• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

I Bought a Stolen Car without Knowing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Bought a Stolen Car without Knowing

hi can i get help or advice please
    November 2012 I saw an advert on the Auto Trader website for a car which i thought was perfect, it was for a BMW X6 XDrive 2009 going for £22,000. I was over the moon because i had been looking for a 4X4 vehicle for a long time and this one in particular was right up my budget. I contacted the seller and over the telephone we came to an agreement that the seller would accept £21,500 cash. With that settlement I went ahead and ran a HPI check on the vehicle and it came back clear so I proceeded to make my way were the seller was waiting for me.
    I arrived to the train station and got a cab to the address that the seller had given me
    Drove about a minutes to the house, the seller told me that he was the son of the seller his father got him to meet me last minute.
    I did not see anything strange about that. I proceeded in what I travelled to the location and checked out the car VIN was correct and did a test drive everything looked normal with the vehicle I was very happy with the condition of the car. We went into the house which I assumed was the sellers sons house it looked very normal and lived in. in the kitchen i handed over the cash and the sellers son handed me the paper work for the car included the MOT/service history book and car v5c documents and the Manuel book for the car. I left the area very happy with my car.

a week later i sent the log book to DVLA to register as the new owner of the car about 2 weeks later I received a letter from the metropolitan police informing me that they have received a letter from the DVLA for a new keeper but they need to come.

On the 09/01/12 the police investigators came to my property to run checks on the car and they informed me that the car was actually a clone it had been stolen and made to look legit the number plate had been changed and so was the VIN So the car has been taken away by the police I and my pregnant girlfriend are £21,500 out of pocket we are expecting our first child. Now I don’t know what to do any advice
    Tags: None

Re: I Bought a Stolen Car without Knowing

I lost the car and money, and now my partner she is about to leave me for making a silly mistake. Because that money we wanted to get a mortgage by the end of this year but I convinced her that we should get a car and sale it by September and it turned out that the car was cloned so please if you don’t have a good advice or point me to the right direction please don’t comment. But the police did tell that I can speak to the insurance that own the car to buy it of them but I’m thinking that they might say they want £25000 or the same amount I have spent already.

Comment

What level of Hpi check did you have done?

Normally the insurance company would sell it to you for a vastly reduced price if they have paid out on it already, but they won't give it away.

Comment

Check whether your motor insurance policy includes Legal Expenses Cover since most do. If so call them up for advice. You need to check if you're entitled to legal ownership of the car - never mind what the police are telling you because they're only interested in catching the criminal. This is known as *good title* in law which only a court can decide but read about the potential for this here:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/..._is_stolen.htm
        Last edited by PlanB; 20th January 2013, 10:33:AM. Reason: poor grammar :(

Comment

Hmmm---I dont feel able to comment--but I followed your links to MSE with identical opening post

74 posts and a predominant theme about Trolls--why is this?

Comment

A couple in Manchester faced exactly this situation in July this year and ended up having to foot a £1165 legal bill, even though they defended themselves. The judge was sympathetic, but said he had to apply the law. Seek legal advice before committing to anything:

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven...t-to-be-stolen

Comment

Originally posted by Turboman View Post
              Hmmm---I dont feel able to comment--but I followed your links to MSE with identical opening post

To be fair to the OP, I've just read all 74 posts and yes, there is mention of him being a troll. He also posted on Pistonheads one minute before posting on MSE and did not come back. On MSE he came back to defend himself, and he was given a very rough ride.

Perhaps we should let the OP act on the advice given so far - there's plenty to go on, and wait for him to come back and post. That way, he can say what he's done if he's not a troll and we can help further. Professional advice seems the way forward more than internet forums though.

Comment

sorry to be stupid but what's a troll please?

Comment

It's Ok I've googled it.

Comment

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
                    sorry to be stupid but what's a troll please?
                    Well, once upon a time there were three billy goats gruff ...........:tung:

(Methinks she's going to slap me!)

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                      Well, once upon a time there were three billy goats gruff ...........:tung:

(Methinks she's going to slap me!)
                      ummhmm!:nod:

Comment

Originally posted by Turboman View Post

Quite right to raise this, though.

Comment

I always post on the assumption that it'll be read by people other than the OP so it doesn't matter to me whether the poster is a Troll or Lewis Hamilton (unlikely in this case) because it's not uncommon to buy a stolen car and hopefully others will find all this information helpful too.

I should add that free Legal Expenses Cover is often included as standard in household policies (buildings and contents) and not just motor policies but it's buried in the small print and people often don't notice it. If the OP has a strong legal case the insurer will pass him on to a panel solicitor on a No Win No Fee basis so they shouldn't have to pay any legal costs if this proceeds to court on their advice. Double check this before committing though!

Malichi if your partner leaves you for unwittingly buying a stolen car then maybe you're better off without her because it was as she described just a "silly mistake" not something done deliberately to wreck your relationship. I'm sure she'll see that eventually
                          Last edited by PlanB; 20th January 2013, 11:18:AM. Reason: typo

Comment

I have just read the thread on MSE, some odd reactions to this post it has to be said.

I think that the OP would have a problem proving good title if the car was stolen, usually this is acquired by the buyer if the car is sold whilst under a HP agreement i believe(HP act 1965/CCA 1974).

As said he needs to seek legal advice

Comment

Originally posted by gravytrain View Post
                              I have just read the thread on MSE, some odd reactions to this post it has to be said.

I think that the OP would have a problem proving good title if the car was stolen, usually this is acquired by the buyer if the car is sold whilst under a HP agreement i believe(HP act 1965/CCA 1974).

As said he needs to seek legal advice
                              Indeed some odd comments Gravytrain, that's why I posted what I did. It's not your normal trolling thread by any means, though Turbo was absolutely right to alert us to it - thanks Trubs!!!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X