• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Tenant access to utility meters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tenant access to utility meters

When I say the same boat - I do recognise that you know a hell of a lot more what you're talking about than I do!:_thedoctor__by_GuyF

Also - whilst an old biddy I don't yet have the bus pass:wink:

fun aren't they these smilies??? x

Comment

Thank you for all your responses. Landlord is a social landlord and has no intention of causing tenants any problems, the cellar area where the meters are is deemed an unsafe area for tenants to enter (H&S risk assessments etc). The key therefore is held by the landlords office and HA staff read the meters every quarter, if they remember, and give these readings to tenants to pass on to service suppliers. Every so often a meter reader arrives at my door but generally they won't go to the landlords office as it means they have to make a return appointment to suit the HA staff who will have to accompany them to the meter reading. This means I have to pay more for my gas and electricity which I can't afford and find extremely irritating as I am always paying estimates rather than actual consumption. I just wondered what the legal position is. If this were a private landlord I would be extremely suspicious of motivation so I assume there must be some consumer legislation that precludes it, otherwise dodgy landlords would be installing no access meters and effectively setting their own rates for services.

Comment

Originally posted by lifeinthepastlane View Post
        The key therefore is held by the landlords office and HA staff read the meters every quarter, if they remember, and give these readings to tenants to pass on to service suppliers. . . . This means I have to pay more for my gas and electricity which I can't afford and find extremely irritating as I am always paying estimates rather than actual consumption.
        Maybe ask the HA to let you know when the next (and subsequent) visit to take meter readings will take place so you can be there and make a note of the reading and/or take a digital photo on your mobile if you've got one as proof. You can then provide this information direct to your utility supplier who will give you an accurate bill. I'm not aware of any consumer legislation which would be relevant to your situation, but I find the best way to get competitive quotes for gas and electricity is from comparison websites.

Comment

Thank you for your suggestion. I have found he best rate obtainable is by sending a monthly reading to my service supplier. This is what has occasioned my query.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X