• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

RLP advice re shoplifting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RLP advice re shoplifting

Hi
    Hi hoping someone can give me some advice, unfortunately much to my disgust my brother was caught shoplifting from Tesco a couple of days a go, I was very shocked when he told me and when I asked what he had taken and why he said 'I took a couple packets of chicken, I put them at the bottom of my bag and paid for some other stuff' He said he had done this because he had very little money left to live on.

I know he is struggling money wise and he is on his own, and I am his only confident.

I assume he openly admitted this as the police were called and he was given a £80 fixed penalty ticket and told nothing further would happen. He deeply regrets this, but what he seems more worried about is that he was given a leaflet and told he would be contacted by RLP for civil recovery costs.

he hasn't had the letter yet, but I am worried that when he does this could send him over the edge as he has MH issues. I have done some research and seen that fees can amount into the 100's. He just about has enough to pay the £80 although he will have to use a credit card.

what can be done, I personally feel he has paid the price for his wrongdoing, he has been fined a hefty amount and banned from tescos. Criminally once he has paid the fine nothing more can be done, so this is then a civil recovery, is this legal?

i want to help him as I'm all he has.
    Tags: None

Re: RLP advice re shoplifting

Have a good read of some of he threads at http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...Civil-Recovery

Comment

Was the fine for alleged theft of the chicken or having poor taste in shoplifting at Tesco? Only joking. If Tesco recovered the chicken and it was in a saleable condition and they put it back on sale, they have suffered no loss and, therefore, cannot legitimately make a civil claim. If he does get a letter from RLP, come back onto this thread.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
        Was the fine for alleged theft of the chicken or having poor taste in shoplifting at Tesco? Only joking. If Tesco recovered the chicken and it was in a saleable condition and they put it back on sale, they have suffered no loss and, therefore, cannot legitimately make a civil claim. If he does get a letter from RLP, come back onto this thread.

Thanks will do, I'm not sure if it was put back on sale, I am going to see him today so will ask and if he does get a letter will come back many thanks

Comment

Hopefully the chicken was not put back out then hopefully he learnt a lesson and RLP keep out of it

Comment

He got his letter today, I have to say although I think he is a complete idiot for doing this, I don't see how this is fair, surely its two bites at the cherry? I am sure he would be more than happy to pay for any losses in regards food items, but £147!!!
            Attached Files

Comment

I would write directly to the manager of the store, stating his case with an apology, and explaining his circumstances, and ask if they will accept installments, mentioning that any legal proceedings would only place him in severe hardship where they may not be able to recover the costs at all. Worth a try.

Comment

There is much written in this and many other forums about these "invoices".
                The advice given by the CAB at one point was just to ignore them, I think it is fair to say that they have very little or no validity in law.
                They will argue otherwise of course, but at the end of the day they very very seldomly take anyone to court over one of these bills and when they do they loose, in 99.9% of the cases.
                In the main they depend on people just paying up because they are intimidated by their legal jargon. You could write back and say that you do not acknowledge that they have any right in law to fix an approximate rate for damages in a civil action, or that the time used in policing their stores form part of the operating budget and therefore does not constitute a loss that can be claimed as damages, but to be honest they have heard it all before.
                No one can tell you what to do and I for one would not seek to advise you either way, I can only say that if it were me I would put it in the bin and follow it up by putting any further correspondance from them along side it.
                Last edited by gravytrain; 22nd February 2013, 21:21:PM.

Comment

These jokers have no basis in law for making such demands. They are trying to frighten, and clearly get away with it on a regular basis because if everyone stood up to their pathetic threats they just wouldn't be in business. They are preying on the vulnerable.
                  What, in law, have they lost? The price of the goods, maybe, if they didn't put them back on sale. The staff involved were all on salary, so they would have been paid anyway, whatever their duties, whether attending to shoplifters or engaged on other duties within the store. The store did not have to pay the police for their involvement, so no losses there.
                  If they are dumb enough to commence county court proceedings the amount of the claim dictates that it will be a small claims procedure, which does not entitle the claimant to recover its legal costs for the action. All that is recoverable is a small fee they pay to the court to start the case and another small fee on judgement being entered in their favour - but first they have to win! You can bet RLP won't do the legal work themselves but will have to instruct solicitors - and this costs them money, which they cannot recover, so it's unlikely they'll start court action.
                  I'd be inclined to write back and say that any civil proceedings will be strenuously defended and that you will be happy to argue your case before a district judge. Call their bluff - there is nothing to lose by doing so.

Comment

Please read here:

http://legalbeagles.info/rlp-and-the...-and-the-lies/

Ignore these demands utterly. The 'business model' of Civil Recovery demands relies on public ignorance.
                    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

I thought this was 'wanting advice on shoplifting', I may need to go to bed.

Comment

Was the fine for alleged theft of the chicken or having poor taste in shoplifting at Tesco?
                        Please God, we are NOT talking about theft of chicken.
                        N~o~o~o~o~o~oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! :rofl:
                        Please forgive me, Seesaw - good luck with your brother.
                        The last time I saw a man with chicken in his rucksack, I had a romantic time with him.
                        It ended rather quickly, though, when I got a s21 notice, later.
                        Didn't check if the things were Tescos or Sainsburys, mebbe that was the problem...
                        Last edited by christianpassy; 23rd February 2013, 00:24:AM.

Comment

Originally posted by christianpassy View Post
                          I thought this was 'wanting advice on shoplifting', I may need to go to bed.
                          My advice on shoplifting from Tesco is threefold:
                          1. Don't; it's dishonest and you'll regret it someday
                          2. If you must, don't get caught
                          3. Have you considered shopping somewhere better, such as Netto or Lidl ?

Comment

Originally posted by Seesaw View Post
                            He got his letter today, I have to say although I think he is a complete idiot for doing this, I don't see how this is fair, surely its two bites at the cherry? I am sure he would be more than happy to pay for any losses in regards food items, but £147!!!
                            Have you spotted the truthful statement in that farrago?
                            Provided our client does not seek to recover in excess of its losses, such losses are recoverable in law.
                            Yet that is exactly what they seek to do - and why the Oxford case failed so utterly!

Comment

As per usual, RLP makes demands, but does not set out EXACTLY how the OP has committed the alleged wrongdoings and how and in what way their client has suffered loss, if at all. My advice is to ignore. If they start cranking things up, it might be worth considering legally-restraining RLP and their client. It would be interesting to see how RLP and their client react to that.
                              Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X