• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Parking on dropped kerb

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking on dropped kerb

I am having a problem with cars partially blocking my driveway which is making it very difficult to get in and out of my drive. There is a dropped kerb by the entrance of the drive and the parked cars are blocking the dropped kerb by 1-2 metres. Is this an offence?
    Tags: None

Re: Parking on dropped kerb

Yes, phone the local council. They are more likely to come and ticket a car that is blocking you in ie impeding your exit, than the other way round.

Long term you could request the council paint a white line across the dropped kerb. It wouldn't necessarily stpp the blocking as it's only advisory, but it is a visual reminder to motorists

Comment

The council will almost certainly charge you an arm and a leg for the line - they did me and it was quite some time ago and in a previous property. I did find that the nice policemen towing away one of the offending vehicles since it was preventing me getting to court did the trick. It took no time for the word to get around not to expect your car to be there if you blocked my drive. I believe the power to tow still exists, but not sure if it is the Police or the Council that now exercise it. It might be worth investigating though.

BTW - the cheeky so and so had the nerve to knock on my door later that evening to ask if I had seen anything because their car had been stolen!

Comment

If someone blocks the entrance/access to your driveway, thereby preventing you from driving out of it, they commit an offence and, as Eloise has illustrated, the offending vehicle can be removed for causing unnecessary obstruction. However, the same does not apply if you are prevented from driving into your drive. Under those circumstances, there isn't a lot you can do. However, if the driveway belongs to or is demised to a disabled person or persons, that may be a different case.
        Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Eloise01 View Post
          The cheeky so and so had the nerve to knock on my door later that evening to ask if I had seen anything because their car had been stolen!
          LOL! And what did you reply?

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
          However, the same does not apply if you are prevented from driving into your drive. Under those circumstances, there isn't a lot you can do.
          That's mad - sometimes the law really is an ass!

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post

That's mad - sometimes the law really is an ass!
            You said it! However, whether the police can take action will depend on a number of factors, e.g. does the driveway need to be kept clear for access by, for example, emergency vehicles or access to an electricity sub-station. It is very much a case of judging each case on its individual circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
              I told him where it was and that it would be there every time he blocked my drive again.

Mind you, this was in the days when all parking offences were dealt with by the Police and I think they were fed up of coming out every other day to ticket someone (apparently tickets were not enough of a hint). Want to know what the funniest thing was - there was loads of available on street parking all around, but that would have required people to walk a few yards more to the church that was responsible for the problem, and it was the church employees who were causing the problem. I'd actually been and asked the vicar niicely to speak to them, but apparently neither God not parking tickets held any sway. Towing worked fine though!

Comment

I told him where it was and that it would be there every time he blocked my drive again.

Mind you, this was in the days when all parking offences were dealt with by the Police and I think they were fed up of coming out every other day to ticket someone (apparently tickets were not enough of a hint). Want to know what the funniest thing was - there was loads of available on street parking all around, but that would have required people to walk a few yards more to the church that was responsible for the problem, and it was the church employees who were causing the problem. I'd actually been and asked the vicar niicely to speak to them, but apparently neither God not parking tickets held any sway. Towing worked fine though!
                What's the saying, "The Lord works in mysterious ways." Lol!

Comment

Reading the OPs post he or she does not mention for how long the car is blocking the drive or if they ever asked people to move the car as we all know parking your car outside your house is the cause of many neighbour disputes,I have been asked not to park outside peoples house even when there is no dropped kerb or parking restrictions when i have said im within my right tp park i have had people rant swear and threaten me i always stood my ground if someone asked politeley i may have moved i have to wonder if the OP has ever asked?

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                    What's the saying, "The Lord works in mysterious ways." Lol!

":rofl:His blunders to perform"

Comment

Want to know what the funniest thing was - there was loads of available on street parking all around, but that would have required people to walk a few yards more to the church that was responsible for the problem, and it was the church employees who were causing the problem. I'd actually been and asked the vicar niicely to speak to them, but apparently neither God not parking tickets held any sway. Towing worked fine though!
                      The only Church in the land where the Bible had 11 commandments - "Thou shalt not park across Elouise's driveway."

It's not the same church that had the am dram society that did Bizet's 'Carmen' is it?

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                        Reading the OPs post he or she does not mention for how long the car is blocking the drive or if they ever asked people to move the car as we all know parking your car outside your house is the cause of many neighbour disputes,I have been asked not to park outside peoples house even when there is no dropped kerb or parking restrictions when i have said im within my right tp park i have had people rant swear and threaten me i always stood my ground if someone asked politeley i may have moved i have to wonder if the OP has ever asked?
                        The cars obstructing the driveway are parked overnight, three different cars over the last few weekends. I don't even know who the cars belong to or what houses they are visiting. Trouble is I am a carer and I could be called out any time in the night, and I am worried that one night I will be blocked in completely.
                        To go back to my original question, the parked cars are partially blocking the dropped kerb (even though there is room to park away from the dropped kerb) which makes it very difficult to get out of my driveway. I realise if they are fully blocking the dropped kerb that they are committing an obstruction offence, but what are the rules for partially blocking a dropped kerb?
                        Picture of the problem:

Comment

Go to YPLAC website, they have a notice on there you can print off.
                          put the notice on their cars, take a photo and submit it to the website.
                          I've done this a couple of times with great effect

Comment

Have you got a notice on your gate informing that 24 hour vehicle access required?

Comment

Yes 3 signs. one one each pillar and one on the gate. Perhaps these morons cannot read..

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X