• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

ergent help needed (debt collection on last years outstanding council tax bill)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ergent help needed (debt collection on last years outstanding council tax bill)

hi all i found this site after spending the morning in tears, i'm at my witts end and dont know what else to do. i made a payment to a debt company after getting a letter through the door from bailiffs (no-one knocked, i didnt even hear it come through i found it on the mat). The payment were divided into three and i had two more payments of the same to make. However i became ill and made the second payment 4 days late. i'm now faced with a £208.25 charge on top of what i owe. the debt is a council tax libitity order. i have paid £150.00 of it to the company and only need to pay £75.00 more the rest is all there costs which with the above brings a total up to over £403 odd how i dont know but they just keep adding as they tell me i lost the right to stop interest being added.
    please help me or direct me to somewear that can help me

many thanks for reading
    mollymolehead

ps i always try to pay my bills, but got behind with a few when my little boy got unwell (long term, but cant get help as they haven't decided what is causing it yet). Now to add to this i'm unwell with the stress the above is causing
    Tags: None

Re: ergent help needed (debt collection on last years outstanding council tax bill)

Dear Mollymolehead

You have come to the right place for advice. I'm sorry I can't help you with your question but there are many here who can.

Just wanted to express great sympathy re you little boy, and the great stress this will inevitably be causing you, and I really hope this will work out well too.

Comment

Re: ergent help needed (debt collection on last years outstanding council tax bill)

Which bailiffs and DCA are you referring to please?

Comment

Have you had a read of this http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...67-Council-Tax if not do so first.

You are not dealing with a debt collector as the Council have sent the Bailiffs instead. Have you let them into your home at all? If so have the made a levy on any of your possessions & if so can you list them exactly as described on the Notice of Seizure? Have they levied on your car? If so is it on any finance? You need to establish exactly how much you owe. You need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:
        1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you
        2 - the dates they were obtained
        3 - the addresses they were for
        4 - the period of time each covers
        5 - how much each one was for
        6 - how much is still outstanding
        7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement
        8 - the dates & amounts of any payments
        Do not believe the amounts the Bailiff has told you.

You also need to find out how much the Bailiffs have charged you in fees, any payments you make they are allowed to deduct their fees first with any remainder going to the Council. Send them Letter 1 from http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...Useful-Letters . best sent initially by email followed by a copy in the post.

Comment

Hi MMH,

Firstly welcome to Legal Beagles. You'll get your help here.

This is to be taken seriously obviously, but it is not something you need to worry about unduly - honestly, please trust me there.

Ploddertom's advice above is absolutely spot on. Please do this asap and then post up again. A quick glance through the bailiff forum (tab at top of page) will show you just how many Council Tax cases we deal with here. So far, fingers crossed, I don't think there is a single one we have not been able to resolve satisfactorily - hence my comment for you to not worry. I appreciate that's easier said than done - I've been there with four liability orders being actively chased at the same time by bailiffs. However, I survived, and I didn't have the help of this forum.

Just to encourage you, once I'd learned the law more I settled out of court with the bailiff company and council for more than I had paid them.

Comment

Hi,

Is there any update on this?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X