comment

"Telling your manager and work colleagues about your illness is a personal decision, but you have to ensure you remain within the law and your contract of employment.

If, for example, your employer specifically asks about any illnesses then you should disclose if you have a diagnosis of bipolar."

http://www.bipolaruk.org.uk/faq-livi...h-bipolar.html

As I have never been asked, have a contract of employment which does not mention this or disclosing any other condition, then I think I'm okay, wouldn't you agree?
                              So you do suffer with it again now?

No, I don't think you are okay at all, as there is an obligation to ensure that when you are driving your are insured appropriately. That is your obligation, nobody else. That law over-rides anything you have cited.

As for Eloise not being able to read, you appear to suffer from this affliction as well, as one very relevant question has gone unanswered.

However, I am still of the belief that it is impossible for me, at least, to progress the thread further with you, as you would only see it as incredibly personal, and I really do not want to go to that place, nor indeed for you to go to that place.

This forum may be many things. You have misjudged it very badly indeed, and thrown some very personal accusations at people who have been the victim of civil recovery, with a vast, generalised statement.

Comment

So you do suffer with it again now?

No, I don't think you are okay at all, as there is an obligation to ensure that when you are driving your are insured appropriately. That is your obligation, nobody else. That law over-rides anything you have cited.

As for Eloise not being able to read, you appear to suffer from this affliction as well, as one very relevant question has gone unanswered.

However, I am still of the belief that it is impossible for me, at least, to progress the thread further with you, as you would only see it as incredibly personal, and I really do not want to go to that place, nor indeed for you to go to that place.

This forum may be many things. You have misjudged it very badly indeed, and thrown some very personal accusations at people who have been the victim of civil recovery, with a vast, generalised statement.
                                Yes, I may be guilty of generalised statements, but this thread is littered with them.

Who are the admin of this site please?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X