• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Disabled People

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disabled People

This brought an unanticipated beam of light to my Christmas tonight, from not the most obvious of sources - The Jonathan Ross Show. He was interviewing the now famous paralympian, Ellie Simmonds. During his chat with her he used a term I'd never come across before - 'Differently Abled.'

How much better is that phrase than the word disabled?

To all my friends, able bodied and differently abled, Happy Christmas! :santa_cheesy::santa_smiley::santa_cheesy:
    Tags: None

Re: Disabled People

Differentley abled could apply to most people in a sense that some can run faster than others some are more intelligent ecetera ecetera there is are no doubt better words to call a disabled person any one got any interesting ideas?

Comment

I liked the phrase for exactly that reason. The assumption is they are 'able' just differently so. Disabled when used in the context of people can prejudice very easily. There may be better phrases, but I liked 'differently abled.'

Comment

Gifted.
        Talented.
        Advantaged.

etc., etc...

To me, the word doesn't have to be preceded by "Specially" - because we are all "Special" in our own ways and in our own rights. We each bring our gifts - and our problems. If all is well, we help each other with our problems, by using our gifts. The term "Special" doesn't need to be mentioned. It should be just "Normal," I reckon.

Comment

I am 'Uniquely Abled'..........especially in my ability to crashland and give the cupboard door a Glasgow kiss and have a huge ouchie in my head

Comment

Well......THAT's my argument trashed - THANK YEW !!!

I'm sure YOU'RE OK., Foggy - but how's the poor door ? :doh:

Comment

Originally posted by Bill-K View Post
              Well......THAT's my argument trashed - THANK YEW !!!

I'm sure YOU'RE OK., Foggy - but how's the poor door ? :doh:
              You mean after I slammed it,opened it,slammed it again,,called it every mofo of a effing beeing and every other swear word Bill? It survived msl:,,I gotta bruise on ma heed

Comment

Having a deaf nephew, a nephew with Epilepsy, a neice with Cerebral Palsy, a son with dyspraxia and a profoundly deaf and mute neice (no she's not dumb, that means stupidity.. Caity is mute) I like the term Other Abilities.

Sam is deaf, but you wanna see the kid paint (maybe rembrandt's aunt felt this way)
                William has epilepsy but he is going to be an actor (he told me)
                Sophie has severe cerebral palsy, but I defy you to hear her laugh, and see her smile and not have your heart melt!
                Caitlyn is deaf and mute, and an extremely talented flute player (proud aunty bit here people, forgive me!)

To my mind there is honestly no such thing as a disabled person, just someone who needs a bit of help in their daily lives.. and if you think on it.. Dont we all occasionally?

Comment

Differently-abled is a term I have never heard before, but it is a term that I would find universally-acceptable.

Over the 35 years I have worked with those who have sensory and physical problems, I have learned to see and treat the person as a human being who happens to have an impairment of some sort. You treat them as a human being. A lot of them are very gifted and talent in some way or another. Never write them off. A lot of them are highly-intelligent people. Take Stephen Hawking, who has Motor Neurone Disease, for example. A brilliant mind.
                  Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Most intelligent thing I have ever heard came from Warwick Davis.

Just because I cannot do the same things you can, doesnt mean I cant do something else better.

Comment

Being partially deaf myself, and the proud owner of two hearing aids, that sit in my handbag because I can't get used to them :santa_cheesy: I prefer to think of myself not as disabled, disadvantaged or any other description, I prefer to think of myself as lucky because when someone is going on about something I'm not interested in and they are boring the arse off me I can say sorry... pardon or even if I'm feeling completely bloody minded just totally ignore it and make out I just havn't heard msl:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X