• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Barclays and vehicle scam via ebay and gumtree

Oh, now the site is available again! It must have been a hick-up in system ...

Comment

• Re: Ebay & Gumtree Vehicle / Car Scams

They have many monitoring measures, for obvious reasons I cannot disclose them.

However, if you are referring to when a payment is made to an account, here in the UK (not sure how it works in Germany) the only two identifiers needed to process payment are the sort code and account number, the beneficiary name is disregarded. ( other than with some banks to provide the person paying a reference on their statement)
      Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

eBay Scamhunter is maintained by one of our members, who I am sure will be happy to introduce themselves next time they read this thread.
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

The blog is mine. Hello!

Comment

Comment

• Re: Ebay & Gumtree Vehicle Scam. Barclays provide Fraudsters Accounts

Hello, this is an older message of yours but may I ask you if you had any success in getting people for a class-action lawsuit?
              Thank you!

Comment

• Re: Ebay & Gumtree Vehicle / Car Scam. Barclays provide Fraudsters Accounts

Originally posted by kev526 View Post
                HI THE ACCOUNT THE MONEY WAS TRANSFERRED FROM MY HSBS ACCOUNT
                TO BARCLAYS ACCOUNT BELONGING TO
                S.A.WEBER
                SORT CODE 20-98-21
                ACCOUNT MEMBER 7356247 LEICESTER BRANCH
                E MAIL USED evelyn@globalbt.co.uk
                copy of one of first e-mails
                Hello Kev526, I notice that the Sort code is similar to the fraudulent account to which I lost my money:

Morgan Transport U.K. Ltd
                Bank name: Barclays Bank PLC Bank
                address: 748 Lordship Lane, Wood Green,London, N22 5JU United Kingdom
                Account number: 63797678 Sort code: 20-98-21

I guess the sort code shows the region.
                Have you made any progress?
                Kind regards,
                Annie
                Last edited by Tools; 3rd June 2015, 16:30:PM.

Comment

I've got six scam accounts listed against the Wood Green branch (I've just added yours to the blog), no doubt there are many more.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Jones View Post
                    I've got six scam accounts listed against the Wood Green branch (I've just added yours to the blog), no doubt there are many more.
                    Hello Rod Jones and thank you. A solicitor is investigating in our case, we hope to find out the true name of the account holder soon. When we reach this point, I will give you also the name and I will state the development of matters for all readers of the thread.
                    Best wishes,
                    Annie

Comment

Yesterday I had a chat (on Facebook) with a woman confessing her sins as a 'mule' eBay lister. She had seen an advert on Gumtree; you are all more than familiar with these by now. An offer of £150 in exchange for the use of an eBay account.

It relates to an eBay listing for a Fiat Ducato Kon-Tiki campervan on 12 July 2014

http://busterjack.blogspot.co.uk/201...at-ducato.html

Anyway this is what she had to say....

Hello... great job you're doing here.I just learnt my lesson the tough way recently, got scammed bad lol.If this helps in any way, the guy uses the email robert93982@gmail.com for contact and the phone number is 07719 372043... he has one more phone number as well ill send u when i find it.Thank you so much.
                      i cant be helped anymore its a long story.. I was desperately in need of a job and i saw one of his job postings on gumtree and i applied for it. He was looking for an ebay lister with a seller account to list motor homes for him. I applied because my paypal or money wasnt involved, it was just cash on collection job.
                      obviously i did not know it was a scam until i grew suspicious about a few things but it was too late... my ebay account was suspended forever
                      but i wasnt scammed out of any money, i just want to make sure no other person applies for those jobs because i was silly enough to do so.
                      To me it was traumatic because my long running ebay account was suspended indefinitely.
                      he said he would pay 150 quid per listing
                      and i fell for it

You were never paid, were you

nope. In fact I lost 15 quid for listing as a classified ad. He can still be contacted on robert93982@gmail.com .
                      he always responds quick on this email address
                      and when i confronted him that it was a scam and all and that he was a fraud he simply said that he was a motor home dealer since 12 years
                      he told me to forward him every customers message from ebay to his gmail and that he would contact them himself
                      i swear i did not know it

I understand that

I only fell for his advertisment on gumtree as I was looking for a stay at home job
                      I am so, so sorry
                      yes i wanted to spread the word and prevent other people from falling for such scams thats why i came across your profile.

We - and especially YOU - can only hope that there was no victim to the scam you were involved in

I am sure there was no victim because the listing did not even last 24 hours

That's probably because I found it, reported it, and it was deleted. That's what I do. I've reported over 11,000 scams just like that

I swear i have never ever even been remotely involved in this kind of trouble.
                      I am so sorry.

I believe you, don't worry

If you need any help from me I am more than readily available

Your first-hand experience could be useful

He said he would pay me this morning just because he wanted to prove he wasnt a fraud. of course i did not expect him to so i did not ask him about it this morning
                      but if you want me to talk to him i could do that, he usually responds within minutes

They never pay. Ever.

lol of course they dont!!

Have you actually spoken to him? (not text/email)

no

I thought not

he was rather reluctant to talk on phone

Of course

in fact... when i applied for the gumtree job, the text went to one number and his reply came from another
                      my ebay user name is the exact same as you busted...
                      i dont know if you can see or not but i was always an honest seller and buyer.

I remember it

yes it was suspended yesterday
                      i am so worried now. Do you think there's anything i should do like go to the police?

If you were able to talk to him on the phone, that would have been useful
                      Do you live in or near London?

no
                      I am from manchester

If you could make verbal contact, that would interest the police.

I swear I did not know Jack I really did not
                      I have never even dealt with cars before i dont even own one
                      I fell for a false and attractive job opportunity
                      oh gosh
                      i am a normal person mother of one i used to sell bits and bobs on ebay
                      are there others like me who fell for this

There are many others who have done exactly what you did

whenever i've seen something wrong ive always reported it to the police. I'm not a bad person. There was an attempted car robbery in front of my house and i relayed everything to the police. I had absolutely no idea or bad intention
                      I dont know about that jack. FOr all I know i am terribly worried at the moment. I'll kill myself if i fall in any more trouble.
                      thanks so much for your help and of course for everything that you do.
                      If i ever come across any scams ill let you know!

Please do

ill be off then. and keep my fingers crossed i dont go looking for trouble. sorry for what i did. i feel horrible.
                      good bye.

Chat conversation end
                      Seen Sun 16:39
                      Last edited by Buster Jack; 14th July 2014, 17:40:PM. Reason: Make smaller/easier to read

Comment

Sorry that I tend to come and go but chasing after scammers and their fraudulent adverts is tiring and my health isn't always perfect.

No matter - tormenting criminals gives me some satisfaction.

I came across this article today.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/c...d-victim.html?

You can complain to the crook, bank tells victim of Google Wallet van fraud
                        I'll avoid adding my suggestion to them because I'm neither rude NOR stupid.

But this does not explain why so many vehicle sale scams involve accounts at Barclays. Has Barclays become a soft touch as far as opening an account is concerned?

Without too much effort, I found reports of well over a dozen identical frauds, all using accounts at Barclays. Perhaps the bank should put more effort into spotting those high quality fake ID papers – or are other banks just as vulnerable, I wonder?

I didn't say it

Banks cannot claim that opening accounts for use in fraud is an Act of God (I speak as someone who worked all my life in UK banking) and, if UK banks are so easily duped, I'd wonder how it is they are entrusted to administer people's money. Perhaps if they were losing their own money, they might be a little more cautious.

The 'mantra' they repeat that they follow the procedures is all very well, but if they lost £10,000 at every counter each day, they wouldn't tolerate a shrug of the shoulders and such a lame excuse from their cashiers. Even in my day we 'profiled' criminals, which is otherwise known as learning by experience. Even though banks may not lose money through this practice, they do risk losing something much more important - trust and credibility - and they don't have much left to lose.

Comment

I don't think she'll do it again. You handled her really well, must have been quite an awful realisation once she sussed what was actually going on.

I've posted the number and email up on a new thread for googlers.

(also edited your post a bit so its more obvious who's who)
                          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

In response to Buster Jack's post I posted this at SW the other day - an ebay recruitment scam that was sent to me via total jobs.com. I have a profile there even though I'm not looking for a job because I'm aware that many job offers are merely thinly disguised frauds and scams.

Earn an Extra Cash Working Home - Immediate Start16

Ipswich (IP10)
                            Salary from £200 to £500 per day
                            Part Time
                            ERS
                            Molli P
                            Ref: Totaljobs/60072221

Good day!
                            I'm looking for a seller assistant to help me run my sales. This part time position will take up you 1 hour a day and
                            your possible wage will reach 500-800 per week immediately start.

The process is VERY simple so please contact me at : mollipekka@gmail.com
                            Our requirements: Excellent communication skills.
                            If interested you should be ready and able to START immediately and we will give you the detailed job description.
                            CONTACT AND SEND CV HERE :

mollipekka@gmail.com

With Best Regards,
                            Full Time / Part Time Neg.

A Google search on the email address reveals what this scammer is after

http://www.wages.com.au/community-sp...using-manager/

EBAY SELLER NEED Earn $2000 $3000 PER WEEK

Don\\\'t miss the best paid job (earn $2000 - $3000 p/w)
                            Get the best job in the World!
                            GREAT OPPORTUNITY TO EARN MORE MONEY EVERY DAY
                            To apply for this job please contact me directly at: mollipekka@gmail.com

I am looking for a e.Bay seller with good e.Bay account and feedback who are ready to put forth the effort to earn money!

- Starting date: ASAP
                            - Remuneration - $150 per item
                            - Job Title - Ecommerce Support
                            - Working - Part time

The role includes the following responsibilities:

1. Listing items on e.Bay
                            2. Processing orders
                            3. Customer service support

The process is VERY simple so please read carefully to have a full understanding for the job.

- I will pay for all e.Bay and Pay.pal fees, and I will provide all listing details and photos as well as ship the items to the customers. All you need to do is list the item and send me the customer's shipping info after they've paid so I can ship their item. I will ship and send you a tracking number. When the item arrives to the customer, you send the payment to me (minus your $150 and any/all e.Bay & Pay.pal fees). I always ship within 24 hours and answer emails quickly - keeping the customers happy has always been a top priority.

Skills & Experiences:

- E.bay Experience
                            - Computer Literate

Send your e.Bay ID, so I can check your feedback.

To apply for this job please contact me directly at: mollipekka@gmail.com

The scammer will list items at attractive prices on a victim's ebay account and he'll make you believe he's posting out the goods so that you'll be fooled in to sending him the receipts when they come in. The punch line is that he won't have sent anything and your account will be charged back for all the sales you've made. At best your ebay account will be trashed and you'll have a lot of money to pay back to people who haven't received goods. At worst you'll be prosecuted for operating an ebay scam.

Effectively the scammer wants to steal money from you using your ebay account. It isn't a job at all.

Comment

after reading annie's posts it got me thinking about what tools has correctly stated about the banks not knowing that accounts are being used for fraudulant purposes until money goes in then withdrawn within hours. The BANKS SHOULD be seeing a pattern of the mehod used by the fraudsters to open accounts or potential mules opening accounts, i would wager money on most accounts a uk passport was used NOT USED to open the MULE ACOUNT and probably some kind on EU ID CARD which NEEDS TIGHTENING UP,. My main point is that the fraudsters are using INTERNET ADVERTS as a platform to lure potential victims of this online car fraud such as GUM TREE/EBAY AUTOTRADER, it is no secret that the fraudsters are using this method and have been doing so at least 3 years, as tools correctly state the banks powerless to stop this as when reported accounts are shut down, SO WHY CAN THESE ONLINE ADVERT SITES CARRY ON ON A DAILY BASIS WHEN WE KNOW AND ALL OR MOST STAFF WHO WORK FOR THESE ONLINE SITES KNOW THAT THERE SITE IS CARRYING Illeagle ADS BUT CAN JUST WASH THERE HANDS OF IT ??, THE BANKS

See below !!
                              Last edited by dixie2013; 15th July 2014, 20:09:PM. Reason: spellling, the word NOT USED added!!

Comment

Cant react until its reported to them by that time its too late!! but the online sites actually know the fraudulant ADS are there and are powerless to stop it as there are that many to stay on top of , so the difference is the banks don't know until the moneys gone but the ad sites know it happening right under there noses !!! So in my opinion are turning a blind eye to the situation as there revenue streams are not affected there not interested at all
                                Last edited by dixie2013; 15th July 2014, 20:35:PM. Reason: spelling grammar lol

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X