• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Disciplinary for unauthorised absence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disciplinary for unauthorised absence

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
    Probably not much to investigate in a case like this, however, I was under the impression you couldn't be dismissed for being absent just one day, even if it was unauthorized, however, there may be other outcomes from a disciplinary.
    As I said, I doubt a dismissal would be the outcome - unless of course, it isn't the first disciplinary. But there is nothing in law to say that someone can't be dismissed for being absent for one day. If you already happened to be on a final written warning, one hour would be enough!

Comment

I'm going to stay self employed I think!!
      "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Originally posted by Celestine View Post
        At least then you only have yourself to blame for the rotten hours and low pay - to say nothing of the taskmaster you have as a boss!

But to be balanced, most people sail through their entire working lives with nary a problem - no disciplinaries, and at worst a whinge or two but no real grievances. Unfortunately nobody ever posts to boards liike this saying "My manager is great, my employer very fair, and although I didn't get as much of a pay rise as I'd have liked, all things considered it wasn't too bad..."

Comment

Well I am self employed and still got the employee of the year award

Comment

Originally posted by TUTTSI View Post
            Well I am self employed and still got the employee of the year award
            Awarding it to yourself does not count!

Comment

I was self employed and came second in employee of the year and i was the only employee durr?

Comment

No it was awarded by the big bosses at our xmas do in St Moritz they presented me with a huge cup with my name engraved on it+ a holiday to Majorca with my hubby. Since then they have wanted my pound of flesh - a method in their madness.

Originally posted by Eloise01 View Post
                Awarding it to yourself does not count!

Comment

I appreciate that there is nothing to stop someone for being dismissed for one offence of unauthorised absence if they are already on a final warning or are within their probationary period.

However to do it without proper investigation and follow the acas code could very well leave them open to a claim of unfair dismissal

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
                    I appreciate that there is nothing to stop someone for being dismissed for one offence of unauthorised absence if they are already on a final warning or are within their probationary period.

However to do it without proper investigation and follow the acas code could very well leave them open to a claim of unfair dismissal
                    There is nothing to investigate if the person was absent, and that absence was unauthorised! The disciplinary gives them an opportunity to put their defence. An investigation may be good practice - it is not required by the law.

Probationary periods have no meaning at all in law - they are entirely irrelevant and exist for the employers purposes, not for legal ones. Anyone can be sacked for almost any reason (or none) - excluding certain reasons such as discrimination, whistleblowing and trades union activity - if they have less than one years service or two years service if their employment began on or after 5th April 2012.

Comment

Same here! My last perm job ended in redundancy after only a year due to company liquidation (although they still operate under a different company and I still work for them as a ltd co). My previous perm job ended nearly 10 years ago, when I went through the whole process of disciplinary, investigations, etc. leading to Le Sack! :ohwell:

Comment

Eloise I must disagree
                        Probationary periods can end employment without notice etc.

As for the absence, an employer who used best practise would want to investigate the circumstances that led to the absence. If this is just at a lower disciplinary level then this can be done at the same time as the disciplinary, if it could lead to dismissal then ACAS codes hold some weight especially if you have the necessary service.

Comment

Originally posted by Eloise01 View Post
                          There is nothing to investigate if the person was absent, and that absence was unauthorised! The disciplinary gives them an opportunity to put their defence. An investigation may be good practice - it is not required by the law.

Probationary periods have no meaning at all in law - they are entirely irrelevant and exist for the employers purposes, not for legal ones. Anyone can be sacked for almost any reason (or none) - excluding certain reasons such as discrimination, whistleblowing and trades union activity - if they have less than one years service or two years service if their employment began on or after 5th April 2012.
                          It's been explained to me that has to do with the notice period, contracts often stipulate just a week's notice on either side during this period. Employees are also often paid less during this period, I had one of them where the contract said after the successful completion of the 3 months probation I'd be earning £3k extra a year. I also know employers who extend the period to keep people on lower salaries.

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
                            Eloise I must disagree
                            Probationary periods can end employment without notice etc.

As for the absence, an employer who used best practise would want to investigate the circumstances that led to the absence. If this is just at a lower disciplinary level then this can be done at the same time as the disciplinary, if it could lead to dismissal then ACAS codes hold some weight especially if you have the necessary service.
                            And I am afraid that I must disagree with you because that would be unlawful! In law a contract can be terminated without notice by the employer in only two instances - for gross misconduct (after a disciplinary has taken place) and during the first month of employment. To terminate a contract at the end of a probationary period without notice, no matter what that contract says, is unlawful.

And I suggest that you read the ACAS code again. It says that employers ought to carry out necessary investigations - it does not say that they must carry out investigations. If the employer, in their judgement, does not consider an investigation necessary, then that is their perogative. There is no instance in law where a case has been won on the basis that no investigation was carried out.

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
                              It's been explained to me that has to do with the notice period, contracts often stipulate just a week's notice on either side during this period. Employees are also often paid less during this period, I had one of them where the contract said after the successful completion of the 3 months probation I'd be earning £3k extra a year. I also know employers who extend the period to keep people on lower salaries.
                              Yes, that is true in some cases, but this is an example of what I was saying. The probationary period is there, in such instances, for the convenience of the employer to "test drive" the employee before giving them better terms (although there is actually no requirement to improve terms after the end of a probationary period - many employers do not). Probationary periods are contract law - not per se employment law. So the terms of the probationary contract must be adhered to. For example, if the employer allows the robationary period to expire without terminating or extending it before the end of the period, then the contract automatically moves on to the post probationary terms. There is no requirement in law to "confirm" probation, because probation doesn't exist in UK law. Some European countries actually have specific probationary contracts in law - when you start with an employer you get a probationary contract for a specified (in law) period of time. During that contract you have no employment rights. If the employer wishes to retain you they must, at the end of that contract, provide a "permanant" contract and you get full employment protection from the start of that contract. It is a system which I am particularly fond of. I accept that an employer needs to ascertain that someone can perform their role, but I do not see that it should take two years (or even a year) for them to do so unless they are singularly stupid. If there are fair reasons to dismiss then it should not be beyond the wit of an employer to be able to comply with a fair process whether someone has four months service or four years service - the requirements are not that onerous!

Comment

Please read what I say. As you say you can be dismissed without notice within the 1st month of employment, so if your probationary is 3 weeks as it is/was with McDonalds ....case rested m'lud.

You state with some certainty that no one has ever won a case because no investigation was carried out, that is far too simplistic argument. If no investigation was carried out then that is probably one of several breaches within the best practise. Acas code of conduct is not law however failure to follow it will probably give cause to uphold any ET.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X