• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bought 2nd hand car from dealer, has faults, they won't refund - help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought 2nd hand car from dealer, has faults, they won't refund - help!

Where do I stand?
    i bought a 2nd hand car from a reputable dealer and upon driving it from the dealership (having been told there was a third of a tank of fuel) the fuel light came on (50 miles left in the tank) although the gauge said I had between quarter and half a tank left, obviously a fault. When we drove it back to the dealership we noticed a major whine when it was in 1st gear, obviously not right. They told us they would have to book it in for them to look at it but we told them we'd only driven it a matter of a few miles and only had it less than an hour! They looked at it there and then but couldn't see what the fault was so told us they would ring in the morning to book us in. We reluctantly had to bring the car home with us. The next day, first thing, we had a friend who is in the trade give it the once over and they said the 1st gear was definitely not right. Also the fuel gauge probably needed a new sender unit, so was obviously faulty.
    We called the dealership and told them we were not accepting the car with its obvious faults and wanted to cancel the deal, take our p-x'd car back and have a refund. We took the car back and they reluctantly lent us a courtesy car telling us they would have to assess the car, fair enough.
    They have had it since Saturday and we had to call them late on Monday to see what was happening, they said they could find no fault. They said one of their guys was taking it home with them, a longer drive, to see if they could find anything wrong with it.
    We've waited all day to be called around 6pm to say the fuel gauge has reset itself, something to do with the calibration?!? And that they are bringing a car from another garage, like for like, to see if its the same in 1st gear as this one, they will call us tomorrow.
    Sorry it's long-winded but, I am concerned they have kept it for this long as they are affecting a repair or something (even though we did put it in writing that they were only to assess the car and not to carry out any repairs).
    i now don't want to drive the car when it has potentially got a gearbox problem and fuel notification problem.
    As this is taking so long to resolve and we strongly believe it is faulty, do I have rights under the SOGA to demand a refund and my old car back as the car I bought clearly has faults and is not fit for purpose? How do I go about getting this situation resolved?
    Greatly appreciate any help you can offer, thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Bought 2nd hand car from dealer, has faults, they won't refund - help!

Have a look at this:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/business-advic...e/forcustomers

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X