• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Blemain fined by FSA for UNFAIR PRACTICES " at last" £1.225 million

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blemain fined by FSA for UNFAIR PRACTICES " at last" £1.225 million

Cheshire Mortgage Corporation and their Chief executive moser Fined £1.225 million Which is part of the BLEMAIN Group reported today 10/121/2012
    The FSA said about 2000 affected customers of CMC could now receive compensation
    The regulator said that Cheshire Mortgage Corporation failed to treat some of its customers fairly when they fell into arrears, was unable to always show the mortgages it sold were affordable, and did not always communicate reguarly or fully with its customers

its investigation found that CMCL overcharged some customers in arrears and applied arrears charges inconsistently and unfairly
    The FSA said they had charged customers £150 when they transferred arrears into its Recoveries company, dispite it being in-house
    Tracy McDermott, director of enforcement and financial crime at the FSA said "CMCL@s lackluster approach to regulation combined with very poor practices in collecting arrears, meant that some customers already worried about being able to pay back their mortgages were put under undue pressure and sometimes ended up paying more than they should.
    The failings of chief executive Moser ,and director Lawton and CMCL were serious and let down a vulnerable group of consumers"

HO HO HO Merry Christmas

The FSA has fined mortgage lender Cheshire Mortgage Corporation Limited £1.2m for failing to treat customers fairly and fined its chief executive and compliance director.

The regulator says Cheshire failed to treat its customers fairly in the sale of mortgages and in arrears handling from October 2004 to the end of 2009.
    Related articles

Govt donates £1m from FSA fines to military charity
    Adviser anger as Capita FM escapes £4m FSA fine over Arch cru
    Mortgage broker overturns £100,000 FSA fine for fraud
    Govt will be able to force FCA to raise industry fees

Cheshire chief executive Henry Moser has been fined £70,000 and agreed to step down from his role within six months.

Compliance director Andrew Lawton has been fined £13,500 and banned from holding a significant influence function.

The FSA also requires Cheshire to carry out a redress exercise that could see approximately £2m paid to around 2,000 affected customers.

FSA director of enforcement and financial crime Tracey McDermott says: “CMCL’s lacklustre approach to regulation, combined with very poor practices in collecting arrears, meant that some customers already worried about being able to pay back their mortgages were put under undue pressure and sometimes ended up paying more than they should.”

In a statement, Cheshire says: “Such issues pre-date a comprehensive review of the firm’s procedures and corporate governance standards.

“We sincerely apologise to any customers that may have been affected.”

Perception Finance managing director David Sheppard says: “This will not be the last of this type of story. A lot of other firms will be looking over their shoulder, especially if they targeted the sub-prime market.”
    Last edited by Amethyst; 20th January 2014, 08:33:AM.
    Tags: None

Re: Blemain fined by FSA for UNFAIR PRACTICES " at last" £1.225 million

That is fabulous news x

Comment

Originally posted by TUTTSI View Post
      That is fabulous news x
      Absolutely TUTTSI..............BUT they are angels compared to Swift Advances PLC ...... wish the OFT had a simialr set of BALLS.

Sparkie

Comment

Fantastic news let's see if this includes lancashire mortgages as well?

Comment

I just thought i would add that the investigation & FSA action relates to pre 2010 as new rules were brought in. to ensure vulnerable customers in arrears were properly protected to include;
          Customers in arrears must be treated fairly by firms and the following key areas have been confirmed;
          • Firms must not apply a monthly arrears charge where an agreement is already in place to repay the arrears;
          • Payments by customers in financial difficulties must first be allocated to clearing the missed monthly payments, rather than to arrears charges, which can be repaid later; and
          • Firms must consider all options for borrowers. Repossessions should always be the last resort.

A new rule has also been introduced requiring firms to record all arrears handling telephone calls and to keep the records for three years.

So the FSA should investigate the rest of Blemain especially Lancashire Mortgage Corporation because i have proof they are not keeping to the "new" rules as i took my loan out in 2010 they are not even keeping to the old rules! in fact i don't think they know what rules are

Comment

Magnificent news!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Reading this again explains why Blemain changed the name of its in-house receivers sterling and waterfold and moved them down the road to disguise the fact that they are "in-house" and have the same directors.

A LEOPARD DOES NOT CHANGE ITS SPOTS!

Comment

Fab news

Comment

My mortgage with these parasites was taken out in 2005-I am looking into their actions-and i will keep you informed.

Comment

Look here for a in depth report http://www.fsa.gov.uk/static/pubs/final/henry-moser.pdf it may throw some light on to claims against Blemain's group

Comment

i just thought i would add this
                      Taken from the fsa website / it doesn’t say a lot but it does say they are & have been watching them.
                      The fsa say they do not take up individual complaints and I was told they look into complaints when the complaints about a company reach a certain level
                      So if you are not happy complain, do not leave it to others or the “others” may be leaving it to you!
                      Complain here its easy
                      http://www.fsa.gov.uk/consumerinform...nsumer_contact

From FSA website
                      Blemain Finance Limited
                      In October 2006, we obtained an undertaking from Blemain Finance Limited under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. The undertaking related to how the firm calculated the level of its early repayment charge (ERC). In September 2010 the undertaking was withdrawn from our website to reflect our updated view that the ERC levied by the firm formed part of the price the borrower pays in exchange for the service of being provided with a mortgage which operates at a fixed/discounted rate of interest for a period of time. Our updated view is that it is unlikely that the level of such charges can be assessed for fairness under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.
                      September 2010

Comment

It is also worth reporting them to Data Protection there website is www.ico.gov.uk

Comment

I just thought i would add this here although not directly naming blemain the fsa published its final guidance on incentive schemes run by lenders giving concerns over mis-selling of loans.
                          I wonder how much business blemain would do if they did'nt offer such high commissions and incentives to brokers.
                          the updated version was released on 16th Jan 2013 and can be found here

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/library/communication/pr/2013/004.shtml

Comment

I am pretty sure my loan was mis sold, but the broker norton finance has gone bust so not much I can do about that

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X