• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Removal of price tag

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Removal of price tag

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
    Can't say I have! Any idea where to find them?
    Click 'Legal Beagles' at top of page to take you to Home Page. Half way down on right - can't miss it!

Comment

Originally posted by BigBertha View Post
      Thanks PlanB, things like this seem to be rife. I really hope something is done about it very soon. Thanks for the links.
      Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse I discover that *Retail Loss Prevention* is in fact Drydens solicitors which is a firm I have strong negative feelings about since the methods they use for collecting debts and repossessing people then evicting them from their homes are questionable (I speak from personal experience). Look what it says on the RLP website when you click on the "What will happen if I don't pay?" tab

http://www.lossprevention.co.uk/advi...ge.aspx?page=6

It says they may take you to court where you could have to pay their considerable legal costs if they win a claim over £5k - erm, how could thay claim £5k+ if you had diddled (which you didn't) TK Maxx out of £10? And then it says if you don't pay the CCJ they'll get a Charging Order on your house and can apply to the court for an Order for Sale. What a CO for £10? Then (it gets even worse) they say if their claim is over £750 they may serve you with a statutory demand and make you bankrupt instead :fear:

Guess what happens if you click on the link called "What to do if you think you're not liable - defending a claim". You get directed to a page which says "If you need more time to pay". Pay what? You're intending to defend the claim not hand over £137. I couldn't believe my eyes and thought I'd clicked on the wrong thing but I hadn't:

http://www.lossprevention.co.uk/advi...ge.aspx?page=5

No wonder people are frightened into coughing up £137. I'd be inclined to report these guys to the SRA for what I see as a totally misleading website :mad2:

Comment

You now see why Legal Beagles decided to make a real stance against these people.

Comment

If you fancy checking out how much money *Retail Loss Prevention* make out of this practice of picking on possibly innocent and vulnerable people have a look at their accounts filed at Companies House:

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk//wcprodorder?ft=1

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
            You now see why Legal Beagles decided to make a real stance against these people.
            You can count me in. A spot of negative publicity could do the trick :typing:

Comment

What they send people are the same as Private Parking Tickets basically - they're speculative invoices, and should always be challenged. If you delve deeper, you'll find they tend to focus on vulnerable people. Where, as in the case of the price tag, the store has lost no property and I don't believe any offence has been committed, what 'consequential loss' (actual financial loss to the store) can the shop claim. The item was not stolen or anything. The staff would have been employed in any case - they were just doing their job. There was no loss.

Quite how they dream up the figures they do is beyond me, and clearly beyond the understanding of the courts as well.

They've been known to pursue issues such as a baby putting something into a mothers bag without her knowledge, old people unintentionally missing an item, people making an honest mistake on self scan aisles. Basically the entire system is pretty crooked. It's appalling that many of the larger stores routinely use the procedure.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                What they send people are the same as Private Parking Tickets basically - they're speculative invoices, and should always be challenged. If you delve deeper, you'll find they tend to focus on vulnerable people. Where, as in the case of the price tag, the store has lost no property and I don't believe any offence has been committed, what 'consequential loss' (actual financial loss to the store) can the shop claim. The item was not stolen or anything. The staff would have been employed in any case - they were just doing their job. There was no loss.

Quite how they dream up the figures they do is beyond me, and clearly beyond the understanding of the courts as well.

They've been known to pursue issues such as a baby putting something into a mothers bag without her knowledge, old people unintentionally missing an item, people making an honest mistake on self scan aisles. Basically the entire system is pretty crooked. It's appalling that many of the larger stores routinely use the procedure.
                You've got it in one , Labman. All these rackets where a threat of LEGAL COSTS often frightens a victim to pay up a baseless demand.

Comment

The exact same thing just happened to me, but TK Maxx also called the police.
                  I was given a caution, banned for 12 months and told that TK Maxx will be seeking money through RLP for their time.
                  My concern is, will this show in police checks done by employers, and I am meant to be visiting friends in America next year, will this show as a criminal record?
                  Thank you for any advice.

Comment

Bagpuss

I'm not sure about this but someone who is will be along.

I think that unless it was an official "Caution" resulting in a charge it may not be recorded but I'm not sure and those that do know will be here shortly to help you

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                      The exact same thing just happened to me, but TK Maxx also called the police.
                      I was given a caution, banned for 12 months and told that TK Maxx will be seeking money through RLP for their time.
                      My concern is, will this show in police checks done by employers, and I am meant to be visiting friends in America next year, will this show as a criminal record?
                      Thank you for any advice.
                      Was the caution a formal one given by the police ?

(I've asked bluebottle to pop on this thread - sorry MissFM Crossed posts xx)
                      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

''A caution is not a criminal conviction''

https://www.gov.uk/caution-warning-penalty

Comment

Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention, Amethyst.

A formal caution, under the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984, which must be administered by a police officer of the rank of Inspector or above, is recordable for the purposes of a CRB check. As to whether the Fixed Penalty Notices issued for shoplifting are recordable for the purposes of a CRB check will need to be checked with the appropriate authority. The reason I say this is because the offence of Drunk and Disorderly is a non-crime offence and not recordable under PACE.
                          Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                            Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention, Amethyst.

A formal caution, under the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984, which must be administered by a police officer of the rank of Inspector or above, is recordable for the purposes of a CRB check. As to whether the Fixed Penalty Notices issued for shoplifting are recordable for the purposes of a CRB check will need to be checked with the appropriate authority. The reason I say this is because the offence of Drunk and Disorderly is a non-crime offence and not recordable under PACE.
                            sho what doesh thish mean for Bag pussh?

Comment

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
                              sho what doesh thish mean for Bag pussh?
                              It will depend on whether Bagpuss went to the police station. If the caution was administered at a police station by an Inspector, then the answer is "Yes". If it was what is commonly-known as a Street Caution, then Bagpuss needs to make enquiries as to whether it would, as the ConDem government is currently playing silly buggers with the Criminal Justice system.
                              Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                                It will depend on whether Bagpuss went to the police station. If the caution was administered at a police station by an Inspector, then the answer is "Yes". If it was what is commonly-known as a Street Caution, then Bagpuss needs to make enquiries as to whether it would, as the ConDem government is currently playing silly buggers with the Criminal Justice system.
                                No. The original sticker price was £60 more than the price the assistant charged me.
                                The security guards kept saying that they had me on CCTV taking the sticker off, and what I'd done was obtaining goods through deception and it was fraud.
                                I apologized profusely and offered to pay the difference, but they wouldn't accept that and called the police.
                                I was with a friend and they dragged him in too, saying that he had to know that I took the price sticker off, he didn't, and I told him that but because he was near me, they said he had to know.
                                I'm not excusing what I did, but I never thought what I had done was criminal and had I thought about it I wouldn't have done it. I would never dream of stealing, or switching the price tag.
                                But the way they kept saying that what I had done was fraud and that the assistant would get into a lot of trouble (they also said I had committed fraud against the assistant, not the company), but they accepted that my friend might not have known that I had taken the price off, and that they'd just ban him for 12 months or "unacceptable behavior". They said that when the police arrived I would be cautioned, but nothing would happen to my friend.

Two young police officers arrived, one looked at the CCTV and said that my friend had to have known what I was doing, and that they were charging us both.
                                They didn't arrest us. They took our details and I was taken to the nearest till to be refunded the price I was charged for the item.
                                The head security guard told the policeman that I had been very compliant and apologetic.
                                They read us our rights, but said they wouldn't be arresting us, but would send a report to the procurator fiscal.
                                They said as neither of us have ever been in trouble before, we would most likely get a warning.
                                I'm sorry I'm rambling. I'm just worried that it will show up if employers were to do a criminal check, and that it may stop my friend or I from being able to go to America.
                                I lost my Mum & Sister to cancer 6 months apart, then had cancer myself, and am on medication for anxiety and panic attacks. I am not trying to make excuses, I wasn't thinking properly, I really amn't a bad person. I have also been banned from TK Maxx for 12 months, although I doubt I'd ever go back as I am so ashamed and embarrassed.
                                I should also point out that I am in Scotland.
                                Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
                                Last edited by Bagpuss; 7th January 2014, 22:31:PM. Reason: additional imformation

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X