• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Overpayment of salary passed to debt collector?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overpayment of salary passed to debt collector?

Hi all, I wondered if it was possible to have a little advice please?
    I was overpaid salary some time ago and arranged a repayment schedule (minimal amount) which we have paid monthly over the past few years. I last contacted the local authority in question in 2008 to inform them of a change of address and wish to increase the payments but heard nothing and continued to pay the monthly agreed amount. I have recently had a letter from a debt company (not the la!!) advising that the want all of the amount plus interest, and am a little confused...
    Any ideas/ advice would be really appreciated! I have left a message with the debt firm with my contact details and explaining I had an agreement in place but I'm not sure what else to do ( apart from a small cry!!!)
    Tags: None

Re: Overpayment of salary passed to debt collector?

I think this would be better addressed to the debt board, as it is no longer an employment matter or anything to do with employment. The debt may have arisen from a former employment, but in legal terms, once the debt is acknowledged then it becomes a matter of civil debt - nothing to do with employment. Others are better placed than I am to advise you on what the debt company can and can't do once a debt is sold on to them.

Comment

Yes I agree, but i would want to see some form of authorization from the LA stating that the debt has been assigned to a third party before I paid them any money.

Comment

Originally posted by gravytrain View Post
        Yes I agree, but i would want to see some form of authorization from the LA stating that the debt has been assigned to a third party before I paid them any money.
        Fair point surely.

Comment

Defo, As a result of advice on debt thread I have contacted the chief exec of the LA. fingers crossed!

Comment

You agreed a repayment schedule with your employer.
            You have kept to it.

The question they now need to answer is how this has come to be passed to a DCA.

Comment

Not a great start. I got through and was told no one would be in until 9, and she couldn't take a message, then she hung up.

Enquirer- I suspect they may have sent correspondence to my old address- it's the only thing that would make some sense. I have kept a copy of me informing them of the change...

Comment

I am sorry but I have to say that if you (a) expect to get put through to the Chief Executive of the local authority before 9am, or, in fact (b) put through to the Chief Executive of the local authority at all, then I wouldn't recommend holding your breath. And telephone calls can't be evidenced either. An e-mail or recorded delivery letter is far more effective and is evidence that you have done it.

But whilst this isn't my area of expertise, I can suggest that other scenarios, including that fact that they took your offer to increase payments for granted that that was what you were going to do and you have therefore been listed as being in default.

Comment

Hi, it was the accounts depts I was trying to get through to. It's states on web they open at 8.

Comment

For the cannon fodder maybe! But even if more senior people are in, they often don't take calls until 9 am. Having spent many delightful decades needing to contact people in local authorities, it's pretty rare to be able to conduct any business with anyone before 9am.

Comment

Hi all, thank goodness it is all now sorted! DCA contacted teh LA after they sent the letter in error - they had only been actioned to locate my address as the LA had lost it! All is well - thanks so much for your calming words - and especially to Leclerc - I think the email really help get things sorted ASAP! Perhaps some sleep tonight!!

Comment

Given the upset caused by the DCA, the LA should now cancel any remaining debt.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                          Given the upset caused by the DCA, the LA should now cancel any remaining debt.
                          Hah - debt might not be my area of law, but good luck getting that! A couple of years ago I had a delightful discussion with my local authority (mostly via the local newspaper) about the "man in the wardrobe" - as in they sent me (and hundreds of others, if not thousands) threatening letters about the fact that I was fraudulently claiming single persons discount and they had proof that this was the case, so I had the choice to pay up or go to court. I diligently searched my house from top to bottom for this other person living there, then politely rang them to say that I couldn't find this person, so I would like to see the proof. Which they the said they didn't actually have, but Experian did I and I could pay £10 for it. I asked to speak to the Director of finance to be told that he didn't have a phone (yes, seriously!). So I went to the local paper. It looked excellent on the front page. Tragically widowed professional person hounded by bully boy Council; hundreds of little old ladies (and gentlemen) threatened without proof. What had happened - the Council had provided Experian with the wrong information and search parameters, and actually had a list of people proveably entitled to the single persons discount! Did they let us off council tax for this? Not even an personal apology. We all got a Dear Sir or Madam, ooops ... letter!

Comment

!!!! My word - that's awful!!!

Yeah I aint even thinking about that - just finish my business with them and that will be that.

Comment

Originally posted by Wile.e View Post
                              !!!! My word - that's awful!!!

Yeah I aint even thinking about that - just finish my business with them and that will be that.
                              Oh, don't worry about it. I was very concerned about what this might do to vulnerable people, but from my own personal point of view, it was entertainment! I was sooooo disappointed they didn't take me to court!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X