• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Parking eye 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking eye 2013

Hello,

Been hit with a ParkingEye "Fine" and need some advice - Please! Situation as follows:

- Parked in a Starbucks on Bath Road, Heathrow for more than allowed time in Jan 2013. Didn't see a sign as I parked; snowy day so not even sure it was clear. It was a free car park and didn't have to purchase a ticket
    - Received a letter whilst I was out of the country saying I parked for more time than I was allowed and now have been fined £60
    - Received another letter whilst away saying fine has now gone up to £100 as I didn't respond in the first 14 days or so
    - When I came back from a holiday, I saw the letters, got a bit nervous and emailed their appeals team saying I was out of the country so can I pay £60 instead - stupid with hindsight, should have Google'd first and came here

What should I do from here? Can they force me to pay? I read one of the other posts around ParkingEye and it seems their not a company that can legally force me to pay a "fine"

What options do I have from here?

Thanks in advance!
    Tags: None

Re: Parking eye 2013

File it under I and do NOT respond to them at all.
    They will huff and puff and make baseless threats, but all told they are utterly toothless.

Fuller explanation available here: http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=46975

Comment

You are correct in the fact that is not an enforceable fine. The usual scenario has been to advise folks to ignore the Andrex they send you. However I would now suggest you write to them asking for a copy of the contract they have with the landowner that allows them to collect any monies, also as the Car Park was free you need to establish what payment is missing and you should ask them to provide you with a POPLA reference.

POPLA is an "independent" appeals service for Private Parking Companies and costs them £27 +VAT to enter a complaint, when the complaint is heard it is only binding on the PPC & you can then start to ignore. If they do decide to do Court then you have a trail you can rely on and they can only claim for actual & necessary costs. £100 is a penalty which is unlawful.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. Could I have any issues given I've acknowledged their letter with an email?

Comment

Don't worry about it, but reset your default action to ignore.

Comment

Originally posted by Curlyben View Post
            Don't worry about it, but reset your default action to ignore.
            I had a PCN from parking eye last week for a parking infringement in a retail park in Aberystwyth in February 16th 2013
            my wife was driving the car and was 40mins overdue a 2hour parking allowance.
            The car is a leased vehicle and i received a letter from the company saying if i do not respond to this PCN and if they receive
            another letter from parking eye then they will pay the amount and i will incur admin charges.
            I have spoken to the hire company and i have given them permission to give out my details, so
            that parking will contact me rather than the hire company.
            I did check out on their payment website and discovered that now they want £85 and not the £50 as i had
            exceeded the payment time limit, as i didnt receive letter until the day before it gave me little time to respond.
            Being a lease car where do i stand?
            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by chriseb View Post
              That depends.

If your wife is driving, it mightn't be wise to stand too close. msl:

Comment

I had a PCN from parking eye last week for a parking infringement in a retail park in Aberystwyth in February 16th 2013
                my wife was driving the car and was 40mins overdue a 2hour parking allowance.
                The car is a leased vehicle and i received a letter from the company saying if i do not respond to this PCN and if they receive
                another letter from parking eye then they will pay the amount and i will incur admin charges.
                I have spoken to the hire company and i have given them permission to give out my details, so
                that parking will contact me rather than the hire company.
                I did check out on their payment website and discovered that now they want £85 and not the £50 as i had
                exceeded the payment time limit, as i didnt receive letter until the day before it gave me little time to respond.
                Thanks
                It's a pity you didn't tell the car hire company they would have a lot of difficulty trying to recover any faux fine and admin charges from you as a court would be likely to rule the PPC was not entitled to the "fine" and if the car hire company is stupid enough to pay, they can't then claim reimbursement from you. They would, in all probability, be deemed to have acted recklessly.
                Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

The fine should now default to you, and you can choose to ignore or appeal and then ignore as you see fit. If the hire company pays the fine, you may need to check the small print of the contract you signed on hiring the vehicle from them, as that might force your hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Driver100 View Post
                    Hello,

Been hit with a ParkingEye "Fine" and need some advice - Please! Situation as follows:

- Parked in a Starbucks on Bath Road, Heathrow for more than allowed time in Jan 2013. Didn't see a sign as I parked; snowy day so not even sure it was clear. It was a free car park and didn't have to purchase a ticket
                    - Received a letter whilst I was out of the country saying I parked for more time than I was allowed and now have been fined £60
                    - Received another letter whilst away saying fine has now gone up to £100 as I didn't respond in the first 14 days or so
                    - When I came back from a holiday, I saw the letters, got a bit nervous and emailed their appeals team saying I was out of the country so can I pay £60 instead - stupid with hindsight, should have Google'd first and came here

What should I do from here? Can they force me to pay? I read one of the other posts around ParkingEye and it seems their not a company that can legally force me to pay a "fine"

What options do I have from here?

Thanks in advance!
                    I just saw your post. Thats where these numptys got my other half with my car saying that he was there 3 hours and he says he was there for 30mins! To be fair there are signs above almost every bay warning about the amount of time you can stay. And they actually got my other half on new years day whilst i was down the road throwing my best friend a suprise 30th party. Im still ignoring their threats.

Comment

The hire company can automatically take the fine out of my account as it is in the contract with them.
                      That is my concern as they said they will not hesitate to pay parking eye should they pursue the hire company
                      As you say labman hopefully the fine will come directly to me.
                      Is it likely to increase from £85?

Comment

The hire company can automatically take the fine out of my account as it is in the contract with them.
                        That is my concern as they said they will not hesitate to pay parking eye should they pursue the hire company
                        As you say labman hopefully the fine will come directly to me.
                        Is it likely to increase from £85?
                        I would doubt the legality of the hire company being able to successfully pull that off, unless they want to lose customers and/or get taken to court by customers. If the fine was legitimate, e.g. local authority, London Congestion Charge, then, yes, the car hire company would, IMHO, be acting perfectly lawfully. However, these faux fines are not legally enforceable and I would argue whether the car hire company has a right in law to pay the PPC, take it from your account and add admin charges, regardless of what it says in their T & Cs.
                        Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Quite apart from whether or not the alleged fine can be enforced, the "admin charges" are likely to exceed the actual costs of dealing with such a claim.

How long does it take to snort, say "In your dreams!" and throw the letter in the bin?

Comment

Looking at the letter i received i cannot see any mention of a "local authority" the only reference is Rheidol Retail Park, so IMO it is not legally binding, however, as my wife admits to the stated times and though she purchased a couple of small items with cash, but kept no receipts, on what grounds can i appeal, though i didn,t personally receive the letter until after the 1st payment deadline.
                            We live 4 hours from that car park so i cannot return and check the signage

Comment

You don't have to appeal if you don't want to.

Alternatively, you could confuse them more by replying to those pennau pidyn in Welshish.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X