• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ebay & Gumtree Vehicle / Car Scam. Barclays provide Fraudsters Accounts

Careful Rod otherwise you'll end up like 'One Eyed Jack' and me, and therein lies the path to madness.

Autotrader UK are certainly putting in more effort against fraudulent adverts but that only appears to be provoking the criminals to greater efforts.

There were 5 hacked dealer accounts tonight. I've spotted 80 odd hacked dealer accounts in 40 days and my thread at SW has had just under 10,000 views in the same period. No one has said that it has helped them to avoid being scammed, but I hope that's why it's getting so many views.

The only effective way to nail this organisation is to take down its network of money laundering accounts which wouldn't be hard to do at this stage. If they're allowed to become assimilated within the banking system heaven help us all. The global market place is all very well until you discover that no one has greater incentive to exploit it than the international crime gangs.

Having seen what the hackers/scammers did last night/through the night and this morning I strongly doubt that AT UK will be able to effectively keep this scam group off their ad site, bearing in mind that I'm only dealing with scams inserted by this one group or group affiliated to this organised criminal gang. The hacks and fraudulent adverts they're able to utilise and post are quite astonishing in their volume and ability to just go straight back and replace what's taken down. Their tactic appears to be to swamp the site with ads, and being able to endlessly post fresh ads and 'sell' at any price they're able to get top ranking over every other seller.

The problem is that I can only see things getting worse.
    Last edited by Boycie; 10th April 2014, 06:26:AM.

Comment

http://ebayblows.org/ebay-motors-phi...onal-accounts/

Comment

What is that website Dixie? Asks for a captcha...
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

It is a rant site about eBay and Paypal, mainly in the US.
          Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

http://ebayblows.org/ebay-motors-phi...onal-accounts/ , there is a captcha so the sites knows its a human typing and not a pc, there is a story from the us with the title eBay Motors Phishing UK Personal Accounts

i found it a good read or maybe people will have the opinion its a rant lol

Comment

Presuming the scammers are hacking into dealers ads and inserting their own vehicles?

Why would anyone go anywhere but the dealers premises to view/purchase the vehicle or what would they do to enable the scammer to take the money?
              Can someone explain how it all works if a link is inserted that takes the potential buyer somewhere else why would anyone fall for it after all would they go onto Tesco .com and buy from a linked website not owned run by Tesco

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                Presuming the scammers are hacking into dealers ads and inserting their own vehicles?

Why would anyone go anywhere but the dealers premises to view/purchase the vehicle or what would they do to enable the scammer to take the money?
                Can someone explain how it all works if a link is inserted that takes the potential buyer somewhere else why would anyone fall for it after all would they go onto Tesco .com and buy from a linked website not owned run by Tesco
                They are hacking into dealer accounts and just slashing the prices of the already listed vehicles - changing the contact number and email address.

Victims contact what they believe to be the dealer and get emails back, saying the vehicle can be delivered and to pay by bank transfer, very basically.

Regarding the linked websites, they are set up to look exactly like ebay or gumtree and the webaddress is usually nondescript - something like ebay.uk@7548532389.co.uk
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks Ame hard to believe people would not go to the dealers Premises

Comment

wales, as an example, and I wont leave it up long or use their images for copyright purposes but just know it could be made to look and feel exactly the same in around 10 minutes.

Compare these two Tesco sites and tell me when you spot the scam, they are safe to click any links and the only fake link only directs here. It is blatantly obvious you are directed somewhere else in this example but what if it directed you to a kosher looking site.

http://www.tesco.com/# is the real site with all images in etc

and *now removed* is obviously the fake one from the url but that could easil be set up to read www.tesco_.com/# or something not easily spotted and of course as mentioned above the images have been removed but all the buttons/links work
                    Last edited by Tools; 15th April 2014, 21:18:PM.
                    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

p.s Kate, don't show Joe how easy it is lol.

Comment

The thing to note is that you're dealing with people selling second hand vehicles, so buyers had better behave as if they're swimming in shark infested waters because the scams I post at SW are only the ones that I can hold up as frauds without fear of being challenged. Considering that they total between 100 and 200 daily you can imagine how large that figure would be if I posted them all. Aside from spotting the ones with the usual giveaway signs I also investigate vehicles for sale at suspiciously low prices and yesterday I discovered that one dealer with a vague company name was better known as an incorporated car salvage company. Of course I can't make any accusation and I have no evidence, and it could be all above board, but offering very cheap cars alongside a car breaker business would be enough to put me off buying from them.

Of course this criminal organisation aren't looking to sell to everyone, or they'd be selling hundreds of cars a week but, much like the West African 419 scammer, he's using a 'shotgun' approach intending to hook just a few victims, and that will make them very rich very quickly - 3 x £4,000 x 365 is the turnover of a medium sized UK company and they aren't paying tax, his outlay is small and he can pay below minimum wage.

I deal with just one website. When you add in all the rest, in all the countries around the globe, this is a global operation of a corporate size, certainly if they make wider use of their established money laundering system. I recall in my previous career how disparaging we were about banking systems in countries like Nigeria, but Nigerian fraudsters come to the UK nowadays specifically because our banking procedures have become so lax. A victim of what I believe is a romance scam has contacted me at SW about a fraud performed against her and the police have no interest whatsoever. I can understand why, but for a fraudster, with a banking system open to all-comers, there is no better tool with which to perform fraud than a UK bank account.

With a little tuition even a half-wit can perform mortgage fraud and and they will go on to bigger and better things, and banks themselves will learn the risks of providing sanctuary to the accounts of fraudsters.

I still can't get over the new service HM Land Registry are offering to alert home owners if someone places a charge over your property. As any such charge would be worthless and unenforceable its only purpose is to protect slapdash and lax lenders. Personally I'd rather blow a raspberry at anyone trying to rely on a forged document as security.

Comment

Can anyone offer any help on this please. As advised in a previous post our claim against Barclays wast turned down by the ombudsman, however they advised we should consider directing our claim against the bank the money was transferred from as the account that the money was paid into was not in the name we had specified ( this was confirmed by the police.)They advised that under The payment service regulation 2009 the bank must inform their customers what they use as the unique identifier. The bank have not been able to do this and I can not see where this is mentioned in the terms and conditions of the account. Has anyone come across this before? The bank are now trying to say that we are out of time with our claim however I had not heard of this until mentioned by the ombudsman. We had previously advised the bank on many occasions that they had paid the wrong person which they completely ignored. Thanks

Comment

Hi again Puddle,

ALL banks only use sort code + account number as identifiers, just those two, nothing else. The name is only filled out by you to give you an easily identifiable reference when checking your statements to see what payments have been made to who as a "name" is instantly recognised rather than have to tally it in your mind to a "number".

Very few of the "Account Holder" names given in the fake invoices actually tally up to the real account name. The scammers know this which is why a few say "Ebay UK"

There is no cause of action against the bank as they have carried out your instruction to pay £x to the sort code and account number (the identifiers) you gave them.

Comment

Hi Tools. I thought the same but why would the ombudsman suggest we log a claim against the bank. They advise that the bank must advise what they use a unique identifier to their customers which this particular bank has not done. This is set out in The Payment Service Regulation 2009. Thanks

Comment

• Re: motorhome scam & barclays bank

I'm not sure Puddle, are you sure they suggested a "claim" rather than a "complaint" ?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X