• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

RLP advice re shoplifting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RLP advice re shoplifting

OK, Seesaw:
    I have scanned the result of the court case in which a shoplifter was taken to court by RLP before.
    I have read the letter from RLP.

"is this legal?" - it's all in the details.
    RLP must invoice you, with a breakdown of the alleged losses, in effect!
    The breakdown should include any stock loss and why, and all security expenses attributable to this one incident.
    If in court, your brother would simply state whether he believes he has already paid for the losses, and why.

Please tell your brother it might have been cheaper to put the chicken on the credit card.

For Retail Loss Prevention
    : you might be well advised to look at your methods of business. Letters containing a threat of legal action, and demanding payment for alleged losses incurred by your client(s) following a fixed penalty ticket must be detailed. This is so they may not be seen as a mere act of intimidation. If enough letters were issued with no sound legal basis, a public nuisance could arise.
    Last edited by christianpassy; 23rd February 2013, 14:25:PM. Reason: working out

Comment

Hello All, I am no lover of supermarkets, and probably the company or person that gave Tesco the chicken have already reported it stolen (only joking, though not really) !!!

Comment

Originally posted by christianpassy View Post
        If enough letters were issued with no sound legal basis, a public nuisance could arise.
        I have yet to see (or read about) any letter sent by RLP in which alleged costs specifically arising from the alleged incident had been listed.

Consequently, I would tend to believe that none of their letters had a "sound legal basis".

Comment

Originally posted by christianpassy View Post
          OK, Seesaw:
          I have scanned the result of the court case in which a shoplifter was taken to court by RLP before.
          I have read the letter from RLP.

"is this legal?" - it's all in the details.
          RLP must invoice you, with a breakdown of the alleged losses, in effect!
          The breakdown should include any stock loss and why, and all security expenses attributable to this one incident.
          If in court, your brother would simply state whether he believes he has already paid for the losses, and why.

Please tell your brother it might have been cheaper to put the chicken on the credit card.

For Retail Loss Prevention
          : you might be well advised to look at your methods of business. Letters containing a threat of legal action, and demanding payment for alleged losses incurred by your client(s) following a fixed penalty ticket must be detailed. This is so they may not be seen as a mere act of intimidation. If enough letters were issued with no sound legal basis, a public nuisance could arise.
          It could be a lot more serious than that if RLP repeat their demands and threats, CP. RLP have been drinking in the Last Chance Saloon for a while and, if they are not careful, time is going to be called on them.
          Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice, I am going to send it all to him, I can't do anymore now its up to him to decide what to do, however he is exactly the type of person they rely on to pay (first time offender, never been in trouble before). He is too scared not to pay because the fear of the threats. He made a mistake, he has never done anything like this before and I certainly think he has learnt a lesson (however why he stole from tescos is beyond me!)

I think I may end up writing a letter for him asking for the breakdown of losses as suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by Seesaw View Post
              Thanks for all the advice, I am going to send it all to him, I can't do anymore now its up to him to decide what to do, however he is exactly the type of person they rely on to pay (first time offender, never been in trouble before). He is too scared not to pay because the fear of the threats. He made a mistake, he has never done anything like this before and I certainly think he has learnt a lesson (however why he stole from tescos is beyond me!)

I think I may end up writing a letter for him asking for the breakdown of losses as suggested.
              Ask them to also provide a detailed account of the alleged "wrongdoings". If they avoid answering this, I would be inclined to go for legal-restraint of both RLP and the retailer involved. They won't like it, but, as the saying goes, "If you play with fire, expect to get burned".

Comment

I still think the best advice is to ignore it.We know form previous cases that when asked for an itemized account they respond with some case stating that it proves that costs can be estimated.

It does no such thing of course, but this is what they will say. At the end of the day they will either attempt to enforce or they won't, nothing you will say will make any difference, the fact is that they seldom even try, unless they think they are going to get a default judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by gravytrain View Post
                  I still think the best advice is to ignore it.We know form previous cases that when asked for an itemized account they respond with some case stating that it proves that costs can be estimated.

It does no such thing of course, but this is what they will say. At the end of the day they will either attempt to enforce or they won't, nothing you will say will make any difference, the fact is that they seldom even try, unless they think they are going to get a default judgment.
                  You would have thought they would have learned from the Oxford case. Not RLP. Oh well, let them learn the hard way.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                    You would have thought they would have learned from the Oxford case. Not RLP. Oh well, let them learn the hard way.
                    As you said pretty much last chance saloon time for them.

Comment

Originally posted by gravytrain View Post
                      As you said pretty much last chance saloon time for them.
                      Yes, indeedy, GT. I wonder if Wacky Jacky is reading this thread like she does most threads referring to RLP on consumer forums like LB, CAG, etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by Seesaw View Post
                        however why he stole from tescos is beyond me!
                        Was Waitrose closed at the time?

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                          I wonder if Wacky Jacky is reading this thread...
                          I wonder if their blacklist/blackmail database has yet been registered...

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                            I wonder if their blacklist/blackmail database has yet been registered...
                            I doubt it very much. The ICO would put Wacky Jacky at the top of the list for an early crucifixion! Lol! Seriously though, CC, the list you refer to has echoes of the illegal databases a number of people have been fined for maintaining and the insidious database maintained by The Economic League.

Comment

Okay he's decided to try and ignore the letters and threats, but what he is worried about is ballifs turning up? Am I right in thinking that they can't send the ballifs round as its not an unlawful debt until its been to court? What's the likely course, more letters and more threats?
                              i will keep you updated, but he is quite vulnerable and reckon he will crack and pay because he won't be able to cope.

Comment

Ok definitely NO bailiffs!
                                Tell him to not even read the damned letters, he'll get a few but if he ignores them, they will give up. Over 50% of these demands are never settled (according to the Oxford judgment. As I said earlier, the 'business model' relies on consumer ignorance, fear and embarrassment.
                                Just tell your brother to put the letters in a large brown envelope marked 'Empty Threats' or other apt title!!
                                "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X