• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Doorstep collection people

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doorstep collection people

Hello All

I am sorry if this is a post relating to something somewhere in the forum that is already going on, but i can't seem to find anything.

What rights do doorstep agents have for credit debts that are not council tax or power suppliers?

Plus if i am going into a dmp (with cccs advice) will this help?

Thank You for any advice

L
    Tags: None

Re: Doorstep collection people

They have no rights at all. Ask them if they enjoyed their trip out as you close the door. If they knock again remind them they are trespassing and you will call the Police to have them removed.

Comment

I love this bit

Ask them if they enjoyed their trip out as you close the door

Comment

Originally posted by louisb1304 View Post
        Hello All

I am sorry if this is a post relating to something somewhere in the forum that is already going on, but i can't seem to find anything.

What rights do doorstep agents have for credit debts that are not council tax or power suppliers?
        They have no more rights than your neighbour's dog! Regardless of the nature of the debt, doorstep agents have no powers and you don't have to speak to them or give them the time of day.

When you refer to Council Tax you must be thinking about bailiffs, often appointed by councils to recover Council Tax. There's no obligation to let them in either but they have more authority. Doorstep agents shouldn't be mistaken for bailiffs.

Most threats of home visits are just threats, it's a lot cheaper to send threatening letters than field agents to people's homes.

Comment

And if after telling them that they are trespassing and to get off your land, they continue hammering on the door, with the intent that their behaviour shall prevent you from going about your business ... they are guilty of Aggravated Trespass.

Comment

You could send a letter to the along these lines to the DCA threatening a home visit, you could also keep a printed copy just in case someone turned up:
            Dear Sirs

Account or reference: xyz

I will only communicate with you in writing, and should it be your intention to arrange a doorstep visit, please be advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make such an appointment with you.

There is an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v Sheppard & Short Ltd [1959] 2 QB 384. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and, if you do so, you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken, including but not limited to, police attendance.

Yours faithfully

Comment

If they become a nuisance, squirt water through your letterbox to soak the front of their trousers. :rofl:

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
                And if after telling them that they are trespassing and to get off your land, they continue hammering on the door, with the intent that their behaviour shall prevent you from going about your business ... they are guilty of Aggravated Trespass.
                Possibly not. Aggravated Trespass was brought in, primarily, to deal with fox hunt saboteurs. A more appropriate charge and more effective way of dealing with debt collectors who do this would be Causing Intentional Alarm, Distress or Harassment (Public Order Act 1986) or Breach of the Peace (Common Law).
                Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

If he's a Doorstep Collector you should report him for attempting to remove your doorstep.

Comment

Come to that, why might their doorstep be collectible?

Comment

IT might be an antique doorstep dont you read antique doorstep collectors monthly out every 2nd thursday of the month

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
                        If he's a Doorstep Collector you should report him for attempting to remove your doorstep.
                        What strange hobbies some people have.
                        Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Keeps you fit you seen how heay some of those doorsteps are like goldfish they need cleaning out so often

serious back to thread the threat of a knock on the door from a collector is upsetting to some the rules should be made clear by the DCA same as what bailifs can do and charge should be documented on first visit or first letter

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                            Keeps you fit you seen how heay some of those doorsteps are like goldfish they need cleaning out so often

serious back to thread the threat of a knock on the door from a collector is upsetting to some the rules should be made clear by the DCA same as what bailifs can do and charge should be documented on first visit or first letter
                            There would be little point in sending doorstep collection threats if they spelled out what the doorstep collectors can actually do, which is pretty much nothing, other than ringing your bell and/or knocking on your door! :dance:

Comment

Im saying that what collectors DCAs and bailiffs can do should be in writing after all what a bank an do when you take out a loan HAS to be in writing for all to read.as you say other than ringing thebell/knocking on the door)if thats what they can only do it sould be clear its like the bailiffs threat to (take your kids away) its a fear tactic and should not be alkowed

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X