• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ebay & Gumtree Vehicle Scam. Barclays provide Fraudsters Accounts

Also been scammed by same so called Buyer Protection Scam. Barcalys Bank ACC No: 73729095, Sort Code: 20-53-04 Beneficiary I.Dolanescu. Advert on Ebay. Followed by emails back and forth with the seller who is now in Glasgow after going through a Divorce. Sounds very similar to a thread or scenairo I've read on here. Photos of the so called car that I have purchased appear to be from a previous listed ebay listing. My car is due to arrive on Tueday though I don't think this is happening and have started both police proceding and contacted Ebay directly who confirm no such service exists.

How do we stop these crooks and secondly persue the Banks for refunds. My own bank HSBC put all owness on me and won't do a thing. They were very rude in the matter and will be closing my account once cleared with the police.

Comment

20-53-04 is Barclays Tottenham 2, not the first scam account to be opened there.

Comment

Originally posted by gbsolway View Post
        Account no. 33752747 sort code. 20-96- 55 Barclays Bank, Scrubbs Lane, Leicester,LE87 2BB, Tel 08457555555 They will not take or give any information. "Data protection ?" More like "fraudster or scammer protection"
        If you've been scammed by the above account you may wish to take a look at the following Facebook post. Barclays were informed of this account on the 11th of May. https://www.facebook.com/BarclaysUK/...70223169679221

Comment

I also have been scammed . The Ombudsman cannot help us but said we must all contact the F.C.A.( Financial Conduct Authority) and they will act on our behalf. 0800 111 6768. We must show that Barclays are allowing accounts to be opened for fraudulent use.

Comment

I was scammed on E bay, 11th May for £7000. Money paid into Barclays. Account no.33752747 Sort code. 20-96-55 Action Fraud advised me to phone FCA on above number, they said only the police can do something. Been in touch with Santander (my bank) Barclays, Ebay, my MP, trading standards, action fraud, FCA, police, no help, no feedback. I think bye bye to my hard earned money. Barclays are very good to provide these fraudsters with banking facilities, these scum could not do their "work" without a bank account. Ebay are close behind Barclays, providing a shop window for the parasites.
            Would appreciate any help or advise on this matter or feedback from other victims. Thanks

Comment

The list posted a few pages back can be found here, I've updated it with a few other accounts that have since appeared either here or on Barclays' Facebook page.

Comment

My partner has also been a recent victim of this scam, reported to everybody I can think of.

FCA have replied

'Your concerns have been forwarded to the team within the FCA responsible for the conduct supervision of the Barclays bank and they will determine if any regulatory action needs to be taken.'

Would recommend everybody contact them to ensure they take it seriously, I e-mailed them on
                Consumer.Queries@fca.org.uk

We have a meeting with MP next month. Would like to take a list of other victims to show how huge this scam is, if you want to be included then e-mail me please.

Comment

Worth a read

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/n...d-exposed.html

Comment

There's much to be said on this topic, but being my first post, I'll try to keep it short.

Those of you intending to pursue claims and complaints might be interested by this news article.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/scamm...420-2i6xe.html

Scammed tourists begin class action.

Australian holidaymakers are pursuing a class action lawsuit against one of the world's largest banks after hundreds of false accounts were used in an international travel scam.
                    Over the past 18 months, tourists have wired millions of dollars into accounts with London-based Barclays Bank to pay for luxury accommodation
                    Of course I'm not suggesting that victims should organise a class action law suit in the IK, but this demonstrates that there is a major problem/threat that cannot be deterred by the 'head in the sand' stance of banks and the authorities. They appear to have no clue as to how to deal with it and little intention of trying.

I could post further associated news articles, but this is the most relevant and revealing.

It is major international organised crime, centred on the UK, because you have to be here to open an account. Well, that's what they say anyway.

Barclays Bank are legally vulnerable if they allow accounts that have previously been reported as involved in fraud to be used subsequently. How you obtain legal redress is another issue but their legal responsibilities are clear and precise. It is self-evident that if an account is being perpetually used to launder stolen funds, then they aren't fulfilling their statutory responsibilities. The ludicrous thing is that apart from letting down victims, they are also exposing their shareholders to the associated risk of class action law suits, and they have no control over which company or system will be hacked next, and a US company law suit would have devastating consequences. Anyway, enough discussion of hypothetical risk.

It is not difficult to see how this scheme/scam works, and even the police are well aware, in spite of their apparent cluelessness. This article from last year demonstrates the point.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...icle864442.ece

Police arrest cybergangs’ ‘money mules’
                    It is a myth that no one knows anything about the problem unless banks and the police are suffering from selective amnesia.

The arrangement by which the scammers come to the UK and open accounts with fake Romanian ID cards is long established and well organised and isn't difficult to uncover. They are imported on what appears an 18-30 holiday break with organisers acting as virtual 'holiday reps' presumably with the bank accounts funding the trips. I even have an example of a fake Romanian ID and I wonder if those that Barclays accept are similarly poor photoshopped efforts, Not that I expect many here would know a fake Romanian ID from a real one. The point being that if such simple ploys can so easily make a mockery of UK money laundering regulations, what's the point ?

Enough for now. I'll post more later.

I am actively seeking out bank accounts and I discovered one, that when i investigated more deeply, it had me baffled. The surname in Romanian didn't exist and translated to 'YOUFOOL' which demonstrates how seriously the scammers view Barclays' 'stringent' security. I'd love to see the ID accepted on that account. I can provide details.

I am hoping to be able to locate one of the 'safe houses' they're using, probably the same as the ones they used last time.
                    Last edited by Boycie; 7th July 2013, 14:19:PM. Reason: Verbal miscombobulation

Comment

Hi

I have also been scammed for £3000 on a car. Same story as everyone else, a guy called Adam Nowak and payment went through a Barclays Bank acc.
                      Police and Barclays telling me they cannot do anything, am at my wits end! Something needs to be done!! Barclays were not interested at all!

Comment

If you willingly paid the money into someones account why should the bank or police get involved? the one to pursue through the courts if needs should be adam Nowak,now you will say you cannot contact him or even have an address where he can be reached,fraid to say the likelihood of you getting it back is very low you will have to put this down to experience and in future think and check out everything and pay money when you meet the seller and what your buying is genuine.No doubt I will be slagged of for my comments but this saga of scams will carry on if people continue to feed the scammers

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                          If you willingly paid the money into someones account why should the bank or police get involved? the one to pursue through the courts if needs should be adam Nowak,now you will say you cannot contact him or even have an address where he can be reached,fraid to say the likelihood of you getting it back is very low you will have to put this down to experience and in future think and check out everything and pay money when you meet the seller and what your buying is genuine.No doubt I will be slagged of for my comments but this saga of scams will carry on if people continue to feed the scammers
                          Not sure as yet whether I agree with you - it would appear that the 'credibility' of the scam lies with the fact that the arrangement for payment was via a 'secure' bank account.
                          If the bank knows/knew/suspected that there was an scam, but did little to investigate for the protection of its own reputation &, of course, clients' money, I think they should be held at least partly accountable.
                          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                          gets his brain a-going.
                          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

You shouldn't get slagged off for stating the obvious Wales..I happen to agree with you..it amazes me that anyone would give money to a person they've never seen for a vehicle they've never seen but is supposedly hundreds of miles away. It doesn't make sense,,,but i suppose the joy of getting a 'bargain' supercedes common sense.
                            Barclays won't do anything about it whilst they don't have to,,same as the police. The victims haven't been forced into paying their money out..they do it of their own free will...it's a scam but that's all it is. The fault lies with the victims sadly.Easy answer is,,if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck..it's a duck....and if it seems too good to be true it probably is.

Oh,.and for clarity..I don't mean it's RIGHT that the banks won't get involved,,nor do I think it's right that the police won't get involved but the victims do have to acknowledge they are to blame too.

Comment

Victims have a major problem in that most don't fully understand what's happened and the implications, and they are not alone.

To make an electronic payment you will be asked to provide a minimum of three items of information to identify the beneficiary's account - his/her name, his/her account number and branch sorting code.

You may be surprised to learn that one of those items of information is largely irrelevant and, as an extreme example, you could put the name of Elvis Bluebottle on every payment you ever make and it's unlikely to affect where it goes. If you make an error in the sorting code and/or account number, then it will go to that account, if it exists and whether you get the money back is down to the co-operation of the unintended recipient. If they don't agree, you won't get your money back unless you take legal action against them. Most banks don't verify or check the payee's name and they aren't legally required to do so.

Of course your first problem will be that you won't actually know the identity of the actual recipient and, if you believe you've been scammed, you can be fairly certain that you won't have a real name of the account and, depending on the ID used to open the account, the name on the actual account (which you don't know) may be fictitious too.

if the scam accounts aren't dealt with the problem will increase like wildfire as 'copycats' get in on the act.

It is misleading to the remitter of an electronic payment to include a beneficiary name that has no function in determining where the payment goes, and who receives the money. That might not be so important if scammers weren't using this defect/exploit on such a large scale to perform fraud. Why this is happening at all is a major concern, especially as the current level of fraud suggests that it is going to become an even greater problem.

There is good evidence to show that there is a large reserve of scam accounts available for use in this type of fraud and the scope for their fraudulent use has barely been explored. Currently the losers have largely been the initiators of payments and there is therefore no economic reason for banks to act, though money laundering regulations make it clear that this should not be possible or allowed. This short sighted view ignores the inevitability that these accounts will eventually be used to perform fraud against the banks holding them, and the ways this can be done are simple. I speculate that the fraudsters are content with the current status quo position, but it won't last.
                              Last edited by Boycie; 10th July 2013, 11:41:AM.

Comment

• Re: Barclays and vehicle scam via ebay and gumtree

Originally posted by Celestine View Post
                                This scam has been doing the rounds for a few months.

Vehicle advertised as London but upon contact they say that for work they have moved to Scotland and vehicle not available for viewing (well who from the south east will travel that far for a 2-4 k vehicle?)
                                They then say that they can accept payment via Paypal/Ebay etc. They also state that you are protected by Ebays Buying Protection, but Ebay dont offer protection for vehicles.

We complained at the time to AutoTrader etc. Not interested.
                                To everyone that has been scammed by this car fraud- me included through Barclays bank. The Obudsman cannot help but they said we must contact the F.C.A ( Financial Conduct Authority) and they will act upon it. Their phone number is 0800 111 6768.
                                We must all do this as Barclays are allowing bank accounts to be opened for fraudulent use! This is our only hope of getting our money back by complaining about Barclays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X