• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Disciplinary for unauthorised absence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disciplinary for unauthorised absence

Good afternoon

last week it was snowing really bad I was traveling in my car late at night and got trapped. I was supposed to be in work at 6 am the following morning. I rang my manager at aprox. 11pm she didn't answer so I text her and told her I was trapped and wouldn't be able to attend work the following day. She text me says what did I want her to do about it it's too late and to message the assistant manager however i don't have her number. I also messaged another person who was on shift to tell them my situation.

Now my manager has handed me a disciplinary hearing date for tomorrow( she did give me 48 hrs notice) for unauthorised absence. I feel she is treating me unfairly. I haven't been late or sick in the past 3 months either.

What can I do??
    Tags: None

Re: Disciplinary for unauthorised absence

you made every attempt to let them know whats happening so I would have though you were in the clear, check with acas,and there are some snow links on here they can force you to make a journey if its unsafe.....

Comment

What is the company's policy regarding attendance when the weather is bad and notifications? That's what you need to know first.

Comment

Originally posted by Sammyness View Post
        Good afternoon

last week it was snowing really bad I was traveling in my car late at night and got trapped. I was supposed to be in work at 6 am the following morning. I rang my manager at aprox. 11pm she didn't answer so I text her and told her I was trapped and wouldn't be able to attend work the following day. She text me says what did I want her to do about it it's too late and to message the assistant manager however i don't have her number. I also messaged another person who was on shift to tell them my situation.

Now my manager has handed me a disciplinary hearing date for tomorrow( she did give me 48 hrs notice) for unauthorised absence. I feel she is treating me unfairly. I haven't been late or sick in the past 3 months either.

What can I do??
        You were absent. It was unauthorised. And how often you turned up to work on time in the last three months isn't relevant. No, it isn't "fair", and it is possible that when you explain what happened, then you won't be disciplined at all. But if you are, unless you are dismissed, which is highly unlikely, there is absolutely nothing that you can do about it, other than appeal. The law does not intervene in disciplinary matters unless they lead to dismissal and you have the required length of service to make a claim. How long have you worked there?

All you can do is explain what happened, explain what you did to try to notify work about the circumstances, and hope for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Eloise01 View Post
          You were absent. It was unauthorised. And how often you turned up to work on time in the last three months isn't relevant. No, it isn't "fair", and it is possible that when you explain what happened, then you won't be disciplined at all. But if you are, unless you are dismissed, which is highly unlikely, there is absolutely nothing that you can do about it, other than appeal. The law does not intervene in disciplinary matters unless they lead to dismissal and you have the required length of service to make a claim. How long have you worked there?

All you can do is explain what happened, explain what you did to try to notify work about the circumstances, and hope for the best.
          What happened to natural justice and commonsense? Or does the OP have an employer who has had a commonsense by-pass? Sounds more like bullying, pure and simple bullying, to me. That helps no-one and can land an employer in hot water, as you will probably know.
          Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

We have to contact work 2 hours before shift.
            What if because of this disciplinary. She gives me another one for whatever reason and I end up being dismissed??

Comment

Originally posted by Sammyness View Post
              We have to contact work 2 hours before shift.
              What if because of this disciplinary. She gives me another one for whatever reason and I end up being dismissed??
              How long have you worked there?

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                That helps no-one and can land an employer in hot water, as you will probably know.
                In what hot water exactly would that be? And why does every employment issue you see appear to be a case of bullying? It may not be "fair" whatever that means in the "commonsense" view of the world, but it is neither bullying, nor is it unlawful.

Comment

She is a bully. She paid someone too much holiday pay knowingly and she then cos he ****ed her off she took the money off him a few weeks later. She has also wont allow 16yr old her proper breaks and no one will stand up for her because the a scared. I have worked there for 4 years.

Comment

OK - so you have employment protection from unfair dismissal. But that is only protection from unfair dismissal - not from a disciplinary which does not result in dismissal. What happens with other people is not relevant - they must stand up for themselves. Are you in a trades union? If not, it is too late to join now for this, but it would be a good idea to join one for any future issues, and you would need to join one well before those future issues may emerge - so do it now.

Comment

Is this the same manager / workplace as the friend in your other post works at?

Comment

Yeah and thanks for your advice

Comment

In that case it sounds like more than one of you should consider joining a union. You are welcome (for the advice) and I'm sorry that there isn't any better that I can give you. Unfortunately, what is fair in terms of the law is not the same thing as "fair" - the law only deals with certain things. Make sure you take a work colleague with you as a witness if someone will go with you - you were told that you have that right?

Comment

Is it a disciplinary or an investigation meeting?
                            If disciplinary you have the right to be accompanied, if it's just an investigation meeting you don't.

Really they should investigate first.

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
                              Is it a disciplinary or an investigation meeting?
                              If disciplinary you have the right to be accompanied, if it's just an investigation meeting you don't.

Really they should investigate first.
                              Probably not much to investigate in a case like this, however, I was under the impression you couldn't be dismissed for being absent just one day, even if it was unauthorized, however, there may be other outcomes from a disciplinary.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X