Page 1 of 62 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

• Display
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Angry Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

EDIT - For information
    I have been asked to collate information about this scam so a data pattern can be established to see who is involved.

Could anyone who has been affected by this please send a short PM to me Tools HERE with the following details used in the fraud, these are the details used by the fraudster, not your own personal details.

• Bank Name, Sort Code, Account Number and Name of Account holder
    • Ebay/Gumtree listing details, including Make, Model, Price and any links/photos you may have
    • Email addresses used
    • Telephone numbers
    • "Storyline" of where the vehicle is located/suddenly had to move to
    • Have you reported it to the Police/your bank/ebay etc?

Also if anyone spots a suspected LIVE listing, please me or a member of the Team know as soon as is possible.

HERE

It may not be able to help those already affected, but hopefully together we can prevent further victims of this fraud.

Many thanks

LB Team
    Hi,

Can anyone help. I have been well and truely scammed. I saw an advert on gumtree for a vehicle and posted my details. I was contacted by email by someone giving me the vehicle details and asking if i was still interested. I said I was and my phone number was requested. I was told by this person he would contact ebay through his account and ebay would contact me with their bank details of an interest free account and they would hold the monies until I said I wanted the car. He said he would ensure I was on a payment protection scheme where if I didnt want the vehicle I could get a full refund. I was given a story that he had been divorced and had moved to Scotland and he would pay the shipping fee as he wantd a fast sale. A congratulations with all the ebay logos on was then received by myself via e-mail. Not being a user of ebay everything seemed legitimate. I then got an invoice via e-mail once again with the ebay logos and all the assurance of payment protection on it with a Barclays bank account number, sort code, reference and a beneficiary name. The invoice had a live chat facility and I indeed used this and questioned if this was a legitimate transaction. The answer came back by live chat this was legitimate. I went on this live chat about 6 times to ensure this was legitimate and all seemed well. I thought with Barclays bank account this was legitimate to. I was wrong!!!!!! When I went back on to the live chat an hour after the vehicle should have been delived it still worked but kept stating we are sorry our operatives are with other customers we will be with you shortly but this never materialised and I was not answered. The next day I phoned ebay direct askng for a full refund to be told this was not their account and had nothing to do with them!!!!!! I phoned Barclays and told them this account should be frozen because it was obviously being used for fraudulent activities. I was fobbed off and told by a Barclays member of the fraud dept it would be passed to the relevant dept which I had, in fact, phoned. I have contacted the police and they are investigating. I'm a bit peeved at Barclays complete lack of interest in this and would like to know if there is anyway I could get my money back from Barclays as I this bank account is obviously some kind of holding account for fraudulent activites. I am quite willing to phone every day if I have to do. Advice please. It was a couple of grand I have lost. If there is any way at all I can try and get my money back I will more than willing to try this.

Yours hopefully
    Last edited by Tools; 14th October 2013 at 23:24:PM. Reason: Adding Team Message

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)

Default Re: Barclays and vehicle scam via ebay and gumtree

This scam has been doing the rounds for a few months.

Vehicle advertised as London but upon contact they say that for work they have moved to Scotland and vehicle not available for viewing (well who from the south east will travel that far for a 2-4 k vehicle?)
    They then say that they can accept payment via Paypal/Ebay etc. They also state that you are protected by Ebays Buying Protection, but Ebay dont offer protection for vehicles.

We complained at the time to AutoTrader etc. Not interested.
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

labman Guest

Sadly, as Celestine states, it is a well known scam. I'm afraid you have to put your faith in the police, but it is highly unlikely the money remained in this country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thx labman and celastine,

Just be honest I thought as much I'm going for Barclays Bank and their CEO, a nuisance can by very annoying and I plan on being that nuisance!!!!!!!

What about Watchdog has anybody you know of tried them to bring this to the fore because ebay and gumtree should have advertised this scam on their sites as well??

Yours thankfully

labman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Agerag View Post
    Thx labman and celastine,

Just be honest I thought as much I'm going for Barclays Bank and their CEO, a nuisance can by very annoying and I plan on being that nuisance!!!!!!!

What about Watchdog has anybody you know of tried them to bring this to the fore because ebay and gumtree should have advertised this scam on their sites as well??

Yours thankfully
    They may have it somewhere on their sites. Autotrader certainly do.

Unsure about Watchdog as it is quite an old scam. Costs nothing to try though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sadly this is an experience I can share as I too have been a victim of this scam in October. I a novice to purchasing goods on Ebay fell for this scam. I was then given the run around by the Bank, Ebay and would you believe the Police. I have learned so much and I have not given up on getting my money back. I contacted Ebay all over the world before getting the correct details to send my letter of complaint to. You need to start with a Crime Reference Number to get any joy. Once I had it I went on the Chat in Costume Service on Ebay I then learned the day I agreed to purchase the car the fraudster has his id removed from Ebay for Fraud. Ebay did not contact all the other members in his in box. Had I received this information I would not have gone to Barclays and parted with my money. I was equally disappointed with Barclays they were so unhelpful. I now have the Police on the case. I have recently written to all the parties asking for cooperation to recover my money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Agerag View Post
    Hi,

Can anyone help. I have been well and truely scammed. I saw an advert on gumtree for a vehicle and posted my details. I was contacted by email by someone giving me the vehicle details and asking if i was still interested. I said I was and my phone number was requested. I was told by this person he would contact ebay through his account and ebay would contact me with their bank details of an interest free account and they would hold the monies until I said I wanted the car. He said he would ensure I was on a payment protection scheme where if I didnt want the vehicle I could get a full refund. I was given a story that he had been divorced and had moved to Scotland and he would pay the shipping fee as he wantd a fast sale. A congratulations with all the ebay logos on was then received by myself via e-mail. Not being a user of ebay everything seemed legitimate. I then got an invoice via e-mail once again with the ebay logos and all the assurance of payment protection on it with a Barclays bank account number, sort code, reference and a beneficiary name. The invoice had a live chat facility and I indeed used this and questioned if this was a legitimate transaction. The answer came back by live chat this was legitimate. I went on this live chat about 6 times to ensure this was legitimate and all seemed well. I thought with Barclays bank account this was legitimate to. I was wrong!!!!!! When I went back on to the live chat an hour after the vehicle should have been delived it still worked but kept stating we are sorry our operatives are with other customers we will be with you shortly but this never materialised and I was not answered. The next day I phoned ebay direct askng for a full refund to be told this was not their account and had nothing to do with them!!!!!! I phoned Barclays and told them this account should be frozen because it was obviously being used for fraudulent activities. I was fobbed off and told by a Barclays member of the fraud dept it would be passed to the relevant dept which I had, in fact, phoned. I have contacted the police and they are investigating. I'm a bit peeved at Barclays complete lack of interest in this and would like to know if there is anyway I could get my money back from Barclays as I this bank account is obviously some kind of holding account for fraudulent activites. I am quite willing to phone every day if I have to do. Advice please. It was a couple of grand I have lost. If there is any way at all I can try and get my money back I will more than willing to try this.

Yours hopefully
    hello my friend i have just experienced the same as you, and it was barclays, i am with you if you want to go and meet the ceo. i have contacted them, but they wont put me through, i lost a lot more than you much more, i wont let this die, i am thinking about getting a private investigator on it, the reason why i fell for it, i was getting the car checked out not the buyer. i went phoned barclays and went into the chaps account, and even told me my name, i was going to create outside barclays, because they are to me aidng and abeiting this, i went into a branch he was very helpful he logged into the account and said there are 4 investigations in his account, i suspect the money is already out the country, i know how you are feeling, i feel so stupid p,m if you want

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I fell victim to the same scam. I reported it to Barclays on the 7th December and have received a 'final response' telling me they've investigated the matter fully and I need to take it to the Financial Ombudsman if I wasnt further action.
    Clearly I am not satisfied with this response as there are many of us out there who have been scammed using this Barclays account. I'm trying to compile a log of all who have been scammed by the same guy Mike Preston/Devlin. The account details are below.

Account number - 63463990
    Sort code - 20-29-41 (Edgware Road)
    Account holder: T Nowak

If this is the same as in your case please E-mail me: vickiwonders@hotmail.com and let me know when you reported this to Barclays as I intend to pursue this for as long as it takes, but the more evidence we have of negligence by Barclays the stronger our case will be.

Yours hopefully

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

just found out that my scammers bank is in muswell hill, surely there is a way we can find out where they live,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Under the Money Laundering Regulations, the person who opened that account needed to provide the bank with some proof of identity such as a passport or photo driver's licence; whilst those could be faked, it is not a trivial matter.

Have you reported this to Action Fraud?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Meanwhile, here - link - is another "escrow account" fraud that is rather amusing - the fraudster got scammed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CleverClogs View Post
    Under the Money Laundering Regulations, the person who opened that account needed to provide the bank with some proof of identity such as a passport or photo driver's licence; whilst those could be faked, it is not a trivial matter.

Have you reported this to Action Fraud?
    yes i have contacted them, but what they told me was the get 600 cases a day and do not habe the man power, so it looks like i will have to get a private investigator on it, one way or another i fullying intent to see this through, it seems a shame that the data protection act protects the crimminals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CleverClogs View Post
    Meanwhile, here - link - is another "escrow account" fraud that is rather amusing - the fraudster got scammed.
    that was fantastic, really enjoyed that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I too nearly got scammed today. I seen a car yesterday on gumtree, I too gave him my email address, house address and phone number and he sent me an invoice from eBay.
    I contacted my bank today online to transfer the money across. Only for my bank to tell me that they won't send the money to that account. I was furious at first because I thought I was going to miss out on a good car. The guy told me to go to the bank tomorrow to transfer the money tomorrow.
    He isn't getting the money now I know it's a scam. I just want to know is it best I go to the police with the information I have now. And has anybody contacted watchdog yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, do tell the plods.

They might even arrest the fraudster eventually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have fallen for the same scam. I feel gutted and stupid, its ruining my life.
    I informed the police and Barclays. I spoke to the local branch manager yesterday and he was
    Basically just brushing it under the carpet. I don’t hold out much hope of getting this resolved.
    I spent a bit of time on the internet browsing forums and within an hour I found maybe 15-20 instances
    Of the same scam. People had listed the scammers details, all Barclays accounts, 6 from the same branch.
    People who reported it appear to have got nowhere. I told the manager I would inform my mp, the tv the papers
    Anywhere I could post it I would.

Barclays in my opinion are being used by these fraudsters probably because they can easily open accounts
    Without being challenged. Barclays must be doing something wrong or illegal.

I am really at a loss now of what to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We fell victim to same scam via Gumtree. I transfered money into a Barclays account which was suppose to be a brokering account to hold the funds. Contacted Barclays less than 5 working days after (when car didnt turn up) with crime reference number & they did nothing. At that point I am sure there was money in the account as the scammer was still in contact with us and seemed to be trying to buy time. It is ridiculous, i've written to Barclays to no avail, next stop Finanicial Ombusman, what else can we do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi, the same thing has just happened to my partner this week. Following bidding an email arrived from what looked like Ebay. Money was transferred to an account at Barclays Bank. Same situation: Barclays don't want to know and Ebay are not interested as neither a credit card or Paypal was used to send the money. We have reported to the police and have heard nothing.
    Have you had any luck since your post? Maybe we can join forces and try and sort this out together or with any other victims involved with this Ebay scam and money being sent to Barclays.
    I agree with you, Barclays should immediately freeze that account, but will it do that without police instruction.
    I would be very grateful if you could get back to me.
    Best regards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi, I have just replied to Agerag as the same scam has just happened to my partner this week.
    i have suggested that we join forces somehow. How are you getting on? Have you had a bbreakthrough?
    I would be very grateful for any suggestions. We need to be able to compare the Barclays account details to see if all the payments went to the same person, but I'm not sure if we can do that on this forum.
    Also, I would be interested to know if the same seller was used for all the bids.
    Would be so grateful if you could get back to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can we possibly all join forces to get a private investigator onto this? It seems that's the police are as good as useless and the only way we are gong to make progress is to do this ourselves.
    Please reply as soon as you can, it would be really great to hear from you. I too am determined to see this through, and am willing to do what ever it takes.
    Best regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi, I have a feeling that the scammers are the same people but using different account names and different branches of Barclays. I think we should all join for forces against Barclays Bank. Someone suggested a private investigator as the police don't want to know. I would be willing to do this. Or, at least if we can all sign off on one letter to Barclays insisting that they take responsibility for these account holders.
    Would be great to hear back from you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suseeq View Post
    I have a feeling that the scammers are the same people but using different account names and different branches of Barclays.
    Gosh!

Really?

Well, I never ... who would have supposed they might not use their real names?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes and I need to get everyone to liaise to force the Barclays CEO to look into this criminal activity as you mentioned, it could be Barclays are aiding and abetting by doing nothing and also surely they have a moral obligation to prevent criminal activity. So far I have only heard for you, so please, every one else that has commented here, please contact me. I will try to contact you all directly. Suseeq.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi everyone. I am glad i am not the only one that feels stupid here. My partner and i were scammed in January whilst attempting to purchase a motorhome on ebay. A large sum of money was paid into a Barclays account which we now know was opened up by using a Romanian id card and HSBC bank statement. The police have been as much use as a chocolate fire guard, ebay never respond to letters including recorded delivery, Barclays have turned down our claim. We have therefore logged a claim with the Ombudsman. We have provided them with at least 3 fraudulent accounts all opened at Barclays Leicester. Surely Barclays are not carrying out the necessary enquiries when opening these accounts as there seem to be so many.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suseeq View Post
    Yes and I need to get everyone to liaise to force the Barclays CEO to look into this criminal activity as you mentioned, it could be Barclays are aiding and abetting by doing nothing and also surely they have a moral obligation to prevent criminal activity. So far I have only heard for you, so please, every one else that has commented here, please contact me. I will try to contact you all directly. Suseeq.
    Hello Fellow scammed.
    its been a hard few days as my wife and i have just lost £8200 when trying to buy a campervan, same deal gumtree to ebay to Barclays in Leicestershire, as i write this i am 4 hrs past the delivery time 18.3.13 between 4/6pm. I cant comment on the police the now as we had them in our house 10 min after we called them and they are dew back tomorow to officially start the case,, 'Strathclyde Police' as im in Scotland.
    We are up for the fight on this one but funding things like private Detectives would be hard for us as this was our saveings im thinking more Financial Ombudsman and Watchdog the press etc. SUSEEQ we will contact you by mail to help this ball get rolling . thaks for now

Page 1 of 62 123451151 ... LastLast