• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Laura Ashley Beaumont Mattress

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laura Ashley Beaumont Mattress

Please see a copy of Email/Complaint:

Dear Sirs

I am writing as an extremely dissatisfied customer who is on the verge of issuing legal proceedings against Laura Ashley. In October of last year we received delivery of a new Laura Ashley Super King Divan Base and Beaumont Mattress.

During to refurbishing the room, the bed was not erected until December 2012. Within a a couple of weeks we noticed severe “dipping” in both sides of the mattress. We immediately notified your custom services dept.

After a couple of weeks a technician was sent to our premises to inspect the mattress. He noticed at once the dipping in the mattress as it clearly visible with the bedding on. Following a thorough examination he left stating the report would be sent to Laura Ashley.

After a delay of some weeks of no contact from yourselves my wife contacted yourselves. Eventually she spoke with Jonathan who effectively stated that Laura Ashley would not be doing anything in sorting out the mattress due to “Customer Missuse”. It was then that I continued with Jonathan who clearly was not taking on board any comments, during the call I asked if the call was recorded to which he stated “No” and then went further to request a copy of the notes taken during the call under the Data Protection – again this was refused.

After some difficulty in establishing whether or not a supervisor/manager actually worked there I was put through to Nicola Jones. After explaining the situation and adding that I am now suffering from problems in my neck and shoulders as a result of sleeping on the mattress – she stated that she would look into the matter further. I stated that the Goods are sold were not of satisfactory quality and not fit for purpose under the sale of goods act.

Today I was informed by Nicola that Laura Ashley are refusing to do any anything about the faulty/unfit mattress and refused to state a reason.I am therefore issuing notice of legal proceedings against Laura Ashley for the costs as expended of the goods plus damages arising out of medical treatment.We decided to purchase from Laura Ashley as a Good Quality Retailer – how wrong we were. Laura Ashley clearly have no regard for the law nor its customers. You have happily sold goods not fit for purpose/defective/faulty and are refusing to do anything about this.

We will be claiming the following:
    1 x Beaumont Mattress £1100.00
    1 x Divan Sprung base £ 800.00
    Ongoing Physio £500.00
    Loss of Work £500.00
    Plus costs of issuing under the small claims.

The amount to be claimed will be £2800.00 as this will be the replacement cost of another product.

I will also be issuing a copy of the proceedings to various media outlets in order to highlight the poor customer service from Laura Ashley.

As someone who runs a business I am aware of the need to maintain a high customer care policy in order to maintain existing business. It is clear that Laura Ashley do not.

I await your response.
    Last edited by Amethyst; 3rd January 2015, 08:53:AM.
    Tags: None

Re: Laura Ashley Beaumont Mattress

Hello and welcome to Legal Beagles.

Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) goods you supply must be fit for purpose. As there was a problem with the goods when you bought them, request that they repair the goods at no cost to you.

I am no expert but in my dealings with the distance selling and sale of goods act, my experience is that you have a 28 day period to send an item back, or any replacement is at the Company's discretion.

As you say there is a long delay in you assembling the product, and as you have had renovations there is no concrete proof that the mattress was not damaged while in your possession.

Playing devils advocate here, there is a strong case that Laura Ashley can state the mattress was perfect when it was dispatched and that the assessors report states you damaged it while in your possession, and that it will be your word against theirs. However you have stated it is not fit for purpose and the assessor should write a report saying such. You could get an independent report.

Alternatively how did you pay for the mattress? If it was on credit card you may be able to claim through your credit card company for a refund under section 74 consumer credit act.

As I state I am no expert, so I will Bump your thread for the experts, but to my mind the length of time between receipt and assembly will be against you in the long run
    Last edited by Amethyst; 3rd January 2015, 09:00:AM.

Comment

Re: Laura Ashley Beaumont Mattress

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...andards.gov.uk

I know it's for businesses, but it should answer your question.
      Last edited by Tools; 25th October 2014, 22:46:PM. Reason: 404

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X