• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hi everyone! (I'm a newbie)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi everyone! (I'm a newbie)

Hi to everyone!

I came across this site while searching for information that I'm helping someone with. I think it's absolutely fantastic!

I'm currently researching a company called Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Limited, and while I was Googling for information about it's only identifiable individual director, John-Paul Nowacki, your site came up with his name in connection with another of his companies, Webb Resolutions.

The person I am helping has just lost her father. As the only executor able and willing to administer his estate, she is about to apply for probate and has started contacting various utilities companies and other organisations. The other executor, her brother, became ill through all the stress of the bereavement and is now in a mental unit for his own safety after attempting suicide. It's a very sad situation.

Her father took out an equity release mortgage for £30,000 in 2004 with Legal & General, which was later transferred to Northern Rock. Northern Rock then transferred it to Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Limited in 2008. Interest has been accruing at 6.9% and the statement from Papilio in June 2012 said that the amount owing had grown to nearly £54,500. The family intend to sell the house when probate is granted, but this could take months or even a year or more.

Before we notify Papilio about the death, we thought it would be wise to research who we are dealing with. There is very little information on them, but through researching the available business information, it seems that Papilio has yet to produce accounts (due in March 2013). There is no mention of it being a subsidiary of JP Morgan, as one or two newspaper articles seem to suggest. The company stationery looks like it's been printed on a home printer. John-Paul Nowacki himself has 85 directorships, many of which have no assets or are connected with financial companies that have gone into liquidation. However, some others have many millions of pounds. Since the gentleman who took out the loan has passed away, we are about to tell Papilio about this and ask if they would be prepared to freeze the interest on the loan until the loan can be repaid. What concerns us is, if your thread on Webb Resolutions is anything to go by, that Papilio might not just refuse the request to freeze the interest, but might then respond with excuses to levy all kinds of charges.

If any of you have any information at all on Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Limited, or on John-Paul Nowacki, or anything else that might help us with this situation, we would be very grateful indeed!
    Tags: None

Re: Hi everyone! (I'm a newbie)

I have just found your post, whilst I see it's from quite a while ago I would be interested to know how you got on.

I am in a very similar situation to your friend. My mum died in Jan 2014 and also had released equity originally with Northern Rock which has passed on to Papilio. She also had other considerable debts and left no will. My sister also has mental health problems so due to the complexity of the situation we have signed a deed of renunciation and washed our hands of it. We sent the keys to the house to Papilio back in Feb and have told them they will have to administer the estate. So far we have heard nothing, there is no sign of the house having gone on the market. We are still legally beneficiaries should there be anything left but that is unlikely and I am not interested from that perspective. My concern is the funeral directors who were instructed on the basis that they would claim the fees out of the estate. They are legally the first to be paid after the charge on the house which is approximately 50% of the value. They were happy with this arrangement however they called me last week to say they were getting nowhere with Papilio.

I wonder if you could let me know how your friend's situation panned out? Frankly I could use some positive news as this is worrying me a lot.

Thanks.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X