• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

New Bailiff Laws

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Bailiff Laws

''Bailiffs' behaviour to be controlled by new laws........''

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21191318
    Tags: None

Re: New Bailiff Laws

Bailiffs' behaviour to be controlled by new laws

Helen Grant: "We are saying bailiffs are not going to be allowed to use force"

Continue reading the main storyRelated Stories

Laws to tackle aggressive bailiffs will be introduced next year in England and Wales, the government has announced.
    Bailiffs will be banned from entering homes at night or where only children are present, and new safeguards will prevent them from using force against people who owe money.
    They will also no longer have free rein to fix their own fees, because set fee scales will be brought in.
    Justice Minister Helen Grant said the crackdown was badly needed.
    Bad nameThe bailiff industry is fragmented and partly unregulated, and there have been concerns from householders and businesses about heavy handed tactics employed to recover debts, says BBC legal correspondent Clive Coleman.
    Mrs Grant said a small minority of bailiffs had been able to give the industry a bad name.
    Continue reading the main story“Start Quote

It is being reported to us from MPs and other organisations that there is bad practice, and we need to deal with it”
    Helen GrantJustice Minister

She also said the fees charged were sometimes "extortionate".
    Following a Ministry of Justice consultation last year, the government will legislate next year to introduce new measures to combat the problem.
    Mandatory training and a new certification process for bailiffs will be introduced.
    Rent arrearsThere will be a set of simple rules detailing when a bailiff can enter a property, what they can take and a fee structure to end excessive and multiple charges.
    Landlords will be banned from using bailiffs to seize property for rent arrears, without going to court.
    Mrs Grant said: "Bailiffs will not be able to use force against the person and they will not be able to enter any homes with just children there.
    "There are some very good bailiffs around, don't get me wrong - but it is being reported to us from MPs and other organisations that there is bad practice, and we need to deal with it."
    Companies, councils and courts all use bailiffs to collect money owed to them.

They intimidate and they bully, and they overcharge”
    Sian MeredithCampaigner

Sian Meredith, a victim of bad behaviour from bailiffs and a campaigner, said the legislation was long overdue and "very badly needed".
    Recounting her own experience, she said: "I purchased a property and it was the debt of the previous owner who had left two years previously. It was a very old debt.
    "They were threatening to clamp and remove vehicles and I was powerless to stop them. It took the involvement of my member of Parliament to stop them.
    "They intimidate and they bully, and they overcharge. Overcharging is one of the main issues.
    "I think the government are only really scratching the surface of this. I mean there's no mention of an independent regulator in what's being proposed... or a proper complaints procedure.
    "I can't see a lot changing, other than the fact that the government are going to enforce the charging structures, which is the main good news about this."

"Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Will this clarify the criminal law and enforcement in regard to police and bailiffs ?

Comment

Originally posted by Celestine View Post
        Bailiffs' behaviour to be controlled by new laws

Helen Grant: "We are saying bailiffs are not going to be allowed to use force"

Continue reading the main storyRelated Stories

Laws to tackle aggressive bailiffs will be introduced next year in England and Wales, the government has announced.
        Bailiffs will be banned from entering homes at night or where only children are present They can't currently!, and new safeguards will prevent them from using force against people who owe money They're not allowed to now!
        They will also no longer have free rein to fix their own fees, because set fee scales will be brought in They haven't now - possibly in a VERY limited way for one thing.
        Justice Minister Helen Grant said the crackdown was badly needed.
        Bad nameThe bailiff industry is fragmented and partly unregulated, and there have been concerns from householders and businesses about heavy handed tactics employed to recover debts, says BBC legal correspondent Clive Coleman.
        Mrs Grant said a small minority of bailiffs had been able to give the industry a bad name.

Why do I get the feeling from the above that this is going to almost no different - surprise, surprise. If those are the main headlines from the changes, heaven help us!

How many millions has it cost to come up with this? Remember the huge consultation etc.....?

The last sentence in the post above says it all.

Why not just come to LB and ask us - they'd see what is really needed then.

Comment

As I've said elsewhere there are no meat on the bones and until there is a lot of all this is just speculation. Are they frightened to list the charges or are they going along with those listed in the consultation which by the time this comes into effect will be out of date by 5 years any way. Another half cocked idea from a government that is so out of touch with reality.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
            Why not just come to LB and ask us - they'd see what is really needed then.
            To be fair they asked everybody - that's what the consultation (attached) was for.
            Attached Files

Comment

Am I correct that the new laws will allow HCEO's to collect CCA debts?

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                To be fair they asked everybody - that's what the consultation (attached) was for.
                I know lol! did say, "How many millions has it cost to come up with this? Remember the huge consultation etc.....?"

Comment

Nothing will come of it. Just more vapouring for the voters.

Comment

Originally posted by gravytrain View Post
                    Am I correct that the new laws will allow HCEO's to collect CCA debts?
                    Incorrect information in post - apologies. Double checking then will repost.
                    Last edited by labman; 26th January 2013, 01:57:AM.

Comment

Am I the only one who finds it highly disappointing only one MP responded to this consultation? I fail to believe that this was not raised with a significant number of MP's, yet only one responded.

When one bears in mind that I know of about 10 people who provided individual responses from LB, approximately 4% of responses were from this site alone. That is a high figure compared to an overall disappointing response, and LB members should be thanked for taking the time to submit responses.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X